NFL Wild Card Plays

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran
Saturday

Seahawks -3.5

The Redskins have become NFL?s feel good story after winning their last four games of the season without their starting quarterback and having to deal with the Taylor tragedy. They have become the NFC?s sleeper team, entering the season with momentum and a ?me against the world? mentality. But how justified is this new found love for the team? Early line movement says so, I beg to differ. Beating the Bears at home, allowing the Giants to beat themselves, and beating a collapsing Vikings and half hearted Cowboys team leaves a lot to be desired. I will gladly back one of the best home teams of the last five years when they are out of favor.

The Seahawks are a better all around team entering this game with a lot more experience. The Redskins pass defense is exploitable against quality passing games, something they really haven?t faced much in the second half of the season. Hassleback?s ability to get rid of the ball early and depend on the first level should offset the Redskins complex blitzing schemes. Their depth at receiver should pay dividends against the questionable depth in the Redskins secondary. If the Seahawks up tempo passing game that is usually successful at home becomes effective early, the Redskins momentum entering the game should disappear really quickly, while Collins true worth will be finally tested.

I don?t expect much from the Redskins offensively Saturday. Although Collins? arrival has added some spark, it was derived with a lot of smoke and mirrors (favorable match ups and dink and dunk passes) and lacks sustainability. With extra film on Collins and a ferocious pass rush, expect Collins deficiencies to finally come to fruition this week. Ideally the Redskins would like to take pressure off of him with a heavy dose of running. However, the Redskins running game is better on paper than it is on the field, while the Seahawks run defense is one of the best and most underrated in the league. Without an effective running game to fall back on, Collins and the Redskins offensive line will be overwhelmed by the Seahawks disguised coverage, complex blitzing schemes and ability to get to the quarterback as well as any other NFC team.

Expect the Redskins feel good story to come to an end Saturday. Success driven by smoke and mirrors doesn?t usually last come playoff time. This holds especially true against an experienced team that has been dominant at home for years. Value is on the Seahawks in my opinion.

Steelers +2.5
Prior to season?s start, I claimed the Jaguars were the AFC?s sleeper team, a legitimate top tier competitor and a team that would continually trade below intrinsic value. All three assumptions have held true. However, much like the Redskins, the Jaguars have become a team that has a full bandwagon, and that means its time for me to jump off. I will gladly take a playoff tested home team that has become out of favor and is getting points.

There is no denying the Jaguars are the team playing better football, are healthier, and had the upper hand against their opponent less than a month ago. However, books compensated for such variables with the opening price, and line movement has magnified the issue. The Jaguars have the most underrated passing game in the league and a dominant running game. However, neither should be expected to have the upper hand against arguably the NFL?s best defense. If the Steelers can curtail the potency of the Jaguars running game, which they can easily do, the Jaguars may find trouble. Although Garrard has put forth a solid season, I question his ability to sustain his regular season play in his first playoff start, on the road, and against a complex defense.

Much like the Jaguars, the Steelers are heavily dependent on their running game for success. Perception is the Jaguars have a dominant run defense, and the Steelers running game will suffer without Parker. However, perception may not be reality in this game. The Jaguars run defense is overrated, and their numbers masked by playing with big leads and against not many dominant running attacks. Although the depth and integrity of employing a multi style running attack is questioned with the absence of Parker, the expected decrease in efficiency in the Steelers running game is blown out of proportion. Davenport was more efficient, more consistent, and secured the ball better than Parker. He is also better suited to handle the physicality of the Jaguars defense. The Steelers passing game has gone downhill, but I will gladly back Ben when out of favor and expected to due poorly.

Pittsburgh is a brutal place to play in come playoff time. Especially for an inexperienced team lead by an inexperienced quarterback. I have not problem backing the Steelers when they are out of favor and with their backs against the wall- as that is when they are at their best. The Jaguars had a great season, but is should come to an end Saturday Night.

Sunday
Bucs -3

I have backed the Bucs more than any other team this season, and I will not stop now, as they continue to get value as a home playoff team.

I have said it all season, the Bucs don?t have an explosive offense, but do have one of the most efficient and underrated units in the league. They take what defenses give you, are able to attack opponents weaknesses, are well balanced, and don?t make mistakes. Most of the public hasn?t grasped such a concept all season, and without having their starters on the field for two weeks, some have also forgotten such a concept. Most expect the Bucs passing game to stall Sunday. They think of the Giants pass rush and the lack of receiving threats in the Bucs passing game. However, I expect them to have success in the air, as they fundamentally match up well against an average Giants pass defense. The Giants secondary is suspect and lack an ideal candidate to match up with Galloway. Their superb pass rush can wreak havoc on most passing games, but the Bucs style can counter such strength. The Bucs are heavily dependent on short passes and passes to the running back, variables that automatically counter this Giants strength. Add the notion that the Giants have been one of the least effective teams in defending such a passing play, and I expect the Bucs to be just fine in the air. The Bucs running game is underrated and consistent. Their young line has performed well all season and could win the battle of the trenches in run blocking situations. I don?t expect a dominant running attack, but an effective enough one to provide balance to the Bucs offense.

