Court TV: Anyone been following the Phil Spector murder trial

gridironguy

EOG Veteran
Re: Court TV: Anyone been following the Phil Spector murder trial

You're off your rocker, 4625, but I guess everyone has a right to their opinion.

The vast majority of Americans believe that OJ is guilty, and Scott Peterson was obviously convicted.

I think they're both guilty, but Peterson only had one good attorney (Geragos), and OJ had the Dream Team

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Robert Blake and Phil Spector are guilty as well.

The Gov't has gotten their guy in all 4 of these trials, regardless of the final results on OJ and Blake

I agree on Spector.:hung Fortunately for those who are accused of criminal offenses in this country, it takes more than a "vast majority of Americans" for the government to gain a conviction. Rather, it takes a unanimous verdict from the 12 in the box. . . .:cheers

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

I followed the Peterson and OJ cases very closely -- both guys guiltier than sin.

Blake and Spector I don't know as much about, but from what I've seen of the evidence, it didn't look good for Blake and it doesn't look good for Spector. Of course, we've seen that if a defendant can afford top-notch lawyers, evidence against them does not matter too much.

The amount of blood evidence against OJ was mind-boggling.

I don't really follow the televised celebrity trials that much; I have too short of a day as it is and I get to hear enough blowhard lawyers in my day job. . .

are you serious???

Somewhat. The complete lack of any direct evidence is disturbing to me. Amateurs have great difficulty killing people without leaving any forensic evidence behind. Additionally, the evidence that the infant was handled while alive by the perpetrator(s) seemed fairly believable. Additionally, the police settled on Peterson as their guy very early in the investigation; circumstantial evidence often comes as one-size-fits-all, a fact which police officers love. With that in mind, I will issue a caveat--I deal with testilying police officers nearly on a daily basis. I think that in their mind, the goals of criminal justice are met as long as somebody, anybody, is convicted of the crime. That reassures the public, provides a deterrent effect, and makes the cops look like they are doing their job. Moreover, from my side of the bar, the reasonable doubt standard is very high.

Katie

EOG Master

Somewhat. The complete lack of any direct evidence is disturbing to me. Amateurs have great difficulty killing people without leaving any forensic evidence behind. Additionally, the evidence that the infant was handled while alive by the perpetrator(s) seemed fairly believable. Additionally, the police settled on Peterson as their guy very early in the investigation; circumstantial evidence often comes as one-size-fits-all, a fact which police officers love. With that in mind, I will issue a caveat--I deal with testilying police officers nearly on a daily basis. I think that in their mind, the goals of criminal justice are met as long as somebody, anybody, is convicted of the crime. That reassures the public, provides a deterrent effect, and makes the cops look like they are doing their job. Moreover, from my side of the bar, the reasonable doubt standard is very high.

i can see your point and i didn't see alot of the coverage. i guess we all look at events based on our personal experience. as a therapist i would not jump to a conclusion about his diagnosis but from what i have seen i think it is likely that he has the type of personality disorder that would make him capable of those actions. thanks for your very interesting reply. i appreciate it.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

4625, the evidence is MUCH more compelling that Laci gave a "coffin birth", ie, the baby was expelled from her after death, while she was at the bottom of the SF Bay.

Geragos was grasping at straws, and as a criminal defense attorney who is completely ANTI-prosecution, you grabbed one of the straws while ignoring the hundreds of straws that Geragos missed.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

The defense has the floor for day 2 starting pretty soon on Court TV for those interested.

The General

This was just getting good today as the pros was about to cross the defense witness and they took it off air for some other show. WTH.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

I heard the jury acquitted oj cause they thought he was out fishing with peterson.

The General

I was not aware that Juice and Scott were buds prior to OJ's trial.

The General

Do You think the prosecution put on a case w/out any reasonable doubt as the defense has took the floor?

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

The defense needs to hit a home run to win this case.

