2022 Hot Stove

MrTop

EOG Master

Pro Athletes Allegedly Involved in Illegal Gambling Business​

• U.S. prosecutors say MLB players involved in illegal gambling
  • California operation took $5 million bet on Super Bowl in 2019

MrTop

EOG Master
And this season, Manfred — who, like Goodell, portrays himself as what he so consistently and conspicuously isn’t (fans’ leading advocate) — is good with it, perhaps even proud of it.

And now MLB, in exchange for tens of millions in Apple TV streaming dough, will exploit the Mets’ second game of the season — next Friday night’s game at the Nationals, Max Scherzer expected to make his first start for the Mets — as pay-extra subscription bait. The game will not be televised on SNY or Channel 11 but exclusively on a “first-few-are-free” internet devices.

And more than 20 Yankees’ games will be removed from free Channel 11 viewing, lost to added-fees Amazon streaming deal.

More decisions that should’ve been too preposterous, too ugly, too greedy, and too unnatural to have even been considered. It’s anathema to the good and welfare of The Game. But instead of “No way!” MLB answered “How much?”

“Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this pay wall!”

Valuist

EOG Master
Jacob DeGrom with shoulder tightness, scratched from his start today.

Imagine that. Could we imagine a Met team overpriced in their RSW totals? Certainly plenty of precedent for that. They weren't even on my radar but these teams that make the big free agent signings.....have to look under for that year. Maybe in a year it gels, but for 2022, Mets are an under or pass.

kane

EOG master
What about the guy with all the hair, his name escapes me but I thought he's suppoosed to be pretty good

Valuist

EOG Master
Glad to hear it. I bet Under 84 1/2 earlier today.

Speaking of RSW totals, I took Colorado Over 68 1/2 wins (BetRivers). This team won 48 games at Coors last year, and Denver is always a solid HFA. I think they have a few guys who have the right pitch mix to pitch there (heavy on fastballs/changeups; light on breaking pitches). I believe Bryant > Story. As for the rest of the division, Giants clearly will have serious regression from last year. The Dodgers will be very tough, but that is an old roster. Injuries could be a factor. I do like SD a bit, but Tatis is showing signs of being injury prone. And Arizona still terrible. Not a high bar to top to reach 69 wins.

Last edited:

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
I loved how the Twins dumped Donaldson's 2 years and 50 million on the clueless Cashman and the Yankees.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
what happened to cashman? it is like he got dropped on his head

He's cost the Yankee brass almost 1/2 a billion in luxury tax payments over the past 20 years, because he couldn't stay under the salary cap. For some strange reason, he always gets a pass from Yankee management and the New York media. I guess maybe he is living off the late 90's success. Even though they should credit Stick Michael and Buck for that success. Joe Torre stepped in shit. He was announcing games in a trailer, when George fired Buck and hired Torre, who stunk as a manager in the 80's.

MrTop

EOG Master
He's cost the Yankee brass almost 1/2 a billion in luxury tax payments over the past 20 years, because he couldn't stay under the salary cap. For some strange reason, he always gets a pass from Yankee management and the New York media. I guess maybe he is living off the late 90's success. Even though they should credit Stick Michael and Buck for that success. Joe Torre stepped in shit. He was announcing games in a trailer, when George fired Buck and hired Torre, who stunk as a manager in the 80's.

one knock on Showalter is he fell for george Costanza's cotton uniforms idea

Valuist

EOG Master
I was playing the over, wanted the best number. It’s a pass now.

Lance Lynn nicked up for the Sox already.
Yep. Just bet Lynn Under 192 1/2 strikeouts. Out 4 weeks, so he likely will have a pitch/innings limit when he comes back. Very hard to see him getting to 193 strikeouts.

Valuist

EOG Master
How good is Trevor Story? Here's a breakdown of home/road splits, as he's played his entire career in Colorado:

Home: .303 BA/ .603 SP/ .972 OPS/ 125 WRC+ / 24.7% K rate
Road: .241 BA/ .442 SP/ .718 OPS/ 98 WRC+ / 30.6% K rate

Valuist

EOG Master
I think Philly will come down to what they get out of 3B and SS. Gregorius had some real solid years with the Yankees, then just lost it last year. He's 32, so there's concern he won't get back that Yankee form. And Bohm/Stott at 3B is a crapshoot. Of course, they have enough offense elsewhere to make up for lack of production at 3B, and possibly SS.

The starting staff of Wheeler/Nola/Suarez/Gibson/Eflin looks pretty solid. The bullpen of Knebel, Hand, Familia and Alvarado, on paper, is 4 guys who've had success. But are some past their prime. Eflin as a 5 is pretty strong. There's some question marks in the division. Talent? Sure, but the Mets went all in on free agency, and we've seen that doesn't always work. Can DeGrom log more than 100 innings? I see Scherzer is day to day w/hamstring tightness. He's a HoFer but at 37, maybe he regresses. Atlanta caught fire late last year with their trade deadline acquisitions. Acuna will start out on the DL and Morton is 38 and coming off his second highest IP ever. Miami will win some low scoring games. They've added Soler and Garcia but still seem offensively challenged. Washington looks terrible heading into this season. At mid 80s, I would look over before under on Philly. At 3.3-1 not a bad bet to win the NL East.

kane

EOG master
The starting staff of Wheeler/Nola/Suarez/Gibson/Eflin looks pretty solid.
Nola was bad last year, he needs a bounce back season, and Gibson was great for Texas, as soon as he got traded to Philly, not so good, Suarez could be the key to their rotation, he needs to be good for them

Valuist

EOG Master
Nola was bad last year, he needs a bounce back season, and Gibson was great for Texas, as soon as he got traded to Philly, not so good, Suarez could be the key to their rotation, he needs to be good for them

The 4.63 ERA wasn't good, but his FIP and XFIP both were 3.37. Fastball velocity right in line with 2019 and 2020, His walk rate was the best of his career, as was his K/BB ratio. BABIP was up and his strand rate his worst since 2016, so he looks like he was the victim of some bad sequencing and variance. Definitely a bounce back candidate. But at 32/1 to win the WS? Why not take that?

Valuist

EOG Master
Jonathon Villar. He's listed at 6'0" 233 lbs. That seems awfully heavy for a guy who's played 2B-SS most of his career, and stole 60 bases one season and over 40 as recent as 2019. Was this guy always that heavy?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Jonathon Villar. He's listed at 6'0" 233 lbs. That seems awfully heavy for a guy who's played 2B-SS most of his career, and stole 60 bases one season and over 40 as recent as 2019. Was this guy always that heavy?
Not that I can remember. Damn that’s big.

Valuist

EOG Master
Rather than betting either the White Sox, Twins, Tigers or Royals over, I’m keeping it simple: Cleveland Under 77.5 wins. This team cannot hit. Just no margin for error for Bieber, McKenzie et all. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Ramirez is dealt at the deadline.

Valuist

EOG Master
I took the Brewers minus 1.5 runs. Hendricks has had his struggles in April. Maybe he needs more innings to get in rhythm. Maybe he doesn’t like the cold. I often see him blowing on his fingers in the cold. Some pitchers have trouble gripping the ball in the cold. Heritage already out with a total of 10.5 as wind is blowing out.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I took the Brewers minus 1.5 runs. Hendricks has had his struggles in April. Maybe he needs more innings to get in rhythm. Maybe he doesn’t like the cold. I often see him blowing on his fingers in the cold. Some pitchers have trouble gripping the ball in the cold. Heritage already out with a total of 10.5 as wind is blowing out.
Most of these games should have extended bullpen usage in the first week. I didn’t think they were going to play today, but the weather is looking a little better, still cold and windy.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
That Nationals staff is awful. Corbin your opening day starter. How is that 6 year 140 miillion dollar contract working out.

Valuist

EOG Master
It's April 8, and Patrick Sandoval of the Angels is missing a start due to "arm fatigue". You can't make that up. Angels fever. #Under84.5

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Very nice win for the Tigers today. Playing them live could have been a very nice return. Pollack misplayed two balls in the 9th that cost the Sox the game.