"You beat us at our home, we'll beat you at yours."

sam b.

EOG Member
Do you still use this revenge angle, JK? I forget if it's hoops only or if it applies to other sports. Are there nuances that make it stronger like a blowout loss, NBA vs. NCAA, or the amount time between games? I gotta get back here more often to read your posts. I miss the wisdom in your blogs and of course the radio show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Agree with this angle.

Kenny White, who occasionally appears in the Southpoint studio on their handicapping show recently commented about home court in CBB.
His research and conclusions from all sports was that home field provides the greatest edge in soccer, with CBB second.
In CBB it’s the crowd noise, Kenny said, that gives the edge. And it must be factored into the gambler’s line originator model algorithm.

Logic would suggest that overcoming this disadvantage gives great satisfaction to the visitors.
And for the team losing at home, no doubt it’s an embarrassment that must be avenged.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for checking in, SAM B.

The quicker the rematch, the better.

It makes sense.

Because the form on these college hoop teams can change in a hurry.

The best scenario: A well-coached team in the role of an underdog seeking revenge on the road after losing a home game in the first meeting.

Not big on revenge angles that carry over from season to season.

And not big on revenge in the NBA: The busy schedule (Eighty-two regular season games and 20-plus playoff games) makes the league a traveling circus where nothing matters except personal survival.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Agree with this angle.

Kenny White, who occasionally appears in the Southpoint studio on their handicapping show recently commented about home court in CBB.
His research and conclusions from all sports was that home field provides the greatest edge in soccer, with CBB second.
In CBB it’s the crowd noise, Kenny said, that gives the edge. And it must be factored into the gambler’s line originator model algorithm.

Logic would suggest that overcoming this disadvantage gives great satisfaction to the visitors.
And for the team losing at home, no doubt it’s an embarrassment that must be avenged.

Kenny's point about crowd noise is interesting.

I assume he's using legendary stories about the crazy atmosphere at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium as support.

Four more advantages about home court in college hoops:

1) No travel.

2) Court familiarity...the basket backdrop and the lines on the floor.

3) Role players performing better at home (my favorite Phil Jackson comment).

4) The homecourt whistle when the referees subconsciously favor the team hearing the cheers.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
I always thought about revenge when lebron went to MSG - NYC . Phil jackson when he was in NY, got to him with the posse statement. I thought jordan liked sticking it to the knicks.
Jimmy Johnson ran it up against the eagles one time because the eagles stuck it to the boys.

of course, i have no data.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I always thought about revenge when lebron went to MSG - NYC . Phil jackson when he was in NY, got to him with the posse statement. I thought jordan liked sticking it to the knicks.
Jimmy Johnson ran it up against the eagles one time because the eagles stuck it to the boys.

of course, i have no data.

Its a Jackson, Jordan, Johnson datamined "J" thingy.