How many of you speed excessively

Bet_Jester

EOG Enthusiast
If so...Do you feel it is worth it to risk your life and the lives of others to save 2 or 3 minutes on your journey ? I'm not talking about speeding to keep pace and not tie anything up. I genreally go 10 over on highway and 5 over on city roads. I'm not a big fan of the people blowing through traffic and weaving.

I almost got hit 3 different times on my way home this afternoon, bad drivers all around here but especially today

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: How many of you speed excessively

It seems like more and more people speed....in a hurry for nothing.

PO69

EOG Master

Well I usually drive between 85-90 when the speed limit is 70. 80-85 for a speed limit of 65 and of course 70-75 for 55.

I dont necc speed in the city however. i would presume that I go around 40-45 in a 30, but I really dont look at the spedometer. I drive as fast as the conditions allow. I might actually drive below the speed limit within the city at many times.

And for the highway speeds above, subtract 5 mph.

PO69

EOG Master

I dont drive any less now that the gas prices have gotten higher, but I am considering slowing down a bit to save gas when not in an extreme hurry

If so...Do you feel it is worth it to risk your life and the lives of others to save 2 or 3 minutes on your journey ? I'm not talking about speeding to keep pace and not tie anything up. I genreally go 10 over on highway and 5 over on city roads. I'm not a big fan of the people blowing through traffic and weaving.

I almost got hit 3 different times on my way home this afternoon, bad drivers all around here but especially today

I think thats a good rule of thumb. I generally go 7 over HW because there are so many state troopers around here. I like too open 'er up every now and then, but never through traffic.

Jester love the avatar!!

I have found myself speeding over the last week more than usual!! It's funny you asked!!

BUT NO NOT NORMALLY!

A buddy of mine is 44 and just got his first ticket of any kind Monday! [speeding]:doh1

All throughtout my 25+ years of driving I speed everyday. The difference now compare to when I was younger is I won't weave as much through traffic anymore. I tend to go 20-30 more on the open highways. In the city around 10 over the limit. I have been very fortunate throughtout my driving years getting fined for speeding and paying for about 3 tickets.

The reason I like to drive fast is because of the adrenaline rush......it gives me a "high".

In my 20's and 30's I would drive at speed of 100-140 mph. Lately it's been more like 85-100......but always when there is not much traffic ahead of me.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

Well I usually drive between 85-90 when the speed limit is 70. 80-85 for a speed limit of 65 and of course 70-75 for 55.

I dont necc speed in the city however. i would presume that I go around 40-45 in a 30, but I really dont look at the spedometer. I drive as fast as the conditions allow. I might actually drive below the speed limit within the city at many times.

And for the highway speeds above, subtract 5 mph.
80s moven chit happens quick at 80

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i have lost my lisence way to many times to speed these days (5 times in 12 years), not to mention i'm still on probation from just getting it back...Just a few of my tickets include 4 no lisence tickets, 104 in a 45, reckless driving, dwai, dwi...I enjoy the freedom to much by being able to go as i please to ruin that shit again :rolleyes:

in ny u lose your lisence after 11 points, i currently have 30 plus :LMAO

mr merlin

EOG Master

I dont speed that much on the highway(maybe 5 mph), in the city though i generally go 10 -15 over. You guys may not know this but speed limits are set artificially low to account for speeding - often when a new road is built(which is capable of handling higher speeds) they will not post a limit for awhile to assess the "natural" speed, if for example the natural speed is 55 mph they may set the limit at 45, or 50 under the theory that if they set it at 55 people will automatically go over.

dirty

EOG Master

In Ga they have to give you 10 over before they give you a speeding ticket. They do this because of the change of speed limits quickly in certain zones. Like from a 45 to a 35 in school zones, etc....

