Who wins the Preakness?

Valuist

EOG Master
Epicenter will be under 5/2. He ran the best race at Churchill IMO, being the only horse near the suicidal pace that was around at the finish.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
epicenter will be 4/5 or even money at post time my early thoughts are this

bounce is possible he was all to hold off that monster most of the Zandon the entire stretch after being in top 7 yearly with that pace. he might pull an Afleet alex and win by 7 or be off the board with a bounce. I would not have him 2nd or 3rd in my exotics, use him (or anti him) both ways.

still sorting things out.

Heim

EOG Master
I saw trainer Chad Brown on 'Racing Day In America' he really loves his horse Early Voting.

So do I...

Not a lot of front end speed here besides the filly.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I feel for those who bet an Epicenter-Zandon exacta box in the Kentucky Derby.

They deserved better.

When watching the replay of the stretch run, I'm still amazed at the winner's journey.

Like most horse races, the stretch drive of the Kentucky Derby was an optical illusion.

Rich Strike wasn't necessarily accelerating, but he was decelerating at a slower rate than the others torched by the torrid pace.

Shades of Mine That Bird in 2009.

And it was that year in which a filly, the brilliant Rachel Alexandra, won the Preakness.

Hmmm...

Nah, I'm not a believer in omens.

Pass on Secret Oath, the Lukas filly.

She's too slow.

Epicenter is the class of the crop and he will prove it this Saturday.

Remember, they run the Preakness to correct the sometimes-goofy order of finish in the Derby.

And VALUIST, in the end, was right about Derby hero Rich Strike.

He has no chance to win the Preakness.

Last edited:

ouch

EOG Dedicated
Give me Rich Strike to win the Preakness.

On Friday, thirty seconds before Pimlico officials close the field, Rich Strike's connections have an epiphany, change their minds, and decide to enter him in an effort to win the Triple Crown.

On Saturday, five minutes before the horses come onto the track for the race, Eric Reed shows Rich Strike posts from Skinny and Valuist which attack the horse's worth.

Rich Strike, who is unstable to begin with, goes totally ballistic. He repeats his Derby performance by running down the leaders in the stretch.....going eyeball to eyeball (Seabiscuit-style) with Epicenter.....bites him on the ass.....and goes onto to win by a length and a half.

blueline

EOG Master
I feel for those who bet an Epicenter-Zandon exacta box in the Kentucky Derby.

They deserved better.

When watching the replay of the stretch run, I'm still amazed at the winner's journey.

Like most horses races, the stretch drive of the Kentucky Derby was an optical illusion.

Rich Strike wasn't necessarily accelerating, but he was decelerating at a slower rate than the others torched by the torrid pace.

Shades of Mine That Bird in 2009.

And it was that year in which a filly, the brilliant Rachel Alexandra, won the Preakness.

Hmmm...

Nah, I'm not a believer in omens.

She's too slow.

Epicenter is the class of the crop and he will prove it this Saturday.

Remember, they run the Preakness to correct the sometimes-goofy order of finish in the Derby.

And VALUIST, in the end, was right about Derby hero Rich Strike.

He has no chance to win the Preakness.

I don't feel sorry for anyone with that exacta.....they got it wrong.

according to Trackus this is how fast RichStrike was moving at 1/4 mile intervals from start to finish :

39.2 mph

the next fastest in his race was 36.6 for the final 1/4 mile...I think only 3 other horses were moving at over 36 over that interval

Rich Strike was a deserving winner.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master

She folded like a cheap tent around the turn
in Ark Derby, fractions were not all that fast.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Give me Rich Strike to win the Preakness.

On Friday, thirty seconds before Pimlico officials close the field, Rich Strike's connections have an epiphany, change their minds, and decide to enter him in an effort to win the Triple Crown.

On Saturday, five minutes before the horses come onto the track for the race, Eric Reed shows Rich Strike posts from Skinny and Valuist which attack the horse's worth.

Rich Strike, who is unstable to begin with, goes totally ballistic. He repeats his Derby performance by running down the leaders in the stretch.....going eyeball to eyeball (Seabiscuit-style) with Epicenter.....bites him on the ass.....and goes onto to win by a length and a half.

Good humor, OUCH.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I don't feel sorry for anyone with that exacta.....they got it wrong.

according to Trackus this is how fast RichStrike was moving at 1/4 mile intervals from start to finish :

39.2 mph

the next fastest in his race was 36.6 for the final 1/4 mile...I think only 3 other horses were moving at over 36 over that interval

Rich Strike was a deserving winner.

Understood.

And it's not like Rich Strike won by a nose.

The chart shows him winning by three-quarters of a length.

Epicenter was three-quarters clear of Zandon and Zandon was a full two lengths clear of fourth-place finisher Simplification.

If Ethereal Road doesn't scratch at the 11th hour on Friday, the Epicenter-Zandon supporters would have cashed an exacta.

blueline

EOG Master
If those exacta players want to blame Lukas that works for me.

From the press conference Reed said he got a call...maybe 20 mins dont remember....before the deadline saying they weren't getting in.....minuets later another call saying they were in.....was that close.

Back to trakus....interesting to look at a few of the past derby winners final intervals....diifferent days etc I know but still.....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rich Dawson, the owner of Rich Strike, had a funny line after the race.

He said, "Hell, I've never won an allowance race before."

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
How big are the win pools for the Kentucky Derby?

More than a half-million dollars ($501,135, to be exact) was wagered on Rich Strike to win.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Mo Donegal and Early Voting finished 1-2 in this year's Wood Memorial.

Watching the replay now...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
BLUE, do you ever watch "Talking Horses" with Serling and Anthony Stabile.

Informative and entertaining, in my opinion.

And Andy is a hawk when it comes to analyzing the times and the track.

Stabile, not so much.

His strength is backstretch gossip (don't trust it) and historical references on racing in New York.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Anthony Stabile is also the biggest Tom Durkin fan out there, so he gets high marks for good taste.

blueline

EOG Master
Ive only seen serling on some NYRA broadcasts....talks at me not to me...if Wood is real and I don't want to bet Browns horse I'm not going to spend any money betting against him.
Maybe will look for interesting matchup.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ive only seen serling on some NYRA broadcasts....talks at me not to me...if Wood is real and I don't want to bet Browns horse I'm not going to spend any money betting against him.
Maybe will look for interesting matchup.

It would be smart if a sports book took the lead and offered daily horse racing matchups with legitimate splits.

I can even swallow a 30-cent straddle (-115/-115) if a sports book would offer a consistent menu with legitimate limits.

There are a lot of sports betting newbies out there who might take a bite with head-to-head matchups.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I had a bad run of matchups....can attribute that to laziness

Race-within-the-race handicapping is completely different than classic handicapping methods.

I rarely play a horse that needs to come from behind in the matchup.

I want the lead -- not the lead in the race but the lead in the matchup -- and I want to put the burden of proof on the other horse to get even and go by.

If both horses are jumping up and down in the stretch going nowhere, at least I've got the one in front of the other.

Been involved in some tight photos for 15th and 16th place in the Kentucky Derby.

That's a miserable feeling.

blueline

EOG Master
My bad run was last year.....Im just drawn to matchup betting....started playing PGA 1 round matchups....now my 3rd favorite thing to bet behind racing and NCAAF.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One other tricky component of head-to-head matchups in horse racing: Though the toteboard is efficient with favorites winning more races than second choices and second choices winning more races than third choices and so on, the running styles are important to analyze.

The 6-1 frontunner is more likely to win than the 10-1 mid-pack runner, but the mid-pack runner may be more likely to hit the board than the pace-dependent speedster.

Of course, the house is also aware of this situation, so they often pair horses in matchups with similar running styles.

Last edited:

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Speaking of horse racing I must say the Circa Sports Book does not take action on it & it is a good thing. Much cleaner & nicer place… just saying

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Horse racing, presented properly, is a beautiful thing, even the simulcast experience.

And Circa is gorgeous.

Unfortunately, the racetracks have not reinvested in their live product and/or simulcast presentations, so you get run-down facilities with outdated television sets showing races with no volume.

Miserable.

blueline

EOG Master
At the IP 2000 in action would get a.1 night comped room...6 buffet tickets for any night except new years eve

Heim

EOG Master
At the IP 2000 in action would get a.1 night comped room...6 buffet tickets for any night except new years eve

I liked the IP too.

Mirage was great also when Jimmy was there. Lee Weaver the race manager really
took care of her high end players. Then when Wynn sold, everything stopped.

Heim

EOG Master
Cokin had his show from the IP....I remember talking to him. He had the headsets on from behind
the counter. Was it the Stardust Line?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cokin had his show from the IP....I remember talking to him. He had the headsets on from behind
the counter. Was it the Stardust Line?

I recall seeing Cokin with Lee Pete on a radio show remote called "The Laydown Lowdown" from the Imperial Palace.

The show would later move to the Riviera and then the Frontier.

As an aside: I distinctly remember seeing a young UNLV baseball player named Matt Williams interviewed by the master storyteller, Lee Pete.

Lee could really shoot the breeze, but not even he could make Matt Williams sound interesting.

Williams had no personality as a young college player.

And 25 years later, he had no personality as a hardened MLB manager.

Never connected with guy.

Not that he wanted to connect with me, haha.

But I always viewed Matt Williams as a "hard ass."

Funny what you remember.

Last edited: