Best WR duo in NFL history (can you beat this one?)

Journeyman

EOG Master
Remember when Swann and Stallworth played the WR's had to fight to get open, defenses could beat the hell out of WRs back then...when they retired they were the best combo ever IMO.

mofome

Banned
Re: Best WR duo in NFL history (can you beat this one?)

was stallworth ever in the top 5 in any single season in recieving? ever?

:nono

most overrated player in league history.

MCP

clayton and duper are my fav.. honorable mention to monk and sanders

and my homer pick.. slaughter and langhorn

Journeyman

EOG Master

Mo you were not around then, I will give you a pass....John Stallworth was a great great player...as for him not being in the top 5 in any category, that is news to me...the guy was a great player, he was like a James Worthy, the bigger the game the better he played and he was clutch....he was great after the catch too.

Stallworth was actually the better WR of the two.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Stallworth holds the Super Bowl records for career average per catch (24.4 yards) and single-game average, 40.33 yards in Super Bowl XIV. He had 12 touchdown receptions and a string of 17 straight games with a reception in post-season play. Stallworth also scored touchdowns in eight straight playoff games at one point (1978-1983), an NFL record.
He led the AFC with a career-high 1,395 yards gained on 80 receptions in 1984, when he was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

mofome

Banned

Mo you were not around then, I will give you a pass....John Stallworth was a great great player...as for him not being in the top 5 in any category, that is news to me...the guy was a great player, he was like a James Worthy, the bigger the game the better he played and he was clutch....he was great after the catch too.

he was not in the top 5 in recieving in Any season. that says plenty. actually, i dont believe he was in the top 7 in any season. hof? yeah right.

:party

edit: i dont think he was in the top 5 in the nfl in receving in any season. i will look it up

Cobra

EOG Member

Agreed. If one was overrated it was Swann. Sure he made the spectacular catches but when a big play was needed in a big game Stallworth was the one to make it nine times out of ten.

mofome

Banned

Stallworth holds the Super Bowl records for career average per catch (24.4 yards) and single-game average, 40.33 yards in Super Bowl XIV. He had 12 touchdown receptions and a string of 17 straight games with a reception in post-season play. Stallworth also scored touchdowns in eight straight playoff games at one point (1978-1983), an NFL record.
He led the AFC with a career-high 1,395 yards gained on 80 receptions in 1984, when he was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

who is the espn writer that wrote the book on the most overrated players in each sport? he was on mike and mike a few months back talking about how stallworth was the most overrated player of all time. i didnt agree at first and then he listed several reasons and i was shocked. i used to like the guy based on the fact that he shared a name with a vols wr.

i'll check the author and see if i can find it. until then, i was certainly wrong. i dont think it was swann he mentioned, im 99% sure he said stallworth. if thats the case, then my apologies.

i still like moss/carter. but stall/swann is up there. i used to like irvin/harper...but thats because harper is a vol.

what!!! stallworth holds a few superbowl records.

started in 4 superbowls and won the mvp in two of them.

3 or 4 pro bowls and the 1984 comeback player of the year!

THE GUY WAS AWESOME!!

MAYBE THE BEST OF HIS ERA!! BACK WHEN WR'S WERE MAULED ON EVERY PLAY!!

AND SWAN WAS HIS WING MAN.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Mo I just posted he led the league in 1984, which was near the end of his career, you are way off base here...did you ever even see John Stallworth play?

Cobra

EOG Member

he was not in the top 5 in recieving in Any season. that says plenty. actually, i dont believe he was in the top 7 in any season. hof? yeah right.

:party

edit: i dont think he was in the top 5 in the nfl in receving in any season. i will look it up

Top Five three times in receiving and more importantly in all but two Steelers Super Bowl(where they ran the ball 80% of the plays) Stallworth had over 100 yards and at least 1 touchdown.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Stallworth was as clutch as anyone in Super Bowl history Mo....incredible big game player!

the catch he made to put the Steelers up 31-19 over the Rams over the top like Willie Mays with the safety all over him... you gotta be thinking of somebody else.

Journeyman

EOG Master

what!!! stallworth holds a few superbowl records.

started in 4 superbowls and won the mvp in two of them.

3 or 4 pro bowls and the 1984 comeback player of the year!

THE GUY WAS AWESOME!!

MAYBE THE BEST OF HIS ERA!! BACK WHEN WR'S WERE MAULED ON EVERY PLAY!!

AND SWAN WAS HIS WING MAN.

Thius is what the under 30 crowd does not understand....When the Jack Tatum's and Gene Atkinson's were lurking in the secondary with their switch blades ready to take your head off...IT WAS A DIFFERENT game....

Moss , Rice, Taylor, TO they all played in the no touch after 5 yard era...NIGHT and DAY.

:doh1 Class dismissed.

mofome

Banned

Mo I just posted he led the league in 1984, which was near the end of his career, you are way off base here...did you ever even see John Stallworth play?

well the afc is not the nfl, but i will check the stats later. ive seen tapes of games and ive seen highlights of his plays.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Biletnikoff/Branch another great tandem of the 70's.

Lofton and Jefferson at GB too.

detroitdennis

EOG Veteran

clayton and duper are my fav.. honorable mention to monk and sanders

and my homer pick.. slaughter and langhorn
The thing about Clayton and Duper is that they seldom had a great yer together.. One year Duper did well, the following year Clayton did well..

Cobra

EOG Member

Thius is what the under 30 crowd does not understand....When the Jack Tatum's and Gene Atkinson's were lurking in the secondary with their switch blades ready to take your head off...IT WAS A DIFFERENT game....

Moss , Rice, Taylor, TO they all played in the no touch after 5 yard era...NIGHT and DAY.

:doh1 Class dismissed.

The Mel Blount rules changed the game in '77. Not to mention how the quarterbacks got pulverized.

Journeyman

EOG Master

J-MONG, I beleve Moore was around until 1985 when Clayton had the record for the most tds rec in a year 14 before rice broke it..

Yep...Moore was more less the third option but still a great possession Wr...Clayton and Duper both had short trips at the top, I know there were a lot rumors they were involved with known drug kingpins down in Miami.

Even Dan Marino had some drug issues while he was still at Pitt, part of the reason he dropped so low in that draft.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Chargers also had a great combo, Wes Chandler , Jefferson, Winslow, and Joiner...with the L train out of the backfield, Fouts was busy!

Stallworth is my of my favorite recievers of all time. Always thought he was better than Swan. Always came up big in the clutch. Never talked shit. Just did his job.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell underrated duo.

James Lofton and Andre Reed.

soli

EOG Dedicated

Rice & Taylor...both could take a 10 yard pass and turn it into a 80 yard touchdown pass.

Holt & Bruce were great a few years ago. Greatest show on turf!

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Not really in this category, but Michael Irvin & Alvin Harper stick out in my mind because when we (Tampa Bay) stunk so bad long ago we were desperate for a go-to receiver & went after Harper thinking he was a savior.....:doh1