ODU vs. JMU

ODU (8-9) -6 1/2 vs. JMU (10-5)

Play ODU and lay the points

At first glance, one would think the oddsmakers are crazy to install ODU as 6 1/2 point favorites looking at the overall win/loss records of both Schools...

My goodness, JMU is a perfect 6-0 at Home and a not too shabby 4-5 on the Road, so what gives?

A close inspection at their schedule reveals that their 4-5 Road record wouldn't be damning if those team's RPIs didn't add up to nearly 1,500.

To date, JMU has beaten the likes of Dartmouth, Eastern Kentucky, and South Carolina State away from Virginia.

Hell, JMU has lost its last 3 games away to the likes of Charleston, Hofstra (3-11) & William & Mary.

For those who don't know the CAA too well, Hofstra isn't the same team this year. They have WON only two other game all year prior to beating JMU and their first win was by 2 points at HOME back on November 14 of last year against Manhattan!

When I handicap hoops, the most important factors I look at is DEFENSE and Matchups...

While offenses can go south every once in a while, D's are much more steady...

And speaking of DEFENSE, ODU ranks 3rd in the conference allowing 63.7 points per game overall whereas JMU ranks 11th (second to last) allowing nearly 10 more points per game at 73.5.

As for Matchups, ODU matches up really well against this undersized team. In fact, Hofstra just recently out-rebounded JMU by a 38-23 margin.

JMU lacks big men so they also don't have an answer when it comes to guarding ODU's Best Player, Gerald Lee, standing 6 feet 10 inches tall..

Finally, I can't remember the last time ODU didn't beat JMU by double digits at HOME and ODU still remembers losing last year on the road to them, which was followed by a 12 game winning streak for ODU...

ODU is also a great bet following a LOSS when they return home so everything I factor into handicapping tells me to take ODU so I did...

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK