Russ Culver (1950-2018)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
1665122030113.png

1665122088383.png

Pictures of Mechelle Voepel and M.A. Voepel.

Yes, one in the same.

No knock on transgenders, by the way.

You do you.

To each his own.

And if you're rolling your eyes, feel free to do that, too.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
If a woman is happier living life as a guy ,and vice versa, its none of my business.
Glad they found some happiness

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
I think I can hit an elbow jumper in the WNBA.

Would they would accept me as Joanne Kelly?

Minimum salary in the WNBA for a short five-month season is $60,471.
Do it JK. Take a walk on the wild side. (Lou Reed) Think about how much more material you would have to write about.

WILLROBINSON

EOG Member
Of course, Malamud could not write like Murray, but he had a good eye for sports in Los Angeles.

I saw Allan on several occasions in the Santa Anita press box chatting it up with guys like Jeff Siegel, Jack Karlik and my favorite, Bob Mieszerski.

On another note: Have you seen ESPN's Mechelle Voepel lately?

They are going by the name M.A. Voepel.

I believe "they" is M.A.'s preferred pronoun.

Welcome to this brave new world where men are now women and women are now men.

My preferred pronoun, you ask?

It remains, Your royal highness.
Did you meet or do you know Andrew Beyer (if you don’t mind)? Thank You!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Did you meet or do you know Andrew Beyer (if you don’t mind)? Thank You!

Met Andy Beyer at the old Gambler's Book Club in Las Vegas.

He was generous with his time and clever with his writings.

"Beyer On Speed" is a horse handicapping classic.

Beyer also was a champion of the everyday horseplayer.

He railed on backstretch cheats and labeled underhanded trainers as "super trainers," guys with numbers too good to be believed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Do it JK. Take a walk on the wild side. (Lou Reed) Think about how much more material you would have to write about.

I'd have a detailed scouting report on every WNBA team.

One note about Becky Hammon's coaching prowess: She did a great job utilizing her team's allotment of timeouts.

Rarely was her team in desperate spots late in games to need a timeout to advance the ball.

So, instead, Hammon would call timeouts just before her ladies would be involved in a jump ball situation.

Clever, very clever.

WILLROBINSON

EOG Member
Met Andy Beyer at the old Gambler's Book Club in Las Vegas.

He was generous with his time and clever with his writings.

"Beyer On Speed" is a horse handicapping classic.

Beyer also was a champion of the everyday horseplayer.

He railed on backstretch cheats and labeled underhanded trainers as "super trainers," guys with numbers too good to be believed.
I grew up delivering the Daily News before it merged with The Washington Star. I followed Andy’s writing to The Post and I actually met him one night at Rosecroft in the mid 70’s . I was a busboy there and I took him a club sandwich in the press box. He tipped me $5 dollars and I met the Post’s harness handicapper too - Ms. Bo. That’s when I discovered ‘she’ was a he - kind of apropos for your pictures earlier : ) And you are 100 % correct about him being a champion of the everyday player. He ranted for years about the Big 3 trainers in Maryland, Delp, Dutrow (Dicky - not his son) and Leatherbury being crooks. I Loved his stories and I Love Him! PS I doubt that $5 dollar tip survived the next race but I was sure glad to meet him! Thanks for confirming my opinion of him!

Heim

EOG Master
Beyer's speed ratings in the Racing Times affected the tote board. Especially on dirt.

The turf numbers were worthless. You'd get some decent over-lays.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ragozin and Thoro-graph provide excellent turf numbers.

You can sometimes see the money from sheet players on the toteboard in grass races in New York and California.

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
Early 80s @ Arlington...front row of seats in the handicapping center.

I was sitting next to Beyer....didnt say anythingg to him...watching a filly grass stake...Modesty maybe?

Down the lane discover we both have the same thing...Dana Calqui over Unknown Lady....it comes in.....really nice exacta....Andy jumps up and want to high-five me...I went along for the ride ...Im not a " high-fiver"

WILLROBINSON

EOG Member
Early 80s @ Arlington...front row of seats in the handicapping center.

I was sitting next to Beyer....didnt say anythingg to him...watching a filly grass stake...Modesty maybe?

Down the lane discover we both have the same thing...Dana Calqui over Unknown Lady....it comes in.....really nice exacta....Andy jumps up and want to high-five me...I went along for the ride ...Im not a " high-fiver"
Winning is AWESOME! Did you play with Dicky Stevens?