Does questionable mean probable?

railbird

EOG Master
Seems like it in these days with NFL injury reports.

Also, doubtful means questionable.

Probable means 100% in.

If "not on IR and out" means doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heim

EOG Master
It depends how much influence the player has over the coaching staff.

Herbert was questionable most of the week, but talked the coaching
staff into playing. Team physician said no.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
A long time ago, I read (supposedly) probable is 75% in, questionable is 50% in, doubtful is 25% and out is 0% in.

mr merlin

EOG Master
They're now required to list every player with any teeny tiny injury or twinge. so they are now all the probables. basically every category has moved down a notch.

So if tom brady is slightly sore and sits out of practice just because he can, that's listed as an injury - he'd be probable.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
seems like it in these injury reports.

also. doubtfull means questionable. probable means 100pct in. if not on ir and out means doubtfull
In NBA it does for sure rail. I think questionable is over 75% to play but not sure about NFL. I do assume more likely to play in NFL when listed as questionable though.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The NFL no longer uses the term "probable."

For years, Bill Belichick gamed the system and the NFL did not like it.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
The NFL no longer uses the term "probable."

For years, Bill Belichick gamed the system and the NFL did not like it.

Yep, for the 2016 season, the NFL dropped "probable" and redefined questionable and doubtful.

“The ‘Probable’ category was eliminated from the Game Status Report because approximately 95 percent of the players who were listed as ‘Probable’ in prior years did in fact play in the game,” the league explained.

There was a reason for that high percentage of participation. Although many believed that “probable” suggested a 75-percent likelihood of playing, it actually meant that the player was virtually certain to be available for normal duty. After the Falcons scratched quarterback Mike Vick, who had been listed as probable with a knee injury, from a 2005 game against New England, the league reminded teams of the true meaning of “probable,” and it began routinely investigating situations in which a player listed as “probable” did not actually play.

The NFL also has changed the meaning of “questionable” and “doubtful”; previously, the “questionable” category reflected a 50-50 likelihood of playing, and “doubtful” meant a 75-percent chance the player wouldn’t play. Now, “questionable” simply means that “it is uncertain as to whether the player will play in the game,” and “doubtful” means that “it is unlikely the player will participate.”

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Tom Brady was listed as "probable" for most every game of his career in New England.

It was a running gag at the time.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Yep, for the 2016 season, the NFL dropped "probable" and redefined questionable and doubtful.

“The ‘Probable’ category was eliminated from the Game Status Report because approximately 95 percent of the players who were listed as ‘Probable’ in prior years did in fact play in the game,” the league explained.

There was a reason for that high percentage of participation. Although many believed that “probable” suggested a 75-percent likelihood of playing, it actually meant that the player was virtually certain to be available for normal duty. After the Falcons scratched quarterback Mike Vick, who had been listed as probable with a knee injury, from a 2005 game against New England, the league reminded teams of the true meaning of “probable,” and it began routinely investigating situations in which a player listed as “probable” did not actually play.

The NFL also has changed the meaning of “questionable” and “doubtful”; previously, the “questionable” category reflected a 50-50 likelihood of playing, and “doubtful” meant a 75-percent chance the player wouldn’t play. Now, “questionable” simply means that “it is uncertain as to whether the player will play in the game,” and “doubtful” means that “it is unlikely the player will participate.”

But The Bottom Line With Being Questionable or Doubtful, Has No Difference.

Because, Come Game Time, You Can Play, Regardless Of Your Listed Status.

Being Listed As OUT, Eliminates Your Chance Of Playing On Game Day.

Valuist

EOG Master
I’ve always viewed it this way:

Probable- will play and performance will not be compromised.
Questionable- will play but performance likely impacted
Doubtful- out

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
To use questionable is too much of a neutral term. Questionable in a typical world would mean 50-50. A coin flip to return or sit out the remainder of the game. Brady missed 2 games in the preseason due to personal reasons. That's being out. Unless now the league is using 'likeky' to return. I saw no flaws the way the terminology was used previously.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
After Tua was carted off the field last night, I wonder if the refs will be flag-happy this Sunday involving action around quarterbacks?

Valuist

EOG Master
After Tua was carted off the field last night, I wonder if the refs will be flag-happy this Sunday involving action around quarterbacks?

I think you know the answer to that. We know the QBs are the meal ticket. Normally they want to protect them but when a light gets shined on a QB injury, you know the refs supervisors are telling them, when in doubt, throw a flag.

Last edited by a moderator: