Why you should play poker, not sports.

Fezzik

EOG Veteran
The touts are all still out there, but the evidence is clear.....The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive, and their records going forward are all going to tell the same story, a bunch of burned out chevys on the side of the highway.
Don't get me wrong, the industry is full of guys who could win, in the past. However, the market has changed completely. Krackman and Boston summed it up nicely, both wondering what the heck they were doing betting sports anymore......and both were reporting that things weren't going well.

Now, you certainly (if you are clever) can win betting sports, but not by following a tout on a game day pick in a major sport.....the very best you are going to get is 53 percent lifetime going forward, and that is extremely optimistic.
It drives me crazy to see Dr. Bob saying "I've hit 55% over 20 years, so THAT is my expected longterm win rate". WRONG. I could have trained a sharp 5th grader to win at this in 1995, it is so much harder now. Further, it drives me crazy when Dr. Bob and other touts (including touts on this page) say "I like this pick, fine to play it even if the line moves a point". This is perfectly fine advice for the fictitious 57 percent capper..........for everyone else it is just going to lead the followers into the poor house. Bet a pick after the line has moved a point on Dr. Bob, and you are going to get crushed.

The good news is that you can still win. How? By playing totals, by playing overnights, by playing halftimes, by playing prop type bets adn team totals, and by finding a rare gem on game day, usually fading steam (often caused by some tout giving out a bad Game Of They Year).

Edward at Right Angle Sports is an example. He is just under 60 percent for the year, documented. However, those betting his stuff are likely only 55 percent or less. His number move immediately on release, AT BEST you can get 1 bet on his totals that move 2 points in 10 seconds.........

Note that Edward does show the best time to bet baskets, November. He killed CBB totals when everyone was focused on football. Tournament picks good? Uh...........you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Just so this is not all gloom and doom, let me leave you with 1 word for the future: POKER

FireItUp420

EOG Enthusiast
Re: Why you should play poker, not sports.

yeah, because the online poker games aren't getting any tougher... :rolleyes:

Fezzik

EOG Veteran

Of course they are getting tougher.

But 10 years from now we will talk about how soft all these games were in 2010.

FireItUp420

EOG Enthusiast

hopefully you're right. once the reverse the UIGEA it will be party time again!

karamazov

EOG Veteran

I want to start playing poker. What would be your advice to learn and where to start. I guess I am looking for a couple of good books to start with.

FireItUp420

EOG Enthusiast

full tilt and poker stars are the 2 sites every american player should have accounts at. Before you sign up at full tilt, be sure to get rakeback at one of the major rakeback sites (raketherake is the one i use personally, i am unaffiliated with them btw). Stars does not offer rakeback, so you can just sign up there straight. BOL.