NYC Point Gods

Bushay

NHL Expert
Pretty good documentary on Showtime. Just watched it. If you liked and/or were around for the old days of the Big East college hoops, you'll enjoy this.

I just copied one of the reviewers on IMDB. .....
"I've watched a ton of sports documentaries... particularly basketball ones and this out did them all. The story of the influence of NYC point guards is unique, inspiring and full of flavor. But the actual film was created so artfully- from the cinematography to the spoken word story teller, to the music to how each "God" was introduced on screen - it transports the viewer right into the culture. I was moved. I started practicing my dribble the next day, looking up where adult women can play bball in the city."

Good stuff.

1661736890563.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I once heard it said that underdogs on ESPN's Big Monday telecasts were live pieces because Big East referees were part of the fledgling league and they understood television ratings.

Big East higher-ups loved drama and suspense for the full two-hour game in the 1980s.

Hmmm...

Last edited:

skinny

EOG Addicted
I didn't see the documentary, but I'm sure they talked about Rafer Alston, known as skip2mylou in NYC.
A street legend who made it to the NBA.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Kareem Abdul Jabbar called Earl Manigualt the greatest player he ever saw…he was nicknamed the Goat….drugs got the better of him….

Bushay

NHL Expert
I didn't see the documentary, but I'm sure they talked about Rafer Alston, known as skip2mylou in NYC.
A street legend who made it to the NBA.
Yes, he was featured as well. It was very well done. Don't miss it when it comes around. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure of it.

Heim

EOG Master
Also fun watching the NBA stars at legendary Rucker Park on YouTube.

Kobe, Durant and Dr. J.

Revered like Gods on the sidelines.

kane

EOG master
Saw the Doc and loved it, in addition to how skilled they all were, they also had a certain attitude that only someone from NY would play with. I used to watch those And 1 mix tapes over and over

kane

EOG master
Kareem Abdul Jabbar called Earl Manigualt the greatest player he ever saw…he was nicknamed the Goat….drugs got the better of him….
The Goat was one of the greatest ballers to never play in the NBA, supposedly he could take a dollar bill off the top of the backboard and leave four quarters

skinny

EOG Addicted
How bout Lloyd "sweet pea" Daniels, he wasn't a point guard but definitely a NYC legend.
Tark tried to get him in at UNLV, but getting busted in a north Las Vegas crack house didn't help matters.