Notes and quotes from the 2022 college 🏈 season

kane

EOG master
For the most part the grades of the coaches are fine. I find 5 instances where the grades are slightly to way off.

A. Nevada - Wilson - F / How do you get an F when you won two games with zero talent. I'm not saying he's done a great job but he won his 2nd game as an underdog by 24 outright.
I'd give him a B-.

B. LSU - Kelly - B / I'd give him a C-. He had the better talent and lost which was essentially a home game in New Orleans.

C. Notre Dame - Freeman - A - While his defense was pretty good it was helped by Ohio State losing their stud WR in the 1st quarter and CJ Stroud just being off for the 1st 3 quarters. The Notre Dame offense was terrible as the scored only 10 points against a Ohio State defense that couldn't stop a cold late last season. Also, no 2nd half adjustments were made. I'd give him a B to B-.

D. Hawaii - Chang - B-. You have to be kidding? Chang is a former QB and OC. His offense scored all of 10 points vs lowly Vanderbilt and 17 versus bottom feeder Western Kentucky while turning the ball over a combined 8 times. His defense is even worse. On back to back series in the Vandy game they left a WR uncovered on the goal line and then had 3 defensive players go across the formation to cover the man in motion. Almost every transfer that came to Hawaii is a scrub. Half of the Juco teams in the country beat Hawaii right now. Objectively he has to be given an F. OK I'm in a good mood, D-.

E. Colorado State - Norvell - A / For a HC with an offensive background what was that gameplan at Michigan? They mustered up all of 219 total yards and scored their only TD with less than 2 minutes to go in the game. His QB got sacked 7 times and was running for his life all game. The kid had 12 rushes because almost every pass play was a slow developing drop back pass versus a fierce rush. They threw maybe 1 slant all game. Give him a C only because his team was overmatched.
I could be wrong, but I think Eddie gave these grades out before the season

ComptrBob

EOG Master
If given before the season, they are really speculative mostly based on spring football, recruiting, past coaching ability and quality of staff.

It is ridiculous to give Wilson an F, was he expected to rebuild Nevada from nothing this year?

Freeman an A, based on what, hype, or his Fiesta Bowl loss, after taking over from Kelly in 2021?

Preseason grades for new coaches should almost always be between D and B given so many questions that won't be answered until the games are played.

railbird

EOG Master
wazzu will always be a dump unless they have a dynamic coach, well the libtard ad and president got rid of 2 great ones in rolovich and leach. they will be heading back to 3-9 now for a long while

Heim

EOG Master
I'd give Riley a A- based only on name recognition and all the top portal prospects he brought in. It will continue because the NIL money is out there with a commitment to SC.

Difficult task to grade his coaching. He coaches nothing less than 4 stars in his career.

Phil Jackson rolled out the balls and had a triangle offense that wasn't his idea. Yet everyone thinks he's the GOAT.

Last edited:

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
Railbird - Leach although a rare bird is clearly an above average coach. He's never won anything but he consistently takes a teams with 4-8 to 6-6 talent and leads them to a winning record. Rolovich who went 5-6 at Wash St didn't do squat. He beat all of 1 team with a winning record. He only won 1 game more than he lost in 4 years at Hawaii's head guy. If you dig deeper into his Hawaii record every single time he played a ranked opponent or a quality school like UCLA, BYU, or Boise State he lost. He got out at the right time at Hawaii as since then they have axed the athletic budget in half.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd give Riley a A- based only on name recognition and all the top portal
prospects he brought in. It will continue because the NIL money is out there
with a commitment to SC.

Difficult task to grade his coaching? He coaches nothing less than 4 stars in his career.

Phil Jackson rolled out the balls and had a triangle offense that wasn't his idea. Yet
everyone thinks he's the GOAT.

I always thought Phil Jackson's genius was in the locker room, not the basketball court.

boston massacre

EOG Master
I'd give Riley a A- based only on name recognition and all the top portal
prospects he brought in. It will continue because the NIL money is out there
with a commitment to SC.

Difficult task to grade his coaching? He coaches nothing less than 4 stars in his career.

Phil Jackson rolled out the balls and had a triangle offense that wasn't his idea. Yet
Phil Jackson

Not Everyone.

Will Take This Guy Any Day Of The Week.

1662502392655.png

boston massacre

EOG Master
Imagine if Wilt had Red...

Everybody Will Always Speak About The Amount Of Points A Player Scored.

Nobody Has Ever Spoken About The Amount Of Points Bill Russell Kept Of The Board.

Michael Jordan Never Averaged Less Than 18.5 Shots Per Game In A Season.

Bill Russell Never Averaged More Than 16.5 Shots Per Game In A Season.

railbird

EOG Master
Railbird - Leach although a rare bird is clearly an above average coach. He's never won anything but he consistently takes a teams with 4-8 to 6-6 talent and leads them to a winning record.g Rolovich who went 5-6 at Wash St didn't do squat. He beat all of 1 team with a winning record. He only won 1 game more than he lost in 4 years at Hawaii's head guy. If you dig deeper into his Hawaii record every single time he played a ranked opponent or a quality school like UCLA, BYU, or Boise State he lost. He got out at the right time at Hawaii as since then they have axed the athletic budget in half.
hawaii and wazzu are absolute shitholes, he did great at both

boston massacre

EOG Master
Imagine if Wilt had Red...

1969 NBA Finals.

Game 7.

Celtics At The Lakers.

Lakers Had Celebration All Planned Out Ahead Of Time.

5 Thousand Balloons Ready To Drop From Ceiling.

Wilt Was On The Bench To Finish The Game.

Didn't Foul Out.

Celtics Flew Home For The Championship Parade.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
tex winter ripped it off from pete newell

Actually, the triangle offense was invented by Sam Barry who was Winter's basketball coach at USC (1929-1940, 1945-1950, Winter for 1946-47). Winter refined it during his coaching career. He was a ball boy for players (future coaches) Phil Woolpert and Newell at Loyola Marymount, but he learned it from Coach Barry.

railbird

EOG Master
I'd give Riley a A- based only on name recognition and all the top portal prospects he brought in. It will continue because the NIL money is out there with a commitment to SC.

Difficult task to grade his coaching. He coaches nothing less than 4 stars in his career.

Phil Jackson rolled out the balls and had a triangle offense that wasn't his idea. Yet everyone thinks he's the GOAT.
riley sucks at game prep and in game

railbird

EOG Master
get woke go broke, nina king is 12% black and acts like she is 152% black. professional victim, what a black eye for Duke

Heim

EOG Master
How good will Kentucky be when they reinstate their All SEC back Rodriguez?

Interesting how Fla coach knew his defense was done going for it on 4th and 3 on their 30 with over 3 minutes left down only a td.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
How good will Kentucky be when they reinstate their All SEC back Rodriguez?

Interesting how Fla coach knew his defense was done going for it on 4th and 3
on their 30 with over 3 minutes left down only a td.
I don't care what he thought about his defense, it was a dumb decision, plenty of time left and I believe they had all their time outs, if you go for it and don't get it you're giving KY the ball already in FG position, they should have punted, they could have given up a first down or two and still gotten the ball back

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
UNLV lefty Qb is probably top ten in the nation. But nobody knows him.

Big play in the second quarter of the Idaho State-UNLV game: UNLV QB Doug Brumfield missed his receiver and the ball went through the hands of an Idaho State cornerback at the UNLV 30-yard line.

A few plays later, UNLV scored a touchdown and the rout was on.

The score at the time of the Brumfield misfire was 17-7, UNLV.

Heim

EOG Master
This is one of the problems with the liberal transfer portal. Guys like Brumfield have a good year...6 foot 6, good arm, and 'people' get in their ear. Next think you know they're in the portal looking for bigger and better.

Exactly what happened with Daniels at Arizona St.

Be careful what you wish for.

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Daniels is average at best….

There is a kid in the western San Fernando Valley (Chaminade HS) who is committed to San Diego St. He is the highest ranked QB the Aztecs have EVER had. Only problem is he is at his 3rd high school & is yet to throw for a 1000 yards in a season…. 🤦‍♂️

kane

EOG master
Just played Michigan +3300 to win the Chip, very favorable schedule, this price won't be around in a few weeks