any decent food outs in Costa Rica

macau

EOG Addicted
Went to a place called Doris yesterday-santa ana - it was pretty decent/very good .

every now and then go to marriot hotel out in belen for $42 meal on sundays - its also quite good but avoid it if it is too jammed .

carpe deim -escazu - think guy owns it is involved in betting game - good food but not much of it when it comes.

the market - 24hour place at intercon hotel - used to be better - average food now for most part .

anyone got any good places ?

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran
Re: any decent food outs in Costa Rica

The 2 for 1 lunch deal at Tony Roma's is fukin awesome!! Especially the Onion Hamburger with a 1/2 pound of beef with fries for 7,500. Might be too low end for your Doris and Marriot tastes tho......:btj:

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

La Fabrica has very good value as well, along with a house red somewhat equal to Carpe Diem..:pop:

macau

EOG Addicted

thanks Seadawg - will check them out - went to Tony romas one night about a year ago, it was not good - prob better off going for lunch as you said.

Went to hippos like 3 weeks ago - ordered some burgers - eneded up spitting my firts bite out lol - could not eat it , my friend continued with his - he ended up being sick for like 3 days after it lol

i now see the hippos sign is gone - must be out of business - what a mess that place was.

other place beside hippos is a place called solo mios italian place or something - avoid at all costs - brutal

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

Tony and the ol <ponteveccio crew Tres Scallini moved to Sabanna somewhere, and only compliments from waht I have heard, Nes as with everything else will probably know.....

L'Olivos is a great choice for Italian.

For Japanese and Korean cuisine, I recommend Hibachi Restaurant, located 100 meters West from the main ICE building in Sabana Norte. If you pay with a Banco de Costa Rica card (debit or credit) they give you a 40% discount!!!

Some friends of mine are soon opening a Vietnamese specialty, fast food restaurant. I have tried their famous Banh-Mi sandwiches and spring rolls and highly recommend you try 'em out.

This is what a Banh-mi sandwich looks like:

Will let you know as soon as they officially open.

Another friend of mine recently treated me to Indian cuisine at the Taj-Mahal restaurant on the way to Santa Ana. Pretty interesting place, and their lunch specials are not pricey at all.

For typical but very tasty Costa Rican traditional dishes, check out scenic Freddo Fresas located en route to Poas Volcano. Wonderful place to visit, and sight see. They have a beautiful garden in across the street from their restaurant.

macau

EOG Addicted

thanks for the places Willy / Mike - will check out some of these places

For italian i really like ilpadrino, its about a block from cemaco going from laa sabana to pavas.

Another underrated place is la Vineria at la Garita. They have an italian/argentinian menu and their wine is awesome and the bottle costs like $10 if you order it to go and $20 if you drink it there.
thanks Seadawg - will check them out - went to Tony romas one night about a year ago, it was not good - prob better off going for lunch as you said.

Went to hippos like 3 weeks ago - ordered some burgers - eneded up spitting my firts bite out lol - could not eat it , my friend continued with his - he ended up being sick for like 3 days after it lol

i now see the hippos sign is gone - must be out of business - what a mess that place was.

other place beside hippos is a place called solo mios italian place or something - avoid at all costs - brutal

macau

EOG Addicted

yeah George i tried ilpadrino about a year ago and it sucked...would not go back.

la garita is too far out for me,

eogmike - not mad on taj mahal to be honest

I've kinda given up on plenty of places - 95% of places suck in costa rica.
have the girlfriend calling over more now these days to cook early afternoon

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

There is a new little place in the strip mall with the AM/PM across from world gym, great ambiance and food with an upstairs area to watch the game (one tv) nice guy no tits and a smile, as its an all male staff but worth a shot.

He had an all you can eat special for a while at 12,000 but never tried it, flyers are out front.

Carpe Diem seems to be the best for me, ambiance of seperate dining, great food, great staff, TV's in the bar/club part, DJ's and good house red, not exactly Somona cab/sav 2006 but a few steps above the Close box wine which is rather tasty when chilled.......:houra

macau

EOG Addicted

yeah thanks seadawg must try it - know it meaning to try it for while now..

agree carpe diem is cool