2009 College Football Notebook

Re: 2009 College Football Notebook

At USC, it apppears that Aaron Corp will keep his starting QB role, if he can practice without a very bulky brace on his leg. Pete Carroll was very impressed with him yesterday.

I am stunned that the NCAA did the RIGHT thing with the Bryce Brown situation. As I posted before, punish the guy who set all of this up, not the kids.

Just a little side note. The Alabama-Va. Tech game has been taken off the board at many Vegas books. I know of no reason for this. As far as I know, there are no new injuries to report on either team.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BD, keep us posted on the Bama/VT situation if you find out anything.

I'll check out the injury reports.

Thanks.

I posted an article in the VT/Bama thread...VT has had all 3 backup RB's get hurt over the last 2 weeks. Nothing major, but none of them may be 100% come game time.

It was not an injury. The NCAA has reopened the investigation about the fishing trip that those two took during the off season. They are officially listed as "Questionable", until this mess get ironed out. I thought that this was hammered out months ago. I guess not.

It was not an injury. The NCAA has reopened the investigation about the fishing trip that those two took during the off season. They are officially listed as "Questionable", until this mess get ironed out. I thought that this was hammered out months ago. I guess not.

well there was a minor injury yesterday whether thats why the the line was OTB I dont know

How can the investigation affect the 2's PT for a game in 10 days?

Romo, this has been going on since the spring. I have no idea how to answer your question. It was alleged taht an Auburn alum set this up in an attempt to trap the two 'Bama players and have them declared ineligable for the season. Your guews is as good as mine.

As far as injuries go, I hope 'Bama has a lot of LB's because the injury list is starting to look like a casualty list. 5 are out for the year. They also have a bunch of nagging injuries at other positions.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BD, defensive line and linebacker are Bama strengths. Good depth at both positions.
Several linebackers left or were ask to leave because of the talent with the young
linebackers. Saban has recruited well at that position. Remember this name: Nico
Johnson, freshman. Could be another repeat of what #30 did as a freshman last year.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

During Saturday's scrimmage, Mark Ingram banged up his shoulder a little and Julio Jones
tweaked his ankle. Both were back at practice this week and doing fine.

ALABAMA
Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said "four or five" of his players have contracted the flu virus that has affected students on campus since they began arriving for classes two weeks ago. Terrence Cody (nose tackle) was the only player named as being sick. He has missed the Tide's past two practices. Precautions to keep the problem from worsening began immediately. Sick players were quarantined in their dorm, and proper sanitation has been preached to the rest of the team. The issue didn't crop up until after the roster expanded on the first day of classes. It has been reported as many as 50 cases of swine flu among University of Alabama students in the when classes started August 19. The strain that has sickened football players was not identified as of yesterday. Having the flu may be what Cody needs to lose some weight.

MICHAEL VICK
(probably should be in NFL section but will offer here)
Forgive me for piling on Michael Vick, who has had enough trouble in his life for the past three years. Vick has served a 23 month dog fighting sentence, including two months of home confinement, but the Philadelphia Eagles signed him recently and will pay him $1.6 million for this season. There's an option for a second year worth $5.2 million. My question....is Vick really that good? He is 29 and has missed the past three seasons. Before his break from the NFL to go to jail, he didn't prove himself to be a top-echelon quarterback. Sure, in 2006, he rushed for 1,039 yards, but he got sacked 45 times. He has never thrown for more than 2,500 yards or 20 touchdowns. His passer rating has never ranked in the top 10. His career completion percentage is 53.8. Let's compare him to Donovan McNabb, who is the Eagles' five time Pro Bowl quarterback. Even when McNabb played in nine games in 2005 because of injury, he still threw for 2,507 yards. That's the second lowest total of his career. He never has completed less than 57 percent of his passes in a single season. He has ranked in the top nine in passer rating in the NFL five times. He rushed for only 147 yards last year but was sacked only 23 times. McNabb is 82-45 as a starting quarterback to Vick's 38-28. Again, what's worth so much about Michael Vick??? (My opinion and welcome yours)

*I watch NE Missouri at Abilene Christian on TV last night. College football is here.

Clover, everything in T'town looks good man, just hope the ncaa don't come down on Bama at the last min. with this Ingram / Jones crap. Great to have caught up with the gang

Roll Tide....
Big Fred....

The Michael Vick thing has really gotten out of hand. He is not a starting QB. He will be used sparingly in other positions for possible trick plays. We all know about his past life. I say, let it go at that. Back to College Football.

No new odds to report. Several books in Vegas still have 'Bama-Va. Tech off the board. This may be one of those last minute deals. If Sheridan has them off the board, the current lines are -6.5 in the few Vegas books that are carrying the game, and -7 off shore.

Announced starting QB's in the Pac 10:

Riley at Cal.
Luck at Stanford.
Barkley at USC.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

SOUTHERN CAL
Matt Barkley has just been named the starting QB. Barkley will become the first true
freshman to ever start for USC at the position. The QB battle will be interesting to
watch once the season gets underway. The kid must be good.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Sorry folks, Bigdaddy had already posted the above. I just heard it on the radio.

They did that yesterday. Corp was not ready to go, and Carroll wasted no time in pocking the Freshman. He graduated Mater Dei High School, one of the premier football High Schools in California, where he also started as a freshman. He never lost the job in 4 years.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

ALABAMA (an insiders take)
Our Defensive Line just looks outstanding. Its almost unfair when you line Cody, Deadrick, Washington and Hightower up and when you consider the depth we have behind them its scary good. It is amazing how quickly we have gone from the bottom of the SEC in D-Line play to the top of the league.

Rolando McClain (LB) is a football machine. Coach Saban has said Ro is the smartest player he has ever coached. He just understands defense. Coach will joke with him and tell him if he doesn't catch on with an NFL team he will always have a spot on Coach's staff. I know Brandon Spikes is getting all the attention, but I feel Ro is the best LB in the SEC and it isn't close. He is up to 260 and has a frame that could handle more weight. He has not lost any speed. In fact, he ran a better 40 this year than he did last year.

Dont'a Hightower (LB) is cut from the same mold as Rolando. He eats, drinks and sleeps football. If he is able to move to Jack full time this year he will be an All-American as a sophomore and our pass rush will be much, much better.

Nico Johnson (LB, freshman) has been very impressive. Cory Reamer (LB) has a game he plays with the young LB's by pop quizzing them on defensive calls. Johnson has yet to miss a question. He is a Coach Saban LB and early indications are the he can make a McClain/Hightower type of impact. If so, look for Hightower to move to Jack full time.

Kareem Jackson (CB) has been our best looking DB thus far. He has started the previous two years and is primed for a great season.

Incoming High School All-American (DB) Dre Kirkpatrick has veen very impressive. Coach Saban has this game he plays with the DBs where he will catch them not paying attention and then throw a ball at them. To this point, Dre has caught every Saban thrown ball. Coach will say "I'll get you" and then storm off.

Overall I think out defense is going to be the best one we have put on the field since 1992 (National Champions). We have size, speed, defensive back play and heart. This group, and this team, has a chance to be special.

On Offense, look for us to mirror Oklahoma's offense from last year. We will run some out of the Spread and our traditional power offense and we will do it running without a huddle. The feeling is that QB Greg McElroy can run a no huddle offense. This is not something new. Coach Saban has been trying to run a no huddle since he has been here.

Greg McElroy is a rock and the unquestioned leader of the offense. He has dinner with each group of offensive set during the week and some members of the defense. Greg can be a special player and is destined to do great things. I have no doubts he will go down as one of Alabama's better quarterbacks. He has much more talent than John Parker Wilson and the dude can bench press almost 400 pounds.

Mark Ingram (RB) is a bowling ball in cleats. The hardest hit thus far in practice was when Mark and Rolando met on an off tackle play and it sounded like a cannon went off. It was such a big hit that it got Coach Saban excited and jumping around. Most thought the play was a draw between Ro and Mark. Neither will shy away from contact.

Trent Richardson (RB, freshman) is living up to the hype. He looks like a 4 year veteran of Coach Cochran's brutal weight program. His only real issue has been his pass catching. Coach Saban keeps telling him he is going to make him practice in boxing gloves if his pass catching does not improve. The kid is a worker and coming in with all the hype has earned the respect of his teammates.

Julio Jones (WR) looks like an NFL player right now. He is uncoverable in practice. Not because of bad DB play but because he is the best WR in the country. Unlike a lot of players with his talent, he does not take it for granted. On most days he is up by 5 am running routes by himself. He has been a positive influence for all the receivers. He and McElroy are really working well together.

Michael Bowman (WR, freshman) has been very impressive. Some say he looks like a USC type receiver. A Mike Williams, Dewayen Jarret type. He's 6'4" and 215 pounds and could take a lot of pressure off Jones. He has really impressed in pre-season.

Mike Johnson (T) has become the General Patton of the offense. He is stepping up and getting into the faces of players like Caldwell did last year. He has been a great player for us and will be a good NFL player.

Chance Warmack (G, freshman) is impressing everyone with his work ethic and his non-stop motor. He gets to the 2nd level as good as anyone on the offensive line not named Johnson.

D.J. Fluker (T, high school All-American, freshman) had a rough start, but the last few practices he has really stepped his game up. During one practice he was getting whipped by Brandon Deadrick. Some felt he was losing his confidence and then Mike Johnson lit a fire under him. The next play he put Deadrick on his back and that one play seemed to flip the switch on for him. Some feel he developed lazy habits last year in high school because he could just dominate the oposition. Since the Deadrick pancake, he has looked like a starting left tackle. Andre Smith started as a freshman and DJ may also. If not, he will before the season is over.

The players are excited and feel this could be a special season. One thing for sure, they are working hard getting ready for a really good Virginia Tech team.

ROLL TIDE!

Alabama does not have the offense to compete with Florida. Both defenses are very good, but Bama's QB is certainly nothing special. He may be a leader, but he has no talent. The line is extremely thin, and has very little experience. 'Bama is going to have all kinds of problems scoring against good defenses this season. They will have to depend on their defense to win their games. The same defense that collapsed at the end of last season. 'Bama is going to lose some games this season.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

First, BD we always appreciate people who speak their minds and differ with us as long
as it's not junior high BS. You shoot straight and we like that. Little card game tonight
and trying to behave. We (I) gripe about sillyness and then sometimes usually about
this time show my ass. Noob and others are doing a hell of a job keeping the football
forum clean. Good for them and I've told Noob to kick my ass if I get out of line.

You saw my rating on Bama in your poll. No homer involved. They get past VT which
will be a challenge, then look at their schedule. Win that first one and the rest is
tailor made. This Bama team can be really good. The butt kicking they took in the Sugar
Bowl has been nothing but a motivator. The SEC Championship game, Alabama was
ahead with 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.........................................

Bama can be good,or they can be a 2-3 loss team. Let's face it. The SEC is overall a lot weaker this year than in years past. The East is pretty much of a joke, with Florida winning by default. The West is between (IMO) 'Bama and LSU. I think Mississippi is over rated.

MICHIGAN: This program can be in real trouble now. Several current and former players have come forward and told the Detroit Free Press that Michigan basically disregarded all the rules that govern the amount of time spent on football, both during the season and off season. Five current or former players have basicallly told the same story. One more has confirmend that story. Four more tell versions slightly different, but with the same bottom line. Naturally Rodrigue and the A.D. deny this, but the evidence is pretty clear. Players were forced to sign statements stating that the rules had been followed, to avoid getting in trouble with the team.

