Little Andy Serling

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
He plays big among public handicappers.

I enjoy his thought process when doping out winners at NYRA racetracks.

He also makes for interesting television because he's not afraid to cite when broadcast partners are silly or plain stupid.

I listened closely today to his commentary on "Talking Horses," a preview show featuring the Opening Day card at Saratoga.

How about five winners on top for Andy, including a pair of mild upsets at $19.40 and $13.20!

The smartest line I heard today was when Andy quoted former jockey Richard Migliore who once said, "You have to know the difference between a bad ride and an unlucky ride."

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated
Little Andy could drink with the best of them.Nobody loves Toga more than him and he has a good time upstate.Can't wait to get up there myself

howid

EOG Dedicated
always believed if you win the claiming lottery, you were on the hook regardless, at least here in ontario i believe. guess the nyra does things differently:

Veterinarian voids claim on opening day

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - Trainer Rudy Rodriguez thought he got lucky when he won a 14-way shake to claim High Tide, a 1 1/4-length winner of Thursday’s third race on opening day at Saratoga. A little while later, he received word that the claim was voided because High Tide was deemed to be lame by the attending veterinarian back at the test barn, according to the stewards.

Thus, the horse was returned to trainer Carlos Martin and M and A Racing.

The voided claim in race 3 was not the first of the card. Bear Valley was claimed for $20,000 out of a sixth-place finish in Saratoga’s first race, but the claim was voided. Bob Klesaris had won a six-way shake to get that one.

Rodriguez thought he made a good claim for $40,000. High Tide won for the third time in six starts this year.

“They ruined the day for me,” Rodriguez said. “Every horse that tries comes back a little beat up. I’m kind of disappointed.”

Trainers can opt to keep a horse when the claim is voided by the veterinarians, but then they have to go through certain protocols before the horse is allowed to race again.

“You have to work the horse back in 10 days,” Rodriguez said. “If [the vet] didn’t like him today, how is he going to like him next week?”

Valuist

EOG Master
We hear Serling talk about horses from the 70s but he grew up in Saratoga Springs and was going to the races as a kid. In Beyer's book Picking Winners, he refers to Serling as "The Kid", but that was no exaggeration.,

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No wonder Serling praises Beyer's book, "Picking Winners," non-stop.

That's where "The Kid" got his start.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Settled in on a late Sunday night/early Monday morning to watch the race replays from Saratoga.

My favorite way to digest the replays is to watch "Talking Horses" on NYRA's YouTube channel and then watch each replay one-by-one.

So I heard Andy Serling make a case for #4 Light Man to win the Sunday opener at Saratoga.

Sure enough, Light Man, with Jose Ortiz aboard, went gate-to-wire and paid $17.20 to win.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Serling and Stabile agreed in the third race Sunday at Saratoga.

Crosstalk was the shared selection and she won and paid $4.70.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Serling is good.

Of course, he's cocky because that's part of his schtick.

But it ain't braggin'...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Serling hit the sixth-race exacta cold.

The 6-9 exacta returned $16.40 for every dollar invested.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Serling loves to promote NYRA linesmaker David Aragona.

Serling claims Aragona is the best linemaker in the country and I trust his assessment.

1658416359551.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Aragona started at Timeform US, then hooked up with Daily Racing Form and later became the NYRA linesmaker.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Aragona's all-time favorite racehorse is Rachel Alexandra.

Aragona lives in Queens.

He uses public transportation to get to Belmont Park.

Last edited: