"Loser leaves town" match

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Back in the day, who enforced the conditions of those "loser leaves town" matches?

As a native Chicagoan, I watched pro wrestling matches at the old International Amphitheatre and the still-standing Hammond Civic Center.

Lost interest at age 13 or 14, maybe 15, but definitely 16.

Faintly remember seeing a match between Bobby Heenan and Ben the Wrestling Bear.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Re: "Loser leaves town" match

Back in the day, who enforced the conditions of those "loser leaves town" matches?

As a native Chicagoan, I watched pro wrestling matches at the old International Amphitheatre and the still-standing Hammond Civic Center.

Faintly remember seeing a match between Bobby Heenan and Ben the Wrestling Bear.
In the WWWF, it was Commissioner Jack Tunney. He ruled with an iron fist, and much like referee Joe Cortez, he was fair but he was firm.

alfie

EOG Dedicated

I read loser leaves town and thought the post was about about runner.......

mr merlin

EOG Master

They also had the "loser puts on a weasel outfit" match, that was classic Heenan.

rico1

EOG Master

Golden days of wrestling. Today's events do not have the same fervor. They also lack personalities. "The Brain" was great. Rip

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Never caught Ric Flair fever.

Dusty Rhodes was a forerunner to Flair and I faintly remember Dusty teaming up with Dick Murdoch for some tag-team bouts in Chicago.

Flair gained fame after my interest in the game waned.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I just read ESPN.com reporter Tim Fiorvanti describe Ric Flair as a 16-time world champion.

Come on now.

Bfo

EOG Addicted

Never caught Ric Flair fever.

Dusty Rhodes was a forerunner to Flair and I faintly remember Dusty teaming up with Dick Murdoch for some tag-team bouts in Chicago.

Flair gained fame after my interest in the game waned.

Before Rhodes and Flair you had umpteen times champion Harley Race, who had the personality of a wet dishrag.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Tampa native......

WRESTLING AT FT. HOMER HESTERLY ARMORY w/Gordon Solie!!

My local favorites were the Brisco brothers. Grew up minutes from Hulk Hogan.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

With major distractions
I saw and enjoyed the 30 for 30 last night.
Ric Flair
Had charisma and for my dime was a tremendous ( rile up everyone ) speaker
One of the things that I took away from the Flair “documentary “ was what Hulk Hogan said and I
Am quite sure he said with sincerity-
That he couldn’t speak as well as Flair and Hogan also said that on all levels except for brute strength Ric Flair was a vastly superior wrestler and that he took a back seat to Flair and it want even close
For sure I will watch this again without dustractions

as for the title of the thread if all the losers on this forum left it would be just me and beantownjim left posting here.....

blueline

EOG Master

I saw a chicago cougars game at the Amphitheatre

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I saw a chicago cougars game at the Amphitheatre

Ah yes.

And the hockey glass at the Amphitheatre obstructed my view at some wrestling matches.

I believe "Whitey" Stapleton played for the Chicago Cougars after his days with the Black Hawks had ended.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Meaty had the personality which catered to a "loser leaves town" match.

He was good at promoting hatred with a side of humor.

And Meaty pre-dated Trump's political antics.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Never saw a musical act, sporting event , or wrestling at the old Amphitheater. Only time i was there was to see Evil Knievel jump over some cars. Was a huge Evel fan when i was a young teen. Maybe 1972?

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Joe Frazier's last fight was against Floyd (Jumbo) Cummings and they fought to a Draw. That fight was at Chicago's international Amphitheater. December 1981.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember the stench from the old Stockyards near 43rd and Halsted on the south side of Chicago.