What Happened To My 99-cent Tax Relief?

I'd heard so much about this plan to suspend the federal gasoline tax through the summer, I headed over to my corner 7-11 just now.

McCain plan, Clinton plan--it didn't matter. I am an American and am guaranteed the right of tax relief.

I plunked down my $20 bill, and shouted, "All-in on Pump #6, Ramesh!" I skipped out to the car, bounding with joy, thinking what a glorious summer it was going to be with that 18-cent a gallon savings.

For my $20, I extracted about 5.5 gallons of gasoline from under the 7-11 concrete. Without even needing a calculator, I figured the government was in debt to me for 99-cents! Life is great!

But how do I collect? I went back in and ask Ramesh how I collected my windfall. He explained to me that there was no tax suspension. That the candidates were just that, candidates, and they were just making up "feel-good" proposals to appease the American electorate.

Damn. Washington has fooled me again.

Re: What Happened To My 99-cent Tax Relief?

Not one single economist would give any credence to this plan...

McCain and Clinton are fooling the average American and then Obama is called an "elitist" again because he calls both of them out on this plot...

So what does Hillary do next to save face?

She gets someone from SHELL OIL to comment how great it is...:LMAO

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

I'd heard so much about this plan to suspend the federal gasoline tax through the summer, I headed over to my corner 7-11 just now.

McCain plan, Clinton plan--it didn't matter. I am an American and am guaranteed the right of tax relief.

I plunked down my $20 bill, and shouted, "All-in on Pump #6, Ramesh!" I skipped out to the car, bounding with joy, thinking what a glorious summer it was going to be with that 18-cent a gallon savings.

For my $20, I extracted about 5.5 gallons of gasoline from under the 7-11 concrete. Without even needing a calculator, I figured the government was in debt to me for 99-cents! Life is great!

But how do I collect? I went back in and ask Ramesh how I collected my windfall. He explained to me that there was no tax suspension. That the candidates were just that, candidates, and they were just making up "feel-good" proposals to appease the American electorate.

Damn. Washington has fooled me again.

And to think there are those folks that beleive :doh1 we're off to see the Wizard The Wonderful Wizard of Oz :+clueless

FACTBOX: Why oil prices are at a record high

Mon May 5, 2008 4:36pm BST
(Reuters) - U.S. crude oil hit an all-time high of $120.21 a barrel on Monday.

Robust demand for crude and a weak dollar have fuelled the rally from a dip below $50 at the start of 2007.

Adjusted for inflation, oil is now above the $101.70 peak hit in April 1980, according to the International Energy Agency, a year after the Iranian revolution.

DOLLAR WEAKNESS
The fall in the value of the dollar against other major currencies has helped drive buying across commodities as investors view dollar assets as relatively cheap.

It has also reduced the purchasing power of OPEC's revenues and increased the purchasing power of some non-dollar consumers.

OPEC oil ministers have noted that although prices are rising to record nominal levels, inflation and the dollar have softened the impact.

Some analysts say investors have been using oil as a hedge against the weaker dollar.

FUNDS
Since the Federal Reserve cut U.S. interest rates in mid-August last year and central banks pumped billions of dollars into financial markets to ease a credit crunch, oil and gold have risen.

Investment flows from pension and hedge funds into commodities including oil have boomed, as has speculative trading. At the same time, the credit crunch has brought some other markets, such as the U.S. asset-backed commercial paper market, to a virtual standstill.

Some of that money has found its way into energy and commodities, analysts say.

DEMAND
While previous price spikes have been triggered by supply disruptions, demand from top consumers the United States and China is a main driver of the current rally.

Global demand growth has slowed after a surge in 2004 but is still rising and higher prices have so far had a limited effect on economic growth.

Analysts say the world is coping with high nominal prices because, adjusted for exchange rates and inflation, they have been until now lower than during previous price spikes and some economies have become less energy intensive.

OPEC SUPPLY RESTRAINT
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, source of more than a third of the world's oil, started to reduce oil output in late 2006 to stem a fall in prices.

Fewer OPEC barrels entering the market helped propel the rally and consumer nations led by the International Energy Agency have urged OPEC to pump more oil.

At its meetings since December, OPEC has agreed to leave output unchanged, saying there is enough crude in the market. It next meets formally on September 9.

Few in the group believe there is much it can do to tame a market it says defies logic.

NIGERIA
Supply of crude from Nigeria, the world's eighth-largest oil exporter, has been cut since February 2006 because of militant attacks on the country's oil industry.

Oil companies and trading sources have detailed about a million bpd of shut Nigerian production due to militant attacks and sabotage.

IRAN
Oil consumers are concerned about supply disruption from Iran, the world's fourth-biggest exporter, which is locked in a dispute with the West over its nuclear program.

Western governments suspect Iran is using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to develop nuclear weapons. Iran denies this, saying it wants nuclear power to make electricity.

IRAQ
Iraq is struggling to get its oil industry back on its feet after decades of wars, sanctions and underinvestment.

Exports of Kirkuk crude from the country's north are stabilizing as the system recovers from technical problems that had mostly idled the pipeline since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

REFINERY BOTTLENECKS
Refiners in the United States, the world's top gas guzzler, struggled with unexpected outages which have drained inventories.

FACTBOX: Why oil prices are at a record high | Markets | Reuters

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Nascar: all part of the "plan" by BUSHCO .... you are getting fucked in the ass deliberately by the biggest criminal element in American Politics:

" + title + "

"There's the neo-con plan: Privatize -- that is, sell off -- everything, "especially the oil" industry. That's a quote from the 101-page document which I learned was written by the neo-cons. That didn't happen -- because a Jim Baker team -- he's the lawyer for both Exxon and Saudi Arabia -- secretly wrote a 323-page plan that called for CONTROLLING the oil flow, not owning it. The purpose was to LIMIT the supply of oil from Iraq and keep prices high. This would, "enhance [Iraq's] relationship with OPEC" -- the oil cartel. That's a quote from the document you're not supposed to see.

So here it is: the invasion was about LIMITING the flow of oil from Iraq, keeping prices high, not grabbing the oil to bring prices down for your SUV. The secret Baker plan is now the law in Iraq and prices are over $50 a barrel. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ..."