The evidence of a pattern of similar acts in the past is absolutely devastating. Juries love this kind of stuff and are immensely affected by it. That's why the rules of evidence usually will keep past bad acts out; though here they were admissible to show pattern, signature (modus operandi), or lack of mistake. I agree that the defense had better come up with something spectacular. If they had something like that, I think they would have led off with it, however. I'll put my money on The State -850.:bank:

The General

Already I think the 1st defense witness, the hired gun, $400 per hour scientist has shown there may be reasonable doubt as to whether she did shoot herself, although it seems to me like he probably did kill her. See the words I used though. With No eye witness, we really don't know do we? We can only suspect that Spector pulled the trigger likely by accident while drunk and a little mad he wasn't going to get any love from her that morning?

To get the lesser-included offense of some sort of manslaughter would be a win for D in my opinion.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

met Lana once at a show - and somewhat close to when she was killed by Spector. really nice person and still a looker

Phil Spector is a NUT JOB and while he might not have wanted to kill her - he did and should either be put away or locked up in a "funny farm" for the rest of his life

The General

JURORS in the Phil Spector murder trial are deadlocked over whether he pulled the trigger.

Judge Larry Paul Fidler informed prosecution and defence lawyers yesterday during a hearing at Los Angeles Superior Court that the jury had been unable to reach a unanimous decision.

"The jurors have informed the court clerk that they are hung," Judge Fidler said.

One juror said she wanted clarification on the difference between "doubt" and "reasonable doubt".

Judge Fidler said jurors would be asked during a court appearance scheduled for today to consider convicting Spector on involuntary manslaughter charges.

The announcement of a hung jury came on the seventh day of deliberations in the high-profile case involving Spector, the legendary music producer who pioneered the famous Wall of Sound recording technique.

The 67-year-old is accused of murdering actor Lana Clarkson, 40, at his home in February 2003.

Clarkson was shot through the mouth in the the foyer of his Los Angeles mansion.

Spector, who maintained Clarkson shot herself because she was despondent over her career and finances, faces 15 years to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder, with an added 10-year penalty for use of a firearm.

The nine men and three women on the jury met yesterday for about four hours and 45 minutes.

Prior to the session starting this morning, they had met for about 27 hours since starting deliberations on September 10.

"At this time we don't believe that anything else will change the positions of the jurors based on the facts of the case," the jury foreman told Judge Fidler on the seventh day of deliberations.

The panel began hearing testimony on April 26 in a trial that produced 77 witnesses and had more than 500 exhibits submitted into evidence.

Clarkson's family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Spector.

The suit will be heard after the conclusion of Spector's criminal trial if the jury reaches a verdict.

Spector and Clarkson met at a Sunset Strip music venue The House of Blues, where she was working as a $10-an-hour VIP hostess.

The famed record producer, who had spent the night on the town dining and drinking with two other women, invited Clarkson to come home with him -- and she was dead hours later.

District attorney Alan Jackson said during the trial Spector had a "rich history of violence" against women, often flying into drunken, gun-toting rages if they tried to leave his company.

No fewer than five women acquaintances of Spector testified that he had threatened them with guns in incidents dating back to the 1970s.

Spector's former chauffeur also provided damaging evidence, telling jurors that on the night of the shooting his employer had emerged from a doorway clutching a pistol in a bloodied hand to say: "I think I killed somebody".

The defence contends Clarkson was depressed about her career, but also suggested that she may have accidentally pulled the trigger.

Clarkson was best known for her starring role in the 1985 cult hit Barbarian Queen, though she had bit parts on dozens of TV shows.

Phil Spector trial limbo | Herald Sun

The General

Judge is using a supreme court case in past to instruct jurors to consider involuntary manslaughter now and the defense is fighting, asking for a mistrial which has been denied. If the Judge moves forward we will get a new round of closing arguments.

Terrific grounds for appeal if jury convicts on the lesser-included manslaughter charge after defense objections to the instructions. An appeal on those grounds would have a very strong chance of prevailing.

The General

The involuntary charge was not applied so it appears strongly a hung jury will prevail.

From what I heard second-hand, the State's case looked very strong. I didn't really follow the Defense case, so I don't really know what they put on. A hung jury would be a win for the Defense; I thought the guy was a goner. . . .

