Toddler Survives 40' Drop during aparment Fire

dirty

EOG Master
Toddler Survives Drop From Apartment Blaze
LUDWIGSHAFEN, Germany, Feb. 5, 2008<hr>(CBS/AP) A German photographer caught the heart-stopping moment when a father decided there was no other way to save his 2-year-old son from a blazing apartment fire than to drop him out of fourth-story window.

CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Palmer reports flames were sweeping through a crowded apartment block in the western German town of Ludwigshafen, sending stranded people to windows to gasp for air.

The building served as a refugee hostel for Turkish families, many of whom became trapped on the upper floors.

Tenants located on the lower floors of the building handed their children to German firefighters on ladders.

But the parents in the photograph were too high up, and made the harrowing decision to drop the young boy to the crowd below. He was caught safely by an off-duty police officer who just happened to be in the neighborhood.

Not everyone was so lucky; nine people - including five children - died in the blaze.

It's not known whether the baby's parents survived.

Police found eight bodies in the building and one woman died in a hospital after the fire Sunday, police spokeswoman Simone Eisenbarth said. Twenty-two people remained hospitalized Monday.

"Unfortunately, we cannot exclude further victims," Eisenbarth said. Investigators were not immediately able to enter parts of the smoldering building because the structure, much of it made of wood, was in danger of collapsing.

The cause of the fire, which started Sunday afternoon, was not clear and the victims had not yet been identified, Eisenbarth said.

Police said 24 people - all of them Turkish citizens - were registered as living in the four-story building, but that more people had been in the house, celebrating a Catholic festival.

Police said the old wooden staircase of the building collapsed shortly after the fire broke out.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans]? MMVIII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Toddler Survives Drop From Apartment Blaze, Deadly Inferno Forces Father To Let 2-Year-Old Boy Fall 40 Feet To Safety - CBS News
[/FONT]

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Toddler Survives 40' Drop during aparment Fire

hope this kid's paents lived but from the sound of things - not likely. if dad could have raced down with his kid he would have rather than drop him 40 feet. if dad died and this kid lived down the line the kid will have trouble dealing with this

dirty

EOG Master

yea Wink.. maybe we will get a update in a few days telling us at least one of his parents or any relative lived

5 star bomb

EOG Master

if he can throw his kid out the window then why didnt he try to jump out himself if he believed that was the only way to survive

dirty

EOG Master

There was obviously No catch balloons or Safety nets they use down there... if he would have jumped he would have died...I don't think anyone could catch a grown man in his arms... he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't it sounds like

There was obviously No catch balloons or Safety nets they use down there... if he would have jumped he would have died...I don't think anyone could catch a grown man in his arms... he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't it sounds like

He was on the freakin 4th story. That won't kill you. Hell, I jumped out of our 2 story house from the top story and landed just fine (well after I rolled once or twice). Doubling that is nothing and you'd have to land on your head to kill ya pretty much.

dirty

EOG Master

He was on the freakin 4th story. That won't kill you. Hell, I jumped out of our 2 story house from the top story and landed just fine (well after I rolled once or twice). Doubling that is nothing and you'd have to land on your head to kill ya pretty much.

Every body can't be Super Jake :cheers:cheers:cheers

I couldn't do that at 300 Lbs... smaller people can... He could not have been in good health..had bad legs, hips, etc....we don't know...

Every body can't be Super Jake :cheers:cheers:cheers

I couldn't do that at 300 Lbs... smaller people can... He could not have been in good health..had bad legs, hips, etc....we don't know...

I guess that's true but I'd rather jump and find out than to chill in the flames.

dirty

EOG Master

I believe I would too...but damn either way would suck

40' is a tough jump. I think you'd survive, but likely at least two broken ankles...minimum. I don't see much choice in this spot.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

40' is a tough jump. I think you'd survive, but likely at least two broken ankles...minimum. I don't see much choice in this spot.

if i am the man - and my choice is stay in the building and die or jump and hope........pretty much a no-brainer

dying of fire is so bad people in NYC were jumping from floors waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there on 9/11 figuring they'd rather die from splattering on the ground from 40-50+ floors up than die in a fire

if i am the man - and my choice is stay in the building and die or jump and hope........pretty much a no-brainer

dying of fire is so bad people in NYC were jumping from floors waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there on 9/11 figuring they'd rather die from splattering on the ground from 40-50+ floors up than die in a fire

Give me that many stories and I don't even try to land it. Try a back flip and look good going out I suppose. Or just dive headfirst. What's the farthest someone has been in free fall and survived?

Apple

Banned

Give me that many stories and I don't even try to land it. Try a back flip and look good going out I suppose. Or just dive headfirst. What's the farthest someone has been in free fall and survived?

Would love to know this answer myself..

The Devil

EOG Master

THE WINDOW WASHER IN NY SOMEHOW SURVIVED A 47 FL DROP.....BUT HE WAS AIDED BY THE SCAFFOLD HE WAS ON......