Clover, what you hear on the flu bug going on in T'town, have they got it under control yet ??

Bamafats.....................................

It's time for me to start working on Week 2. We have about 12-14 games that we are looking at. A lot depends on what happens this week. just remember, instead of having 6 weeks to make your decision, you will have 6 days, or less. Week 1 is now complete for us, unless there is a shift in the line.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BamaFats, Cody was feeling a little poorly and a handful of others were under the weather but all will be ready this week. That's the last report I have heard.

WAKE FOREST
It's all about defense at Wake Forest, which ranked 16th in the country in total defense and scoring defense (21 PPG), and 12th against the pass (172 YPG) last season. For the Demon Deacons to get to the next level and into the black for betters (6-6 ATS), the offense is going to have to improve. Quarterback Riley Skinner is one of the most accurate passers in all of college football, but part of that is a function of head coach Jim Grobe's conservative play calling. If the offensive line steps up and actually does some blocking this season, Grobe could open things up for Skinner. Too often and at crucial times last season, Skinner was rushed out of the pocket and was forced to improvise on the fly. The fact the offense was as successful as it was is a testament to his ability to seemingly always make the right play and to avoid turnovers. The offense will return 9 starters and 5 of those are O-linemen. The defense will return only 4 starters. Nice opening game with Baylor and should be a good one.

2009 Schedule
9/5 Baylor (home)
9/12 Stanford (home)
9/19 Elon (home)
9/26 Boston College (away)
10/3 NC State (home)
10/10 Maryland (home)
10/17 Clemson (away)
10/24 Navy (away)
10/31 Miami (home)
11/7 Georgia Tech (away)
11/14 Florida St (home)
11/28 Duke (away)

*eleven straight games before a bye week.

TENNESSEE
Surprises filled the Tennessee final preseason depth chart, which UT officials confirmed Friday afternoon. Freshman Bryce Brown was listed alongside senior Montario Hardesty at tailback, while freshman Nu'Keese Richardson was listed above junior Brandon Warren at one of the two starting wide receiver positions. Redshirt freshman Montori Hughes was listed as a co-starter with senior Dan Williams at one defensive tackle, while freshman Mike Edwards was listed with sophomore Anthony Anderson at starting left cornerback, and freshman Janzen Jackson was listed with junior Dennis Rogana at a co-No. 1 free safety. Redshirt freshman Aaron Douglas was listed as a co-starter with junior Jarrod Shaw at right offensive tackle. Lots of young players for the Vols this year.

NEBRASKA
Center Christopher Niemann is out for the season after reinjuring his knee. Cornhuskers coach Doc Sadler said in a statement that the 6' 11" German tore the ACL in one of his knees.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

VANDERBILT
Head coach Bobby Johnson went with youth over experience for his starting quarterback yesterday. Johnson announced sophomore Larry Smith of Prattville, Alabama, is his starter, beating out senior Mackenzi Adams and junior Jared Funk. Smith started the Commodores' historic Music City Bowl win last December and is a former Alabama Mr. Football who led his Prattville High team to a state title. The coaches love Smith's strong arm and his poise under pressure. Smith appeared in two games last season and was 19-of-34 for 167 yards with one touchdown and one interception. That arm is what Johnson wants for his offense. In 2008, Vandy ranked 117th out of 119 Football Bowl Subdivision teams in total offense. Smith was a three year starter in high school and led Prattville to a 39-2 record. He never lost a regular season game in high school. Vandy's competition will be a little different now so let's see how the kid does.

LSU
Les Miles sounds like a big fan of Pac-10 football now. As No. 11 LSU began the final week of practice for its season opener at Washington on Saturday night, Miles had no interest in revisiting his 2007 comments about the Pac-10's strength of schedule. "The only thing I can tell you is that we're playing Washington and look forward to playing them," Miles said. "I certainly understand the experience that the Pac-10 has had, what a great conference it's been, the success that they've had, so we would expect no less from Washington." Washington was among the Pac-10 teams...Stanford and UCLA were others that Miles mockingly referred to as "real juggernauts" while criticizing Southern California's strength of schedule to a pro-LSU gathering in New Orleans in the summer of 2007. The Huskies haven't exactly prove Miles wrong. They were 0-12 in 2008.

ALABAMA
The battle with the flu bug still lingers some with the team. Backup left tackle Alfred McCullough missed his second practice Monday with the illness. Freshman defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore missed practice, too. Starting linebacker Cory Reamer and backup quarterback AJ McCarron were the latest players missing from practice presumably with the flu, while Marquis Maze returned Monday afternoon after missing Saturday's workout. Cornerback and kick returner Javier Arenas was sick for two or three days but did practice.

Head coach Nick Saban has signed a three year contract extension. Saban signed an eight year contract when he joined the program in 2007. Financial terms will be settled after the compensation committee of the Alabama board of trustees discusses the contract. Saban, 19-8 in two seasons, is due to make $3.9 million this season.

GEORGIA
Head coach Mark Richt is 34-3 vs non-conference opponents. (91%)

FLORIDA
Wide receiver Andre Debose might need surgery to correct a hamstring problem that has bothered him since practice began.

SOUTHERN CAL
Ronald Johnson, the third leading receiver for the Trojans last season, is expected to be out for six to eight weeks after breaking his collarbone during a mock game Saturday.

SYRACUSE
New quarterback Greg Paulus (transfer from Duke-basketball) is not only the starter but has been named one of the team captains.

OREGON
The Ducks are as dangerous as any team in the country, let alone the Pac-10, where the Ducks have their eyes on the conference title. Former head coach Mike Bellotti is now the athletic director, and gone is his carefree, easy going approach to the day to day operations of the football program. In is offensive coordinator Chip Kelly, who brings a much more intense attitude to the locker room. Whether or not you agree or disagree with the way he goes about his business, you can't deny he was the man in charge of college football's seventh ranked offense last season (485 YPG). The offense should be just as good this season with Jeremiah Masoli back for another year of calling plays, so there's no doubt this team is going to be right there with USC and California. The only difficulty is that last year's success breeds publicity and other teams will be well prepared for them. Great opening test against Boise State.

Glad to see you back on line Clover, what the hell is this flu bug about ? Lets get these boys well man !!!

Bamafats............

Roll Tide

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Glad to see you getting to work BDQH. I factored in a lot of what you--and everyone else--said into my week 1 plays. Haven't been posting much since I got back school due to school work and other things, but I've been sure to read up every morning. Keep it up fellas

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

SOUTH CAROLINA
Defensive tackle Kenny Davis has been suspended for the team's opening game tonight at North Carolina State. Davis was suspended for violating team rules and did not make the trip for tonight's game in Raleigh, N.C. Davis is a 6-foot-3, 287 pound redshirt freshman who is listed as the backup for senior starter Nathan Pepper. Davis is the third defensive lineman suspended for the season opener. Ladi Ajiboye is starting a three game suspension for his off season arrest, and Clifton Geathers is serving a one game suspension for fighting outside a nightclub last month.

GEORGIA
Running back Caleb King, who was beaten out for the starting job by Richard Samuel, will likely miss the No. 13 Bulldogs' season opener at ninth ranked Oklahoma State because of lingering hamstring injury. King entered preseason drills as the No. 1 tailback, but he was bothered by his ailing hamstring and fell behing both Samuel and redshirt freshman Carlton Thomas on the depth chart. Coach Richt also announced after Wednesday's practice that defensive end Kiante Tripp will likely stay at home due to a shoulder "stinger". The Bulldogs are hopeful that both players will be able to play in the home opener September 12 against South Carolina. Georgia held the first of two dress rehearsals at Sanford Stadium, practicing for 90 minutes with deafening crowd noise pumping from the speakers.