MrBrownEye

EOG Member

I don?t usually respond to these threads but couldn?t resist this one. As for Phil Spector, this guy has shown throughout the past he is (1) mentally unstable, (2) likes to pull guns on people. HELLO! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
What do Jurors need these days to convict, a video tape of each one? With all the evidence put forward in the Spector/OJ cases, it should be a no brainer. The problem is as stated in this thread before; there are a lot of ignorant people out there. Maybe we should have an IQ test for jury selection. <o:p></o:p>
Fortunately, most juries convict people everyday with only 1/1000 of evidence shown in the OJ trial. If this were not the case, we would still have the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Green River</st1:place> killers running around (who were convicted based DNA evidence) as well as a hell of a lot of other sociopaths. What kind of world would that be for us?<o:p></o:p>

Journeyman

EOG Master

I don?t usually respond to these threads but couldn?t resist this one. As for Phil Spector, this guy has shown throughout the past he is (1) mentally unstable, (2) likes to pull guns on people. HELLO! <O:p></O:p>
What do Jurors need these days to convict, a video tape of each one? With all the evidence put forward in the Spector/OJ cases, it should be a no brainer. The problem is as stated in this thread before; there are a lot of ignorant people out there. Maybe we should have an IQ test for jury selection. <O:p></O:p>
Fortunately, most juries convict people everyday with only 1/1000 of evidence shown in the OJ trial. If this were not the case, we would still have the <ST1:place w:st="on">Green River</ST1:place> killers running around (who were convicted based DNA evidence) as well as a hell of a lot of other sociopaths. What kind of world would that be for us?<O:p></O:p>

DNA evidence, uneducated morons don't understand this I suppose, the OJ case .:rolleyes:

MrBrownEye

EOG Member

With testimony in the Spector trial like this, how could there have been any doubt.

....In the second incident in 1986, she said he was "screaming, ranting and raving: 'You're not going. You're not leaving. I'm not opening the door... I'll blow you away. I'll shoot you.'"
Melissa Grosvenor described Mr Spector as a "very fun" companion - until he tried to stop her leaving his home in 1992.
"He walked right up to me and put the gun right up to my face and said: 'If you try to leave, I'm going to kill you,'" she said.
Stephanie Jennings said the producer held her hostage with a gun in a hotel room in 1995. Another ex-girlfriend, Dorothy Melvin, said she was threatened with a pistol and shotgun after a night's drinking in 1993.

MrBrownEye

EOG Member

Well, if some of these people deciding other peoples fate are that stupid, there is definately a problem with our justice system that needs to be fixed. as todays trials involve more and more science, for people who understand it, the answers are clear.

SiliconDoc

EOG Member

The courts are slanted against the defense, that much is absolutely clear. Add in the rabidly insane public know it alls, with their less than stellar criticisms based on their own personal predjudices, and we wind up with trials like this one, OJ's, Duke, Scott Peterson's, and many others.
I note in the civil OJ case, yes indeed a persons UNIDENTIFIED BLOOD was in the Bronco. Wasn't Goldman's, OJ's, nor Nicole's.
People 100% convinced OJ did it apparently cannot possibly admit that. Say ing "blood was all over the place" is also a GIGANTIC LIE.
Whatever, here's a bet you cannot lose....
I'm convinced our system is so screwed up because people in the public are bigger liars, cheats, and bigots than even the people in power. These public chatterers spew their bs with an alarming rate, and after they do, it's personal attack time for anyone that doesn't agree with them.
I know what I believe and why, and I don't have to tell lies to spread my conclusions, or play mind games, or talk mr. know it all crap.
I've got my hands full just correcting the lies spewing from all my fellow citizens.

you make some good points Doc. Welcome to EOG buddy

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

phil spector, it was nice knowin' you

dude is gona die in prison

felonee

EOG Veteran

Katie, I have a BA in Pre-Law, and I can tell you unequivocally that this gentleman or lady, "4625", is NOT an attorney.

He has misused and misapplied legal terms, and a JD (Judicial Degree) holder would never do that.

I am willing to bet on this. $25,000 minimum, I will bet. "4625" is NOT an attorney.

JD stands for Juris Doctor sometimes referred to as Juris Doctorate