Is Derrick Rose already one of the top 20 players in the NBA?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
It might be a stretch but he already is the best PG in the Eastern Conference, IMO.

He's handle the transition to the NBA easily and he's, by far, the best rookie in the NBA.

I know he has to prove it over a longer period of time but I think the argument could be made.

5 star bomb

EOG Master
Re: Is Derrick Rose already one of the top 20 players in the NBA?

yes easily.... He is the 3rd best pg in the game right now. Only behind Paul and Deron

Not until he has played a full season. I want to see how he adjusts the second time around the league. He has exposed all of the Bulls crappy draft picks though.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

It might be a stretch but he already is the best PG in the Eastern Conference, IMO.

He's handle the transition to the NBA easily and he's, by far, the best rookie in the NBA.

I know he has to prove it over a longer period of time but I think the argument could be made.

Devin Harris from the Nets might have something to say about that best point guard in the East talk.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Not until he has played a full season. I want to see how he adjusts the second time around the league. He has exposed all of the Bulls crappy draft picks though.

Yeah, I agree with that. Not sure how the league can really adjust to him though. He seems to be able to get by any defender with his quickness. If he can develop a steady jumper I'd say he may be better than Chris Paul. I might be reaching now though.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Yeah, I agree with that. Not sure how the league can really adjust to him though. He seems to be able to get by any defender with his quickness. If he can develop a steady jumper I'd say he may be better than Chris Paul. I might be reaching now though.

woah woah woah.... slow down man!! Rose is great but lets not say hes better than Rose just yet!!

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Devin Harris from the Nets might have something to say about that best point guard in the East talk.

Devin Harris has been terrific this year and he's the only one I'd consider taking ahead of Rose. Would you take Harris ahead of Rose for the future?

WVU

EOG Master

much better than I thought he would be at this point. This guy is a super stud

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

woah woah woah.... slow down man!! Rose is great but lets not say hes better than Rose just yet!!

I don't think he's better than Paul yet. I said I think he has a ceiling that could be higher than Paul's. He's stronger and quicker than Paul, but Paul has better vision and a better jumper right now.

There's no question that Paul is better now, but I'm saying that there's a chance Rose will be better than him.

There will be junk defenses thrown at him. You already see teams trap him at midcourt and dumbass Hughes shoots instead of getting the ball back to Derrick.

I would take Rose ahead of Harris, but Harris is darn good too.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Ben Gordon taking the ball in the 4th quarter and acting like the best player is a disgrace. A lot of the players on the Bulls are too selfish to just understand that Rose is the best player, and their only hope.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Ben Gordon taking the ball in the 4th quarter and acting like the best player is a disgrace. A lot of the players on the Bulls are too selfish to just understand that Rose is the best player, and their only hope.

Gordon is the Go To Scorer on the Bulls no doubt about it... He has the best jumper by far and is our best scoring option... Rose is our best player though. I am fine with either 2 of them taking clutch shots down the stretch

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I don't think he's better than Paul yet. I said I think he has a ceiling that could be higher than Paul's. He's stronger and quicker than Paul, but Paul has better vision and a better jumper right now.

There's no question that Paul is better now, but I'm saying that there's a chance Rose will be better than him.

oh ok... ya i agree with that then. Dude i still cant believe how lucky we were to land the #1 pick :+excited-

Gordon is the Go To Scorer on the Bulls no doubt about it... He has the best jumper by far and is our best scoring option... Rose is our best player though. I am fine with either 2 of them taking clutch shots down the stretch

You have to have two scorers on the floor in the 4th, no problems here. Its when everyone else has the ball. And what the hell happened to Deng? Game has regressed big-time.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I don't mind him taking shots, but he should be allowing Rose to create. Late in games Ben thinks he's the damn point guard. He doesn't let Rose create. It's a joke.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

You have to have two scorers on the floor in the 4th, no problems here. Its when everyone else has the ball. And what the hell happened to Deng? Game has regressed big-time.