Only ones who don't have to abide by the 10 limit is State Troopers... but they rarely give tickets in town..only on the Interstate. If you get a ticket from a Trooper off the interstate you were doing something truly fucked up. On the Interstates most troopers let you drive 80-90 with no traffic and if you are not weaving in and out of cars...They will pull up beside you and get you to look at them and tell you to slow down or flash their lights behind you to tell you to slow down. Troopers here are great... as long as you are not endangering other people and you are safely moving along you are fine

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

i drive to vegas a few times a year. the speed limit is 65 except once you get out there in the bookies it goes up to 75. if traffic is light and you are only doing 75 you stand a decent chance of being run over or run into and you are a hazard to the highway. and anyone who has ever driven on the 15 to vegas from So Cal knows what i am talking about and i am 100% spot on. on the local freeways during the day when traffic is light doing 80 is OK as long as you aren't weaving in and out of lanes because traffic is doing pretty much that speed, too

dirty

EOG Master

Oh yea..I didn't answer the question... Until I had Kids I had a lead foot...drove well in town...but on the interstates if I was doing under 85 I was pissed....but since I had have kids I never go above 80..Interstate SL is 70 Most places here...65 others... but the flow of traffic is 75-80.... I feel safe at that speed with my kids in the car/truck

shooterman

EOG Veteran

I never speed period. I know how easy bones and teeth break on impact from personal experience. I am the guy doing the speed limit getting the finger from all you fucking maniacs.

Chuck A

EOG Member

I too used to speed when I was younger, always on the open road, never in town. Now living in costa Rica, I find that there are no roads I would want to speed on. Even on the best roads, the road condition is terrible, and they are just an accident waiting to happen

I don't speed excessively, but speed limits are too low, IMO.

Speed limit was 70 I think when I was too young to drive, say early 1970's, cars were not nearly as good as now, then 55mph, now up to 65mph, with way better cars.

I'll go 75 in a 65, maybe 80... but I want other cars around me exceeding my speed.

Beyond 80 is asking for a ticket, but 80 is often reasonable during daytime hours on the right highway.

No need for a vette or similar, you just can't use the capability. Pretty much any car like a Honda or similar is fine at 80, even a pickup truck. We aren't driving Pintos and Vegas and Darts in 2008.

The ticket risk isn't worth it. In my state cops pretty much let you go 80 with instate plates, but that is right on the edge, 75 is safer as to not getting a ticket. 85 you get the ticket. 75 in a 65 is normal for me.

Off the highway, pretty much keep it within 5mph of the limit, you'll just stuck behind somebody at more than that, or risk a ticket.

I don't get speeding tickets... one lifetime in some BS town in Nebraska, like 65 in a 55 with no traffic on the highway, and way out of state plates, and I'm like 18. No way to fight it, cop knows that.

Locally you go to court and they reduce it or toss it out.

Its the out of state plates that screw you. One time wife was driving in Va ( I think). Cop offered option of speeding ticket, or ticket for radar detector possession. We took the radar ticket.

aceduecetrey

EOG Addicted

I can honestly say that I NEVER speed. I use cruise control everywhere I go as to prevent it.

J

joeybagadonuts

I don't speed excessively, but speed limits are too low, IMO.

Speed limit was 70 I think when I was too young to drive, say early 1970's, cars were not nearly as good as now, then 55mph, now up to 65mph, with way better cars.

I'll go 75 in a 65, maybe 80... but I want other cars around me exceeding my speed.

Beyond 80 is asking for a ticket, but 80 is often reasonable during daytime hours on the right highway.

No need for a vette or similar, you just can't use the capability. Pretty much any car like a Honda or similar is fine at 80, even a pickup truck. We aren't driving Pintos and Vegas and Darts in 2008.

The ticket risk isn't worth it. In my state cops pretty much let you go 80 with instate plates, but that is right on the edge, 75 is safer as to not getting a ticket. 85 you get the ticket. 75 in a 65 is normal for me.

Off the highway, pretty much keep it within 5mph of the limit, you'll just stuck behind somebody at more than that, or risk a ticket.

I don't get speeding tickets... one lifetime in some BS town in Nebraska, like 65 in a 55 with no traffic on the highway, and way out of state plates, and I'm like 18. No way to fight it, cop knows that.

Locally you go to court and they reduce it or toss it out.

Its the out of state plates that screw you. One time wife was driving in Va ( I think). Cop offered option of speeding ticket, or ticket for radar detector possession. We took the radar ticket.

