Bears

kane

EOG master
Steelers trade Pickett to the Eagles, rumors are they have interest in Fields to back up Wilson, they gave up on Pickett pretty quick

mr merlin

EOG Master
With a 35 year old QB and 2 games each vs the Ravens and Browns? You’d better have a decent backup.
You can trade for a backup if you're giving up almost nothing - a 5th rd pick, etc. Fields would cost far more. Unless if the plan would be to play fields with wilson to take over when it's obvious fields sucks.

Valuist

EOG Master
You can trade for a backup if you're giving up almost nothing - a 5th rd pick, etc. Fields would cost far more. Unless if the plan would be to play fields with wilson to take over when it's obvious fields sucks.
The price on Fields has clearly come down. I believe Wilson is only signed for one year and Fields will be in the last year of his rookie contract. Some QBs take a while to figure things out. Mayfield should’ve been Comeback Player of the Year last year after a poor 2022 season. Rich Gannon won an MVP after several years of unspectacular play. Fields isn’t a very good passer at this point but he is definitely better than he showed in 2021. The gamble would be he would improve more.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The price on Fields has clearly come down. I believe Wilson is only signed for one year and Fields will be in the last year of his rookie contract. Some QBs take a while to figure things out. Mayfield should’ve been Comeback Player of the Year last year after a poor 2022 season. Rich Gannon won an MVP after several years of unspectacular play. Fields isn’t a very good passer at this point but he is definitely better than he showed in 2021. The gamble would be he would improve more.
Fields got a little better last year and no doubt he'll continue to improve - the bar is so low almost anything is an improvement.

You know a QB just doesn't have it when they throw the occasional "good" pass and everyone looks at each other and says "did you see that one, he hit him on the numbers", that's Fields in a nutshell, good QB;s are supposed to throw mostly good passes with an occasional bad one - he's the other way around.

kane

EOG master
Would you ever trade for a backup?
If the Steelers make the trade it would be with the expectation that Fields could eventually become the starter, no way to know how much longer Russ will play or if he'll play well enough to remain the starter all year, to answer your question, I wouldn't trade for a veteran backup, there are plenty of guys like Jacoby Brissett that you can sign without giving anything up, but if you can get a young QB with some upside for a cheap price, why not take the chance, since the Bears have limited options, that allows the Steelers to make a low ball offer, maybe they can get him for a 5th round pick, or a pick swap, assuming the Bears take Williams I can't see a scenario where they also retain Fields, for the Steelers it would be a low risk/high reward situation, I certainly wouldn't give up a high pick for him, but a low round pick for a guy taken in the first round with still some upside seems like a chance worth taking

mr merlin

EOG Master
If the Steelers make the trade it would be with the expectation that Fields could eventually become the starter, no way to know how much longer Russ will play or if he'll play well enough to remain the starter all year, to answer your question, I wouldn't trade for a veteran backup, there are plenty of guys like Jacoby Brissett that you can sign without giving anything up, but if you can get a young QB with some upside for a cheap price, why not take the chance, since the Bears have limited options, that allows the Steelers to make a low ball offer, maybe they can get him for a 5th round pick, or a pick swap, assuming the Bears take Williams I can't see a scenario where they also retain Fields, for the Steelers it would be a low risk/high reward situation, I certainly wouldn't give up a high pick for him, but a low round pick for a guy taken in the first round with still some upside seems like a chance worth taking
To a bad and desperate team fields might be worth a 2 or a 3rd rd pick tops, honestly why bother, better to take a chance on a college guy and hope.

kane

EOG master
To a bad and desperate team fields might be worth a 2 or a 3rd rd pick tops, honestly why bother, better to take a chance on a college guy and hope.
If the Bears are adamant on a high pick, then if I were the Steelers I would pass, I would only trade for him if I could get him on my terms, meaning a lower round pick, keeping him on the roster doesn't seem like a viable option for the Bears, at some point they'll have little choice but to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Also, how many teams need a QB right now? The ones that do like NE and Wash will take one in the draft, the Vikings could use a QB, but will the Bears trade in the division, and that's assuming Minny even wants him, seems like there are no landing spots for Fields at this point, so like I said, if I'm Pitt I make a low ball offer, if the Bears accept, fine, if not, no big deal

mr merlin

EOG Master
If the Bears are adamant on a high pick, then if I were the Steelers I would pass, I would only trade for him if I could get him on my terms, meaning a lower round pick, keeping him on the roster doesn't seem like a viable option for the Bears, at some point they'll have little choice but to trade him for pennies on the dollar. Also, how many teams need a QB right now? The ones that do like NE and Wash will take one in the draft, the Vikings could use a QB, but will the Bears trade in the division, and that's assuming Minny even wants him, seems like there are no landing spots for Fields at this point, so like I said, if I'm Pitt I make a low ball offer, if the Bears accept, fine, if not, no big deal
The vikes signed sam darnold, we're going to draft a QB and let him watch darnold suck for maybe 1/2 the season before putting the rookie in.

blueline

EOG Master
From Schefter:

Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.

blueline

EOG Master
I know Mike Greenberg must be heartbroken....from Breer:

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was upfront with Justin Fields—told him that Russell Wilson is the starter, and Fields will work from there. Fields has told people he’s excited for the new beginning. Tomlin’s connections at Ohio State run deep, so that didn’t hurt.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I know Mike Greenberg must be heartbroken....from Breer:

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was upfront with Justin Fields—told him that Russell Wilson is the starter, and Fields will work from there. Fields has told people he’s excited for the new beginning. Tomlin’s connections at Ohio State run deep, so that didn’t hurt.
Tomlins racial motives are clear.

Valuist

EOG Master
Tomlins racial motives are clear.

Ummm, how do you figure that? How many regular season wins? How many above .500 seasons? I think many teams would be better off with Tomlin at the helm. I fail to see how he supposedly has put a racial agenda above winning.

blueline

EOG Master
fields on Nate"s nuggets:

Nate (Peterman) did this last week. It is good to have a guy like Nate in the room, a guy that’s been in multiple offenses, who has seen defenses for a lot of years. For the last preseason game, he did a thing called “Nate’s Nuggets,” and it was just a bunch of little notes he took throughout the week. He put them on a little sheet for us. I was reading it Thursday, Friday night and Saturday before the game. It’s good to have a guy to just remind you of little stuff you might forget when you’re just overwhelmed by so much other stuff.