Man I was sooo big on Deng. Not sure what the fuck is wrong with him. He is a slasher, and he needs to stop taking so many 17 footers and start cutting to the cup, Rose will find him. Deng is still a nice player but 2 years ago I thought he was a rising superstar.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

chicago will never rise out of the east with kirk hinrich being the second highest paid player on the team. rose is a stud, but its the same story with him now as always. he needs to develop the 20 footer and be that clutch guy who can bury the deep 3 and not just drive to the hoop. went to many a practice when he was here in memphis. he never really wanted to sit outside the arc and practice. he just doesnt have the discipline to stay put and learn that deep 3 shot. he is so energetic and those happy feet wont let him not drive to the hole.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

chicago will never rise out of the east with kirk hinrich being the second highest paid player on the team. rose is a stud, but its the same story with him now as always. he needs to develop the 20 footer and be that clutch guy who can bury the deep 3 and not just drive to the hoop. went to many a practice when he was here in memphis. he never really wanted to sit outside the arc and practice. he just doesnt have the discipline to stay put and learn that deep 3 shot. he is so energetic and those happy feet wont let him not drive to the hole.

i nominate this as dumbest post of the year.... Rose can get to the cup as good as any pg in the game

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Not disciplined? Paxson said Rose is the hardest worker he's ever seen, outside of Jordan. Rose is shooting 38% from the three point line this year, and his jumper has already gotten much better as the year has gone on.

Panic

EOG Dedicated

Best PG in the Eastern conf? Are you forgetting about Devin Harris? Guy just lit up the scoreboard the other night for 47. He is averaging 25 and 6.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

i nominate this as dumbest post of the year.... Rose can get to the cup as good as any pg in the game[/QUOTE.

i know he is one of the best at going to the hole. i didnt say he wasnt. can you not read homer? thats not going to cut it sometimes. my point is that he doesnt like to practice sitting outside the arc. sure he has gotten a little better with his range but for one thing, he doesnt attempt enough 3s and he doesnt seem to trust his shot sometimes...therefor he drives to the basket. until he has the confidence to shoot the long ball, he will always be the 3rd or 4th best guard

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

i nominate this as dumbest post of the year.... Rose can get to the cup as good as any pg in the game[/QUOTE.

i know he is one of the best at going to the hole. i didnt say he wasnt. can you not read homer? thats not going to cut it sometimes. my point is that he doesnt like to practice sitting outside the arc. sure he has gotten a little better with his range but for one thing, he doesnt attempt enough 3s and he doesnt seem to trust his shot sometimes...therefor he drives to the basket. until he has the confidence to shoot the long ball, he will always be the 3rd or 4th best guard

Michael Jordan was never a great outside shooter, and Dwyane Wade isn't. He doesn't need a three point shot to be great. He attempts 1 three a game and he's shooting 38%. He plays to his strengths.

Can you link me to where they said he doesn't like to practice his outside jumper. All I've read is that he wants to win and works harder to get better at all aspects of his game than anyone.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

cant link you, can only tell you what ive seen in person and what the memphis coaches have told me about it. maybe he has changed his practice around a little bit since going pro but the bottom line is is that if he has an open 3 or a chance to drive to the basket, he is driving. this isnt always what coaches want out of a guard. at his position, he should be putting up 2 or 3 times more 3s than he is imo

dude, you really think jordan wasnt a good outside shooter, the guy was fucking money 15-20 feet. thats why he was the best in the game.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

cant link you, can only tell you what ive seen in person and what the memphis coaches have told me about it. maybe he has changed his practice around a little bit since going pro but the bottom line is is that if he has an open 3 or a chance to drive to the basket, he is driving. this isnt always what coaches want out of a guard. at his position, he should be putting up 2 or 3 times more 3s than he is imo

dude, you really think jordan wasnt a good outside shooter, the guy was fucking money 15-20 feet. thats why he was the best in the game.

Wade would drive to the hoop over taking an open three; so would Lebron. There's nothing wrong with that. Great PG's are drivers first.

You said outside shooting. Rose's mid range game has already improved drastically. Jordan also was far from a great shooter when he came in the league.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

like i said in almost every fucking post, he needs to work more on his outside shooting and deep 3 if he is even gonna be put in the same breath as "the best" in the league. why bring up wade or james? they serve totally different roles for their team. hey, i love the kid, i wish he were still here in memphis, then we would have some hope. as it is, he is doing great but isnt one of the best until he trusts his outside shot more and takes more shots.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

like i said in almost every fucking post, he needs to work more on his outside shooting and deep 3 if he is even gonna be put in the same breath as "the best" in the league. why bring up wade or james? they serve totally different roles for their team. hey, i love the kid, i wish he were still here in memphis, then we would have some hope. as it is, he is doing great but isnt one of the best until he trusts his outside shot more and takes more shots.

why does he have to be a great 3pt shooter? that is just dumb. Kidd isnt a very good outside shooter

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Ok. We'll agree to disagree I guess. Wade is the PG of that team. I think he's proved that he's one of the best in the league already, top 20, but that's just me. Memphis basketball will only get better as the year goes on.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

why does he have to be a great 3pt shooter? that is just dumb. Kidd isnt a very good outside shooter

my point is that if he is going to be in that "the best" discussion, he has to be an outside threat when its crunch time. right now, imo, he isnt. you cant count on him to bury a long shot if thats all thats given. most of his points are scored off his ability to drive. he will get there, i have no doubt, but there are just so many better shooting guards right now. he is definitely one of the best slashers to the basket already though. do you ever get to go to any games? i know he has brought some excitement back to the bball fans

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

There are better shooting guards, but he's a point guard.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

my point is that if he is going to be in that "the best" discussion, he has to be an outside threat when its crunch time. right now, imo, he isnt. you cant count on him to bury a long shot if thats all thats given. most of his points are scored off his ability to drive. he will get there, i have no doubt, but there are just so many better shooting guards right now. he is definitely one of the best slashers to the basket already though. do you ever get to go to any games? i know he has brought some excitement back to the bball fans

havent been to any games yet unfortunately... I will hit up 1 or 2 for sure though.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/fullcourtpress/2009/11/in_which_i_urge_you_not_to_wor.html

In Which I Urge You Not To Worry About Derrick Rose

By <ADDRESS class="vcard author">Ricky O'Donnell</ADDRESS>on <ABBR class=published title=2009-11-19T01:14:09-06:00>November 19, 2009 1:14 AM

Hey "aughts", I'mma let you finish, but 2009 has to be one of the craziest years of all-time! Think of all the wacky stuff that has happened in the last 11 months. Vampires became our country's mythological creature of choice by a shockingly wide margin. Twitter took over the world seemingly overnight. Tom Delonge and Mark Hoppus kissed and made up. Full Court Press lost not one but two editors. The Taco Bell dog died. And, oh yeah, let's not forget about whatever the hell happened during Michael Jackson's funeral.
This year has been wild. Insane, I tell you. The madness has even hit Chicago sports.
Never mind losing out on the Olympics, I'm more concerned about the damn-near-epic fall from grace that inflicted nearly all of our city's sports superstars. Alfonso Soriano put in, by far, the worst year of his career. Carlos Quentin went from a potential MVP candidate to a guy you expect to injure himself when he gets out of bed in the morning. Brian Urlacher missed an entire season with a wrist injury. Patrick Kane - tiny, innocent Patrick Kane - inexcusably beat up a Buffalo cab driver over 20 cents. Jay Cutler actually has some fans wishing for the return of Kyle Orton.
This brings us to the recent struggles of Derrick Rose.

</ABBR>John Jackson has an article in today's paper titled "Passive Rose has to get aggressive". It's a fine piece, notable mostly because Rose says he's not going to cut his hair until he gets out of this funk, and I happen to think Derrick Rose would look awesome with an afro.
But I digress.
Aggressiveness isn't Rose's problem right now. His problem is his bum ankle. No offense to our hard-working copy editors at the Sun-Times, but this article should really be titled "Injured Rose needs to get healthy".
If you've seen the Bulls at all this year, you can tell Rose isn't himself. His explosiveness looks like it's been reduced by 50 percent. He's settling for more jumpers because his ankle prevents him from taking guys off the dribble. It's not like Rose was a world class defender when healthy, but he looks worse on that side of the ball as well. Let's also not forget that he didn't play in the preseason or log as much practice time as everyone else. Besides for being injured, Rose may also be a little rusty.
Still, I urge you not to lose any sleep over Rose's slow start. He's still the savior. 10 sub-par games on a bum ankle doesn't change anything. At some point, Rose's ankle will get right, and his game will follow.
Go ahead and worry about Soriano, worry about that adorable taco-loving chihuahua, worry about all the other crazy stuff that could happen in the next month and a half. But don't worry about Derrick Rose. He'll be just fine.
Ricky O'Donnell is the editor of the Chicago sports blog Tremendous Upside Potential. Contact him at richardopodonnell@gmail.com.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Look out for Brandon Jennings.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Weird Viejo, started this thread about a month into the NBA season his rookie year. :LMAO

at the time of the post , no, now , top 6 player, 2nd best pg

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Well he's the best PG, but OK. GL to you this post season. Guy is gonna win the MVP but he's not the best PG? Solid.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Lol yeah, he's one of the best 20.