Trip through the US and COVID

choslamshe

EOG Master
Just arrived home from about a four week camping trip from Canada down to Disneyland with the family. Our route down went Idaho, Washington, Oregon Coast (WOW!), California and then back up went through Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana. It was my first time in a few of these states and a couple of observations:

1. Not sure why I was shocked, but I was amazed at how beautiful the landscape was throughout our drive. Oregon Coast was so incredible, Grand Canyon was maybe the most breathtaking experience I've had to date (visually). Yellowstone is exactly what you would expect, but again just so beautiful. I am from the flat plains and so to experience a landscape like this almost every minute was awesome.

2. Attended a Seattle Sounders MLS game - again incredible to see 30,000+ rock out at Lumen Field. First time there and I wasn't even upset it was to see a soccer game instead of the Seahawks.

3. I cannot friggen believe that you guys don't have Ketchup chips? Is this new? Always been the case? At one point, after visiting our 4th or 5th gas station with no success, I just asked the counter WTF and the girl looked at me like I was crazy.

4. Gas to and from totaled $2,600 USD (about $3,200 CAD). We camped and pulled a trailer the entire way. With so much up and down driving throughout the crazy terrains, we were lucky to get 180 miles on a full tank (ouch). Universal Studio Tix (to skip the line at the rides) was $1,300 USD for 4 people. Disneyland to do the same was $1,100. As much fun as Universal and Disney were, especially for my two girls, I'm happy to cross it off the list and now falls to the 'never again.' I was way more impressed with Universal.

5. For close to 10 days of the trip, I struggled with a nasty man cold. Nose dripping, coughing, etc. To appease my wife, I tested and always negative. Day before we leave, wife tests positive. Day after we get home, I test positive. First time for everyone in our family. Having had the "cold" just a week prior, I will say it is pretty crazy how different both experiences have been. The fever and chills and type of cough with COVID is very different than what I had just a week before. Happy I haven't lost taste/smell, at least yet.

6. Almost 4 weeks away from my offshores was a challenge. None of them accessible in the US. Not setup with any VPN or other tool to get me through which I regret setting up before leaving. That said, felt like it was a bit of a cleanse and was no doubt more present to take in all the beauty that constantly surrounded us.

Looking forward to CFB and NFL right around the corner.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Just arrived home from about a four week camping trip from Canada down to Disneyland with the family. Our route down went Idaho, Washington, Oregon Coast (WOW!), California and then back up went through Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana. It was my first time in a few of these states and a couple of observations:

1. Not sure why I was shocked, but I was amazed at how beautiful the landscape was throughout our drive. Oregon Coast was so incredible, Grand Canyon was maybe the most breathtaking experience I've had to date (visually). Yellowstone is exactly what you would expect, but again just so beautiful. I am from the flat plains and so to experience a landscape like this almost every minute was awesome.

2. Attended a Seattle Sounders MLS game - again incredible to see 30,000+ rock out at Lumen Field. First time there and I wasn't even upset it was to see a soccer game instead of the Seahawks.

3. I cannot friggen believe that you guys don't have Ketchup chips? Is this new? Always been the case? At one point, after visiting our 4th or 5th gas station with no success, I just asked the counter WTF and the girl looked at me like I was crazy.

4. Gas to and from totaled $2,600 USD (about $3,200 CAD). We camped and pulled a trailer the entire way. With so much up and down driving throughout the crazy terrains, we were lucky to get 180 miles on a full tank (ouch). Universal Studio Tix (to skip the line at the rides) was $1,300 USD for 4 people. Disneyland to do the same was $1,100. As much fun as Universal and Disney were, especially for my two girls, I'm happy to cross it off the list and now falls to the 'never again.' I was way more impressed with Universal.

5. For close to 10 days of the trip, I struggled with a nasty man cold. Nose dripping, coughing, etc. To appease my wife, I tested and always negative. Day before we leave, wife tests positive. Day after we get home, I test positive. First time for everyone in our family. Having had the "cold" just a week prior, I will say it is pretty crazy how different both experiences have been. The fever and chills and type of cough with COVID is very different than what I had just a week before. Happy I haven't lost taste/smell, at least yet.

6. Almost 4 weeks away from my offshores was a challenge. None of them accessible in the US. Not setup with any VPN or other tool to get me through which I regret setting up before leaving. That said, felt like it was a bit of a cleanse and was no doubt more present to take in all the beauty that constantly surrounded us.

Never test again, period, that means ever.

Never get another booster, ever.

Other than that we're glad you enjoyed the US.

Never heard of ketchup chips.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sounded like a fabulous trip, CHO.

Four weeks is a long time on the road.

The Grand Canyon is amazing...for about 30 minutes.

Hard to believe, water carved out the landscape.

Shows you the power of moving water.

I've never been to the Oregon coast.

But that sounds like a must-see location.

I fashion myself a "chips" connosieur, but I've never heard of ketchup chips.

1661272537909.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've been on the road the past week.

A lot of fast-food restaurants still have not opened their dining rooms.

This is one of those COVID policies that never has an end date.

The drive-through at McDonald's or Burger King works for most people and the owners of the fast-food restaurants are hard-pressed to find quality help.

