Delgado: 3-run HR called foul

Replays clearly showed a HR. There was even a ball mark on the foul pole, and a foul pole mark on the ball. Umps screwed up that call. There should be instant replay in baseball. The distance and where the ball hit the pole would have been difficult for the infield umpires to see.

I understand that the game result would not have mattered, but that's not the point.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: Delgado: 3-run HR called foul

I might be wrong but I thought the replay showed that it was clearly a foul ball.

The ball ricocheted off the black portion of the foul pole. Very tough to see in real-time, but the slow-motion replays showed the ball being deflected. That's a fair ball.

rainbow

EOG Master

The ball ricocheted off the black portion of the foul pole. Very tough to see in real-time, but the slow-motion replays showed the ball being deflected. That's a fair ball.[/quote
It was DEFINTELY a HR, they only REVIEWED IT ABOUT 10 TIMES.

The Devil

EOG Master

thing was the ump closest to the play said homerun and was overruled by umps that were in the distance...........

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Fair enough, I was listening and thought that J Morgan confirmed that the umps got it right. I guess this isn't the 1st time the commentators have been wrong.

rainbow

EOG Master

Fair enough, I was listening and thought that J Morgan confirmed that the umps got it right. I guess this isn't the 1st time the commentators have been wrong.
No, Joe Morgan said they blew the call.

louisvillekid

EOG Dedicated

i was for the Mets, so i'm bias and think they got it wrong, but the Mets won anyway.
the left field line has always been tricky at Yankee stadium. its weird how if you look down the 3rd base line from home or 3rd towards the wall, the foul-line on the wall is about 6-8 inches to the right of the foul pole, the the foul pole is painted yellow from top to about the last foot of the base of it, the very bottom of the pole is black, but the rest is yellow. the ball hit off the black part of the pole and kicked foul.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Really! I better cut down on the late night smoking sessions. Sorry about the miss info.

At least you admitted you were wrong ray....the crew chief/home plate ump, Bob Davison, just admitted the same on ESPN

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

At least you admitted you were wrong ray....the crew chief/home plate ump, Bob Davison, just admitted the same on ESPN
Yeah, I hate putting misinformation out there but will admit when I'm wrong. I don't see why others have trouble with this concept.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Didn't MLB learn anything after last season's Pads/Rox game where Garrett Atkins hit a ball OVER the fence in B7 and the play was ruled a DOUBLE - he never scored and had the Rox not come back to win the Pads would have WRONGLY won the game - the Rox NEVER make the playoffs and thus the WS - all because of a bad umps call

The NHL reviews EVERY SINGLE GOAL and while it can take some time the most important thing is GET IT RIGHT!

MLB MUST got to replay on Homeruns - Fair/Foul/Clear the Fence before some team makes the playoffs who shouldn't have - or Vice Versa. it would take about a minute to do so

either that or add a DOUBLE Screen to the Pole - one on the FOUL side - extending out 3-ish feet - if the ball hits THIS Screen - Foul Bal

Clearly a homerun on the replay, but tough to see in real time.

I think most people's biggest beef with it was that it was ORIGINALLY ruled a homerun, but that they got together and then ruled it foul -- to change a call like that, you need to be 100% sure. And if those guys were 100% sure that was foul, they need to get their eyes examined.

Sometimes it just doesn't seem like the officials really know how to handle a lot of these situations.

Journeyman

EOG Master

So the ball had yellow foul pole paint on it and still called foul, was the ball examined by the umps at the time?

So the ball had yellow foul pole paint on it and still called foul, was the ball examined by the umps at the time?

Well, no, yes, and no. The ball hit the black part of the foul pole, so there was black paint on the ball and a white scuff mark on the pole. And the umps did not examine the ball or the pole, but the camera crew did!

Journeyman

EOG Master

Well, no, yes, and no. The ball hit the black part of the foul pole, so there was black paint on the ball and a white scuff mark on the pole. And the umps did not examine the ball or the pole, but the camera crew did!

Well that at least explains it, I have seen this happen before and the same outcome.

MLB umpires are as good as any when it comes to getting the play right MOST of the time....then again most of their calls are less subjective, yes the strike zone is a little subjective but for the most part it's much easier to decide a ball or strike over pass interference .

it was a foul ball

never hit the yellow

That's a good question. The foul pole is yellow, except for the bottom foot or so where it's black (between the top of the fence and where the yellow starts). It would be idiotic to call that bottom foot foul and the rest fair, but there must be a reason why the entire foul pole is not all yellow.