Vic Fangio out as Broncos HC

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Kind of expected this amid speculation and after 3 straight losing seasons. I don't even think the decision to kick a field goal rather than go for it on 4th with 4:30 remaining would have swung the pendulum.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Vic Fangio served as an assistant coach in the NFL for more than 30 years before getting the top job in Denver in early 2019.

Fangio went 19-30 over three seasons with the Broncos.

He was 7-9 in his first season, 5-11 in his second season and 7-10 this past season before getting axed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fangio joins a long list of successful defensive coordinators who could not get the job done as an NFL head coach.

Think Steve Spagnuolo, Romeo Crennel, Dom Capers, Rod Marinelli, Jim Schwartz and the father-son team of Buddy and Rex Ryan.

Makes you appreciate the work of Bill Belichick all the more.

Other former defensive coordinators who have done well as NFL head coaches include Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer and Mike Vrabel.

Heim

EOG Master
4th and 5 from the 13 down 28-21 with a little over 3 left he kicks a fg and
gives the ball back to Mahomes.

You can't make these dumb coaching moves up if you tried.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Fangio joins a long list of successful defensive coordinators who could not get the job done as an NFL head coach.

Think Steve Spagnuolo, Romeo Crennel, Dom Capers, Rod Marinelli, Jim Schwartz and the father-son team of Buddy and Rex Ryan.

Makes you appreciate the work of Bill Belichick all the more.

Other former defensive coordinators who have done well as NFL head coaches include Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer and Mike Vrabel.

One of the best DCs to become a successful HC (2 SBs as a HC, 3 SB as a DC) was the 49ers George Siefert who later coached Carolina. His last year at CAR was 1-15, and despite that, his NFL regular season record was 114-62, (64.8%).

His coaching tree included Pete Carroll (DC), Jeff Fisher (DB), Jon Gruden (O Asst), Mike Holmgren (OC), Gary Kubiak (QB), Ray Rhodes (DC) and Mike Shanahan (OC)

bobodad

EOG Addicted
This makes me appreciate more on the work done by Mike Vrabel in keeping Tennessee Titans together after losing key superstars for a period of time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One of the best DCs to become a successful HC (2 SBs as a HC, 3 SB as a DC) was the 49ers George Siefert who later coached Carolina. His last year at CAR was 1-15, and despite that, his NFL regular season record was 114-62, (64.8%).

His coaching tree included Pete Carroll (DC), Jeff Fisher (DB), Jon Gruden (O Asst), Mike Holmgren (OC), Gary Kubiak (QB), Ray Rhodes (DC) and Mike Shanahan (OC)

I forgot about Siefert.

Bill Walsh cast a large shadow.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
This makes me appreciate more on the work done by Mike Vrabel in keeping Tennessee Titans together after losing key superstars for a period of time.

Bingo!

The loss of Derrick Henry could have been devastating.

Yet the Titans kept winning.

Credit Mike Vrabel.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Fangio wasn't able to develop/find decent QB play during his tenure.

He's probably best-suited to return as a DC someplace.

Think Leslie Frazier and Todd Bowles.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fangio wasn't able to develop/find decent QB play during his tenure.

He's probably best-suited to return as a DC someplace.

Think Leslie Frazier and Todd Bowles.

I remember the game in 2020 when the Broncos played without a true quarterback.

It was ugly.

Final score: New Orleans 31 Broncos 3.