In some inner cities, there's a safety concern as well.

Shocked at the number of crackheads on Central Avenue in Albuquerque.

Watch your wallet when you approach The Downs at Albuquerque.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

Sounds like a great West Coast and Mountain tour.

Seattle has been a hot bed of soccer for almost 50 years, back to the days of the Sounders of NASL.

The Southern Oregon (and Nor Cal) coasts are super spectacular. The Sea Lion Caves and sandy beaches and dunes are great.

The Cascades and Sierras are amazing for camping and backpacking trips. For my money, worth much more experiencing than Disneyland.

Don't feel too bad about the gas money. I've spent $6,000 USD for a week of heli-skiing in BC. And that was 25 years ago. :D

Last edited:

choslamshe

EOG Master
Sounds like a great West Coast and Mountain tour.

Seattle has been a hot bed of soccer for almost 50 years, back to the days of the Sounders of NASL.

The Southern Oregon (and Nor Cal) coasts are super spectacular. The Sea Lion Caves and sandy beaches and dunes are great.

The Cascades and Sierras are amazing for camping and backpacking trips. For my money, worth much more experiencing than Disneyland.

Don't feel too bad about the gas money. I've spent $6,000 USD for a week of heli-skiing in BC. And that was 25 years ago. :D

The sand duning was awesome, saw a bunch of snakes on the dunes which was cool. Only annoyance was that the ATVs they gave my 8 an 10 year old were not equipped for anything but flat sand. I was off my ATV pulling them out of the sand constantly which was frustrating.

For as much as we likely stayed away from the major cities/areas of Oregon, I was still surprised at how little advertising/promotion there was for Ducks/Beavers sports throughout our travels.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Sounded like a fabulous trip, CHO.

Four weeks is a long time on the road.

The Grand Canyon is amazing...for about 30 minutes.

Hard to believe, water carved out the landscape.

Shows you the power of moving water.

I've never been to the Oregon coast.

But that sounds like a must-see location.

View attachment 7466627

Just nuts to me. Ketchup (Old Dutch is better than Lays) is a Canadian staple. You guys have a few flavors that were new for me including the Lays Honey BBQ which was a treat. USA also has a variety of Lays Kettle chips which I love and Canada doesn't - or at least where I am.

railbird

EOG Master
Decent people should avoid Disney.

When it's avoidable, quit giving money to your enemies.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Decent people should avoid Disney.

When it's avoidable, quit giving money to your enemies.

I can drive there in 20 minutes. Last time I went was March, 2013. I have a season pass for Knott's. Cost about $130. I got a handful of times a year and like it.

Chos.............wish I knew you were coming down this way. Woulda given you some places to visit in SoCal. PORTO'S is damn near #1 - their "cheese rolls" are to die for!

View attachment 7466627
yeah, me neither. reminds me of a line from the Barenaked Ladies (canadians) song "if i had a million dollars":

If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinner
But we would eat Kraft dinner

Of course we would, we'd just eat more
And buy really expensive ketchups with it
That's right, all the fanciest Dijon
ketchups

Kraft dinner = mac & cheese. that doesn't play for americans, we have no idea what it means to have "ketchups" with mac & cheese, that sounds disgusting, the same way ketchup potato chips sounds disgusting. "ketchup" must means something else up there.

They charge it because people will pay it.

If it costs more to make the kids happy it's worth it
people will pay to make their kids happy, true enough. if they believe their kids would be brainwashed, not so much. "taking your kids to disney" is an eroding tradition. there are tons of theme parks out there... disney used to be the best. now its an indoctrination camp, and there are plenty of alternatives.

in the past, kids only wanted to go to disneyworld because they learned on TV in their short lives that that was a place of fun, and their parents agreed, no matter the cost.

now? i wouldn't subject my kid to anything "disney", at home or otherwise, for $5000, any more than i'd take my kids to a Klan rally.

it's a toxic brand, pushing hatred and division.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Good point.

Whatever the market will bear.

But in this case, I cannot bear what the market will bear.

Interesting factoid:

Payless shoes once set up a fake luxury shoe store called Palessi to see if people would pay luxury prices for discount shoes. Disney marketing is following suit.

BTW, I ordered some ketchup chips (Old Dutch) from Amazon. Pretty tasty, but way too expensive.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
Good point.

Whatever the market will bear.

But in this case, I cannot bear what the market will bear.

I was never into disney as a kid...my sister wasnt either
I never asked to go to disney@MCO and neither did my sister
My family went because basically it was the thing to do...checked it off the list
If it were up to me I would have rather parked along the backstretch@ Calder and watched the racing instead of going to disney

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Great trip. We need some reviews of Canada. Will take a road trip some day to Alaska making a lot of stops.

I was in Detroit in early July so on July 5 drove the Windsor Tunnel from Detroit. I had to do the "ArriveCan" app before going. Took some time to fill out but did it. Was asked when entering Canada why I was coming. I told the officer the truth: I live near Disneyland, meaning nowhere near Canada. I was in Detroit on business and had an off day so I want to do something I can't do back home - wake up in my bed, go to Canada and go back to sleep in my same bed that night (I switched hotels - but point made). He laughed but let me thru.