Punter In First Round NFL Draft?

Heim

EOG Master
It hasn't happened since Ray Guy by Oakland, however San Diego St Matt Araiza is a game changer, as follows:

On the season, Araiza has punted 76 times for 3,904 yards, ranking first in FBS history in punt average (51.4 avg.), 60-yard punts (18) and 50-yard punts (39). Out of Araiza's 76 punts, 36 have landed inside the 20-yard line as Araiza has posted a 44.3 net punt average. One of four players in the nation who is handling all three kicking duties (punts, PATs/field goals and kickoffs), Araiza has added 17 field goals, including three 50-plus yarders, and has kicked off 67 times (excluding onside kicks) for a 65.06 average with 56 going for a touchback.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Last chance to see David Araiza in an Aztecs uniform will be Tuesday, December 21 in the Frisco Bowl against the University of Texas-San Antonio.

The site of the game is Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.

Mountain West v Conference USA.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Very rare to see directional punting in the NFL these days.

Years ago, you couldn't watch an NFL game without hearing the term "coffin corner."

railbird

EOG Master
he sucks at kicking, hits draws only that turn into snap hooks at times. he is only a punter. some of the stats enhanced from mwc altitude. a pro bowler

Very rare to see directional punting in the NFL these days.

Years ago, you couldn't watch an NFL game without hearing the term "coffin corner."
Great point. Even on regular punts I'm not sure why every kick isn't directional. Line drives can be effective with a lot of distance if the punter has accuracy.

Valuist

EOG Master
And like mentioned earlier in the week, why even put a returner back there? Buffalo's lone TD last week was set up by a muffed punt deep inside NE territory. Chances of fumbling the return > than getting a long return. Send an extra rusher and maybe you get a block, or more likely, a rushed punt.

And like mentioned earlier in the week, why even put a returner back there? Buffalo's lone TD last week was set up by a muffed punt deep inside NE territory. Chances of fumbling the return > than getting a long return. Send an extra rusher and maybe you get a block, or more likely, a rushed punt.

Yeah dumb strategies with special teams are everywhere. I don't get why anyone returns a kickoff either, just take the 25. Too often you get penalties and you are stuck inside your 20. Doesn't make up for that once every few years return for a TD but I get it teams pay a guy to be on a team as a returner mostly so those guys feel like they have to be heroes.

As for the premise of the post, I think at most you could justify this generational kicker is 4th or 5th round. He's right though if you can have a dual kicker and save a roster spot that is attractive especially while he's on his rookie deal.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Yeah dumb strategies with special teams are everywhere. I don't get why anyone returns a kickoff either, just take the 25. Too often you get penalties and you are stuck inside your 20. Doesn't make up for that once every few years return for a TD but I get it teams pay a guy to be on a team as a returner mostly so those guys feel like they have to be heroes.

As for the premise of the post, I think at most you could justify this generational kicker is 4th or 5th round. He's right though if you can have a dual kicker and save a roster spot that is attractive especially while he's on his rookie deal.
That is too big a risk. If they get hurt or have a bout with Covid, now you have to fill 2 spots.

MrTop

EOG Master
if he was the best kicker and punter i would take a shot. I know for sure I should have punted on taking the jets yesterday. Toughest NFL season for me i think.

Heim

EOG Master
You're the best kicker in the nation, but get implicated in a gang rape a San Diego St involving a minor.

Civil suit filed. I'm sure there will be some criminal charges.

Career on life support.

MrTop

EOG Master
Three members of the 2021 San Diego State football team, including current Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza, have been accused of sexually assaulting a minor during a 2021 incident.

A civil lawsuit was filed on Thursday in San Diego County Superior Court that accuses Araiza and two of his San Diego State football teammates of gang-raping a then-17-year-old girl.

WOW !

howid

EOG Dedicated
The allegations (and at this point they are only allegations) against Bills punter Matt Araiza are horrifying. But the NFL can do nothing about it, because the alleged incident happened before Araiza was drafted by the Bills.

“We are aware of the matter but will decline further comment at this time,” the league said in an email to PFT.

The Personal Conduct Policy does not encompass alleged misconduct occurring before a player is drafted. At most, the incident would be used against him for enhanced or expired discipline, if he violates the policy once he’s in the NFL.

That doesn’t stop the Bill from cutting him, if they choose to do it. Although Araiza and/or the NFL Player Association could make a stink about a decision to dump Araiza for reasons that would obviously be unrelated to skill, the Bills ultimately can do whatever they want to do — and they may decide that it’s better to find another punter.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
The complaint also claims Araiza confirmed he had sex with the teen on a call between the two the next day, and told the teen he had tested positive for chlamydia and suggested she get tested.

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
Now we know the reason why he lasted until the 6th round. Plenty or most of the teams in the NFL got the news about this and decided they wouldn't touch the kid with a 10 ft pole. Buffalo took a shot it would go away and now it looks like they wasted a draft pick and have egg on their face.

railbird

EOG Master
Now we know the reason why he lasted until the 6th round. Plenty or most of the teams in the NFL got the news about this and decided they wouldn't touch the kid with a 10 ft pole. Buffalo took a shot it would go away and now it looks like they wasted a draft pick and have egg on their face.
its was only 1 girl, not 24 girls like watson, maybe he will be suspended for 1 game instead of 24 like watson

Heim

EOG Master
Bills released him today.

The girl is looking for money, but her
lawyer probably ended his ability to make money.

I probably would have waited and negotiated a settlement while under contract.

He made a grand playing in two NFLX and no bonus money for a 6th rounder.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Bills released him today.

The girl is looking for money, but her
lawyer probably ended his ability to make money.

I probably would have waited and negotiated a settlement while under contract.

He made a grand playing in two NFLX and no bonus money for a 6th rounder.

HE ended his ability to make money the day he raped the underage girl. Did he think this would never come out? Who is going to hire him, even out of football. These skanks get dumber by the day. Next

MrTop

EOG Master
this reminds me of the boxer many moons ago tony Ayala Jr. in 1981

a rising middleweight . He was 18 y/o