Manning is coming off his best game of the season and has been known to be highly streaky. However signs of a potential upward trend can quickly come to an end this week against a top notch pass defense like the Bucs. The complex looks and team speed can pose problems for Manning. With Barbers ability to counter Burress and the absence of Shockey, Manning may lack passing options. The Bucs run defense should also slowdown Jacobs, not giving the Giants any exploitable offensive edge.

Weaknesses are magnified in the playoffs. This bodes well for a well balanced team who lacks a weakness like the Bucs. This does not hold true for the Giants who possess a suspect secondary and a highly inconsistent passing game. It looks like I will back the Bucs until I don?t have a choice to do so. In my opinion, I will have another opportunity next week to do such.

Titans/Chargers Under 39.5
In their first match up I took the Under (and barely won). I see no reason not to do such again.

I have said this for weeks, the Chargers improved play has predominately been due to the solid play of their defense, which has been flying under the radar due to the big names of their offensive players. The Chargers have the hottest and one of the top three defenses in the playoffs. On the other hand, the Titans are the worst playoff team offensively, and have been getting progressively worse. Young is more name than substance, and should have a reduced role, as the Titans are going to rely on their running game and defense to pull off the upset. This holds especially true with their best receiving option out for this game. Expect the Titans to run as much as possible and keep their passing playbook limited in order to prevent costly mistakes Young is prone to making and the Chargers are prone to creating. The Chargers biggest weakness is their run defense, which should allow the Titans some success to move the ball on the ground, but not enough to become detrimental to the Under. The decisive advantage the Chargers pass defense possesses should prevent the Titans offense from becoming multi dimensional, which therefore limit the points they put on the board. Expect a lot of drives stalled with punts and field goals, as the end zone might not be seen all day out of Titans offense.

The Titans defense has not gotten the credit it was receiving at the beginning of the year. Although there has been somewhat of a drop-off in defensive productivity, it has mainly come due to games in which they were without Haynesworth, and not due to them playing at a level above their heads. Expect the Chargers to also rely on their running game and defense to win. Rivers still can not be trusted, especially going against a dominant pass defense that proved to have the upper hand against him in their first meeting. If the Chargers are going to find success, it will be against a mediocre run defense that will counter with stacked boxes and force Tomlinson to grind out yards. The Chargers may have successful drives, but it will come at the expense of clock time. This should be a defensive struggle and game of field position. I like the Under.

munson15

I want winners...
Re: NFL Wild Card Plays

Thanks and GL, BG. We were discussing the wildcard games here and I liked Seattle and Pittsburgh. My only disagreement in the analysis is that the Jaguars saw worse weather than they'll get on the last visit and having just been in Pittsburgh, the atmosphere shouldn't be a problem, although the playoff fervor will be of a different tenor. Still like the Steelers, they can use their underdog status to good advantage emotionally.

tool21

EOG Dedicated

I agree with every one of those plays BuffetGambler. Good luck to you!

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks and GL, BG. We were discussing the wildcard games here and I liked Seattle and Pittsburgh. My only disagreement in the analysis is that the Jaguars saw worse weather than they'll get on the last visit and having just been in Pittsburgh, the atmosphere shouldn't be a problem, although the playoff fervor will be of a different tenor. Still like the Steelers, they can use their underdog status to good advantage emotionally.

I was impressed as well with the way the Jags handled the evironment in Pit a few weeks back. But I am reluctant to conclude this team can handle cold weather on consistent basis (although they are fundamentally built to do so) just because of one game. I will also disagree with any notion stating the weather does not give Pit an advantage. The Jags are still a team that plays half their games in Fla, and at least 2 others in a dome each year. They just don't have the weather experience Pit has. Will it play a big part in the outcome of Saturday's game? I am not sure, but will gladly take the low 30's F than something much higher.

Good luck this week Munson and Tool.

baddassmofo

EOG Enthusiast

weather in SD should help the under as well....apparently a lot of rain on the west coast this weekend

GL with the plays

BAMF

:cocktail

munson15

I want winners...

I was impressed as well with the way the Jags handled the evironment in Pit a few weeks back. But I am reluctant to conclude this team can handle cold weather on consistent basis (although they are fundamentally built to do so) just because of one game. I will also disagree with any notion stating the weather does not give Pit an advantage. The Jags are still a team that plays half their games in Fla, and at least 2 others in a dome each year. They just don't have the weather experience Pit has. Will it play a big part in the outcome of Saturday's game? I am not sure, but will gladly take the low 30's F than something much higher.

