One of the most iconic moments in bowling was 12 years ago, producing the most iconic quote too!

Heim

EOG Master
It's amazing how much that phrase with autograph on Weber bowling card is selling for.

I've seen 400-700 on eBay.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Brandon reportedly responded to his arrest with a confession:

"Goddammit I did it. Dammit right. Who do you think you are? I am."

Heim

EOG Master
The interesting part of Weber's outburst, it was directed at a teenager who was heckling him the entire match.

Heim

EOG Master
Interesting, another urban legend debunked. Only thing real remaining is Bo Jackson's 4.13 and Big Foot.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've been bowling about once a week here in Costa Rica.

They call it boliche here.

I'm in the neighborhood of 170-180 with a house ball.

Don't fully understand the finer points of the game, though I am aware of the game's important nuances.

Need to get my "rev rate" up.

That's critical for pin action.

I don't "play the arrows" nor do I have a consistent strike ball.

I do cover most every single-pin spare.

One realization: House balls don't grip the lane like a higher-quality ball does.

Realization #2: If you're not recording consecutive strikes, you'll never average 200+.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Bowling, for me, is the definition of a game, not a sport.

You cannot defend your opponent mano a mano.

In my world, the lack of defense classifies bowling as a shot-making game similar to golf or darts.

Still, however, have a lot of respect for bowlers, golfers and dart-throwers.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Don't fully understand the finer points of the game, though I am aware of the game's important nuances.

One realization: House balls don't grip the lane like a higher-quality ball does.

Realization #2: If you're not recording consecutive strikes, you'll never average 200+.

If you alternate every frame a Strike and a 9/Spare, the highest you can bowl is: 200.

I think. I know MB300 will let me know if I am wrong

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Bowling, for me, is the definition of a game, not a sport.

You cannot defend your opponent mano a mano.

In my world, the lack of defense classifies bowling as a shot-making game similar to golf or darts.

Still, however, have a lot of respect for bowlers, golfers and dart-throwers.
JK, the defense in bowling, especially in high stakes action matches is trash talking and mind games.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Bowling is all about the rev rate.....the top pros can exceed 500 RPM, and that destroys the pins. Jason Belmonte, EJ Tackett routinely exceed 500. I'm probably in the lower 300s. Using a house ball and trying to score well is like a hockey player playing with a puck that has spikes on it.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When did bowling take the turn from a respectful gentleman's game to today's contrived trash-talking seemingly made for television?

#BringBackEarlAnthony

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
When did bowling take the turn from a respectful gentleman's game to today's contrived trash-talking seemingly made for television?

#BringBackEarlAnthony
Coincidently, Pete Weber may have started it all with the croch chip and bad boy image that the PBA cultivated back in the early 2000s when they were on the brink of bankruptcy. That opened the door to a new image of the PBA that was marketed to ESPN, etc. Many others latched on, it became almost like the wild west, i.e., Chris Rash, Belmonte, etc. Plus the new age millennials have an entirely different outlook on life, and life on the lanes, like Anthony Simonson, resides locally in LV at the mansion of professional poker player Chris “Huni” Hunichen, which is referred to as the compound. He has 2 bowling lanes in the mansion that Simonson practices at.

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
JK, you are correct in that the type of gamesmanship you see going on today, you never saw back in the day of Earl Anthony, Mark Roth, Marshall Holman, Dick Weber, etc.

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Isn't Mookie Betts close to pro level?
He is. He has competed in some pro events during his off season. He had some respectable showings, even bowling a perfect 300 game at one event.

Jerome Bettis was also a very good bowler.

Larry Foote Sr. bowls in my league. His son of course played a great career for Pittsburgh and I believe he is on TB's coaching staff.

Heim

EOG Master
At the halfway mark of this YouTube vid he says the infamous quote was directed at a young kid who was giving him trouble during the match.

Geez, he's aged...

Heim

EOG Master
I didn't know there was a seniors tour for professional bowlers. You don't think of bowlers losing anything since
it's arm swing and placement. But I guess like a baseball pitcher, if the velo is down your PBA days are numbered.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I didn't know there was a seniors tour for professional bowlers. You don't think of bowlers losing anything since
it's arm swing and placement. But I guess like a baseball pitcher, if the velo is down your PBA days are numbered.

These days, it's all about the revolutions you get on a bowling ball. When you lose that, you start to lose pin carry, and you leave corner pins, ie 10 pins, etc. Pete got to the point where he couldn't compete with the young guns anymore. Age is a terrible thing. They have a PBA50 tour and PBA60 I believe as well.

I'll look for some videos to demonstrate the point.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
This video shows various rev rates from 400 RPM's to 200 RPM....the top pros can get 550, like EJ Tacket, Belmonte, etc. These days, PDW's rev rate is probably low 300s. In the video, you can see the effect 400 revs has with the ball and how it "grabs" the lane, vs 200 rev rate, where the ball kind of just slides because you don't have physics working for you.

The 400 rev rate strikes, but the 350 rev rate doesn't have enough on it, so a 10 pin was left....that's what Pete Weber started experiencing at the end of his career on the PBA.

Like you said Heim, same as a pitcher with decreasing spin rate. On a side note, they have a bowling machine, called the "throw-bot" that can duplicate shots, and you can set it for different angles, etc. They use it to test bowling ball reactions on different lane patterns, etc.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
What a big a difference and result with different RPMs. Wasn't aware they had a seniors tour. With approx. 30% of the population being 65+ by 2030 there should be increased seniors options in sports and other avenues of life.