Costa Rica's colorful currency

This is Costa Rica's highest denomination bill, the 50,000 colones issue, which is part of the new family of banknotes released earlier last year. Current exchange rate sets this bill's equivalency in US dollars to about $100.

Costa Rica has been known to produce beautiful looking banknotes over the years and the latest features imagery depicting ecosystems such as Cloud Forest, Rain Forest, Mangroves, Dry Forest, Tundra, etc.

The 50,000 colones edition features a stunning Morpho Butterfly, and attract lots of buyer interest on popular auction websites such as ebay.com

Re: Costa Rica's colorful currency

I like the new 5k bills a lot, its a shame though that the next generation will never know the significance of the "Tucan".

Ezio Auditore

EOG Member

Finally they get one, but I wonder how difficult it will getting merchants to accept it?

@NES, they'll learn. I still say teja, rojo, y tucan, and everybody understands.

Yes. Plenty.

The current 10,000 colones banknote features Jose Figueres Ferrer.

From Wikipedia>
Jos? Mar?a Hip?lito Figueres Ferrer (25 September 1906 – 8 June 1990), served as President of Costa Rica on three occasions: 1948–1949, 1953–1958, and 1970–1974.
During his first term in office, he abolished the country's army, nationalized its banking sector, and granted women and blacks the right to vote.

@NES, they'll learn. I still say teja, rojo, y tucan, and everybody understands.

Yeah I can see that whole situation going down. "hey yall, anybody got change for a toucan?" or "how much of this mota can I get for una rojo".

Right Move

EOG Dedicated

Lot of good this does, last time I went down there I got a beer in a bar for 900 colones and the bartender claimed she didn't have change for my 5000 bill. :finger004