Good post. I agree the speed limits are too low and many freeways (especially in California) were built for cars to go much faster. 280 in the bay area was specifically built for cars to travel 85+ but the speed limit is still only 65. So to answer the question, yes I speed excessively, and yes, i have paid excessively to do so with all the tickets I have gotten.

sl55

EOG Veteran

Only when the right conditions apply,if you want a good rush,sailing along at 150 or 160 is pretty exhilarating,but the time and the road has to be right.:+excited-

Only when the right conditions apply,if you want a good rush,sailing along at 150 or 160 is pretty exhilarating,but the time and the road has to be right.:+excited-

I never had a car that could do 150, but I think in most states, 150 would get you in jail, car impounded etc. The charge would be almost as bad as a DUI ?

You might as well try to outrun the cop, at that point !

I can honestly say that I NEVER speed. I use cruise control everywhere I go as to prevent it.

Bullshit ! You speed !

When you take an exit ramp off the highway, I bet you go 50-55 when its posted 35.

You also speed without knowing it at times, esp. in strange territory... road can be posted for 40, then drop to 25 for no reason.

They set traps for ya, can even easily give an out of stater a ticket for no reason, are you going back to Georgia to fight it if you live in Calif ?

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

good topic...,i had my kids in the car in the rain today and some dumbass kid was speeding and weaving in and out of traffic and spun out and nearly hit us right near a store.i blocked him in and got out and he had his hands over his face like he thought i was going to hit him,he knew he was wrong.i pointed to my kids and told his ass the only reason he ain't hurt is because my kids weren't and let it be a lesson.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i had an '86 iroc-z28 black with gold rims that had t-tops back a few years ago that i'd race on an empty street but never on a road with traffic.

ERBtheGREAT

EOG Dedicated

I don't drive on the highway hardly at all, but on my trip to OCMD I did 85-90 the whole way down. Cars were still passing me.

Bet_Jester

EOG Enthusiast

I too used to speed when I was younger, always on the open road, never in town. Now living in costa Rica, I find that there are no roads I would want to speed on. Even on the best roads, the road condition is terrible, and they are just an accident waiting to happen

Whyd you move to costa rica Chuck

sl55

EOG Veteran

I never had a car that could do 150, but I think in most states, 150 would get you in jail, car impounded etc. The charge would be almost as bad as a DUI ?

You might as well try to outrun the cop, at that point !

You are correct,it's a teamwork thing and definetly not something you want to make a habit of.

Has the Bureau of Standards defined the difference between speeding and speeding excessively?

Obviously, everyone on the site speeds because we are all big-time rebel anonymous gambling iconoclasts who know everything..

But just how fast do we have to go to be recognized for the "excessive speeder" designation?

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

i deliver pizza when i have 1 deliver i drive slowly and i take my time!

when i have more and they are late i freak out and i drive fast!!

on 30 MPH zone the fastest i drove was around 70-80 MPH but that was

at night where no cars!! and 2 days ago where no cars were found

and i was driving about 50-60 on 30 MPH zone

i had one Hammer that came out from a street and stoped half way and

did not wait for my to pass by or did not know and did not Judge me

by how fast i was going!!

By the time he turned his car i was on his back almost crashed into him

and i had to swirl left to avoid hitting him!! i dont know how the hell

i made that left because i made it withut noticing was i about to hit him or not i just went around him and i go so fucking lucky!! that no other car

was going from the other direction!!

back to the store my 2 friends come and chill and i tell them what happened

and they say funny thing u said that because my friend was coming

to chill with us right now and he and his truck over turned upside down

from hitting a curb!! wow that sucked so bad!! and he was coming from

Brooklyn to Staten Island!

And Devil he crashed upside down right by where u live Clark and Amboy!

i am not sure if thats where ur house is!

Speeding is scary! Speed kills and i cant belive i am forgeting about that!

RealSlimShady

EOG Dedicated

Not much anymore. When I was younger, I used to. Going 70-105 in 25mph zones was not uncommon back then for me.

aceduecetrey

EOG Addicted

Bullshit ! You speed !

When you take an exit ramp off the highway, I bet you go 50-55 when its posted 35.

You also speed without knowing it at times, esp. in strange territory... road can be posted for 40, then drop to 25 for no reason.

They set traps for ya, can even easily give an out of stater a ticket for no reason, are you going back to Georgia to fight it if you live in Calif ?

I really do not think I ever speed, honestly! I almost always have a very good reason not to and I am very concious not to.