Thanks, I'm on the Steelers, so I'll spend the next 24 hours looking for +3. :+textinb3

baddassmofo

EOG Enthusiast

Pitt is +3 (-120) at my book and its been on that number for a day

shouldn't be hard to find

BAMF

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

weather in SD should help the under as well....apparently a lot of rain on the west coast this weekend

GL with the plays

BAMF

i am about 90-100 miles NORTH of SD but it is cloudy and ominous looking and supposedly gonna rain all weekend

hope ya go 3-0 in your sides BG - i have them all, too but all have 1/2 better in my favor

I They just don't have the weather experience Pit has. Will it play a big part in the outcome of Saturday's game? I am not sure, but will gladly take the low 30's F than something much higher.

how much playoff experience does Garrard have? Ben certainly has the edge here. I'd be more concerned with that disparity.

on another note I've always wondered how mcuh the weather really matters when both teams are a mix of players from all over the country

Like all your plays except the under--think SD will score enough to send the game over--Good luck:cheers

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Munson - The Greek has the Steelers +3 right now. Seattle has dropped to -3.5 from 4.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

munson +3 -120 has been available yesterday and also today

its out there at the top books

munson15

I want winners...

Munson - The Greek has the Steelers +3 right now. Seattle has dropped to -3.5 from 4.
Thanks Daddy and Newbie. I just got -3 on Seattle from my local, and I'll pay -120 to get the +3 on Pittsburgh. I appreciate the headsup from you both.

Well said homey.

Im on em all most likely but haven't made any plays as of yet.

Washington death factor has me scared.. and I know its a moot point but they have played inspired ball.. better than their talent level. That scares me. And if Hasselback have an average game.. Seattle loses. He HAS to play good for the Sea@@@s to win.

I still like Seattle.. just scared. Good luck. great writeup man!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Did you buy any of those points, Winky?

NOPE - bought on none of them

played TB early in the week when they were -2.5 and played Pitt/Seat friday, i think, when both were 3

too expensive to buy on/off 3 in the NFL and not really worth it when you take everything into account. if you like the fave and they are -3.5 either lay them and hope or pass and if you like the dog +2.5 either pass or play on the M/L

munson15

I want winners...

NOPE - bought on none of them

played TB early in the week when they were -2.5 and played Pitt/Seat friday, i think, when both were 3

too expensive to buy on/off 3 in the NFL and not really worth it when you take everything into account. if you like the fave and they are -3.5 either lay them and hope or pass and if you like the dog +2.5 either pass or play on the M/L
Money line Steelers makes a lot of sense, but I always find myself paying for the insurance when 3 is available. Have Seattle at standard juice, and have not given up on getting Steelers +3 -110 either. I hope BG doesn't mind his thread being borrowed.:+eyes-13+

karl randall

EOG Member

You say the redskins will not have a running game to fall back on well at least they have a running game something the seahawks cannot boast about as of late and that is washintons greatest advantage in this game pounding that small seahawks front 7 then play action off that to santana moss for big plays and cooley to move the chains on the intermediate pattern. At least they have the threat of a run more than the seahawks have who will be totally one dimentional on a windy day no less VS a defence who is already playing terrific as of late.
Seattle has played a powder puff schedule this year and this opp. who is far from powder puff and playing lights out right now will pound the ball all day
and slow this game down to a last second or OT field goal.

GL tommorrow on TB
The giants will hand the game over with multible turnovers

jordan

EOG Enthusiast

Karl, you're entitled to your opinion on the Redskins and you have valid points, but the Seahawks will win the battle of the line of scrimmage, stuff Portis and force Collins to have to win the game, and considering the fact that Collins has completed roughly 85 passes in the last 7 years and this IS a playoff game on the road, your opinion is likely WRONG!

Seattle 7 - 1 at home this year, Karl 0 - 1 today

BigIgg

EOG Enthusiast

I love TB tomorrow/today as well. You can't judge an NFL team by the last few weeks. Giants are sloppy and without Shockey. Tampa just became healthy again. They went from having 9 guys on the injured list to 2 this week. That's great coaching.

I'd put this game right up there with the Seattle game. Tampa by 10.
Good Luck

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Well done yesterday BG. I was with you on both. Cashed in with PIT and SEA. I also added a 6.5 point teaser with PIT, SEA and SD. So only need SD to cover -3.5 today. I think that they should handle that easily. Always appreciate your insight. Have not done anything with TBay, although I know they are a favorite of yours. They disappointed me the last couple weeks (especially in San Fran) and I worry a bit about the idea that TBay threw the last couple games to ensure that they got the Giants. That kind of motivation can wake up a team in disarray. Locker room chatter would be "The Bucs lost to get you guys in the playoffs. Let's show them that was a mistake."

munson15

I want winners...

Tremendous weekend, BG! Thanks for all the info, helped me to a profitable wildcard round.:cheers

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Thanks again BG. The teaser came through with the SD win, and it was a 3-0 perfect ticket weekend. I am glad I stayed away from TBay. On to the next round! Keep up the good work!