KENTUCKY
Linebacker Micah Johnson could sit out Saturday's season opener against Miami (Ohio) with a foot injury. Coach Rich Brooks said Wednesday that Johnson was unable to finish practice and that there's a chance Johnson will miss the game against the RedHawks. Fullback John Conner was able to finish practice. Conner has been hobbled by an ankle injury the last week. Brooks said he'll wait to see how the ankle responds Friday before making a decision. Johnson is the linchpin of Kentucky's defense. He finished second in tackles last season, racking up 93, including 13 for loss. If Johnson does sit out, he should be ready when the Wildcats host Louisville on September 19.

ALABAMA
Even after missing a few practices with the flu, All-American Terrence Cody has not lost enough weight to play with the "rabbit" squad used in third down passing situations. Saban set 348 pounds as the required weight for Cody, who said he was at 355 when practiced opened August 6. The speed and agility of Virginia Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor will be one of the biggest challenges for the defense. That places even more of a premium on quickness on the Tide defense, a trait for which Cody hasn't alsays been known to possess.

Receiver Julio Jones and running back Mark Ingram have been cleared by the NCAA for Saturday nights game vs Virginia Tech.

Defensive end, Brandon Deaderick who was shot Monday in a robbery attempt, practiced Wednesday and may play Saturday.

Several starters and key backups have missed time with the flu virus that has spread around the Tuscaloosa campus since classes resumed August 19. First string players Terrence Cody, Cory Reamer and Marquis Maze have missed practice time already along with back up tackle Alfred McCullough.

MARSHALL
No one can accuse Marshall of trying to ride through the schedule as unscathed as possible. After taking on eight bowl teams from the previous year in 2008, the Thundering Herd are dialing it down just a notch by playing five bowl teams from last season. In addition to a tough Conference USA schedule, Marshall is getting on the bus to line up with Virginia Tech and West Virginia this season, so hat's off to head coach Mark Snyder. Unfortunately honor doesn't cash winning betting slips, so pick your spots with the Herd. Both the offensive and defensive lines are solid, but in the case of the former they're not responsible for protecting very much. Running back Darius Marshall is a decent talent, but he gets a lot of carries because there's no one else to whom to turn. Expect defenses to hone in on Marshall, locking down the Herd in the process. Marshall was 4-7 ATS last season and may not be much better for 2009.

Georgia is really banged up for their opener against Oklahoma State. They are going to be very thin in several key areas, indluding RB, WR, and along the defense. However, you should know this. Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson is listed as somewheres between "questionable" and "probable" due to a rumor that he suffered an "undisclosed" injury in practice. Some books in Vegas have chosen to ingore the rumor, while others have chosen to take the game off the board. I contacted a close friend who runs a book at a major Vegas hotel and he told me that most of the people at the books are not real happy about this rumor, and that if proven false, they are going to do "everything in their power" to see to it that rumors like this do not interrupt the flow of action again. I think that the meaning of his message is obvious.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Thursday, September 3 Plays

131 Oregon +3 (Ducks have the better running game and defense)
132 Under 64 (Public looking for a shootout)

133 Troy -7 (Bowling Green returns only 3 on defense and must face a
team that averaged 33 PPG last season with key players back)

127 South Carolina +5 (*Lean only at this time)

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

MICHIGAN
So, the Michigan football program allegedly broke NCAA rules that limit teams to only 20 hours of practice each week. OK, So What? A 2006 study by the NCAA revealed that football players in major college programs spent more than 40 hours per week on football related activities. Sounds too much like a job, right? But why should 40 hour practice weeks present a problem when nearly every freshman hopes that his college football career will land him a job in the NFL? Isn't college all about preparing folks for the real world? I'd like to see one of the Michigan players who complained about excessive practice time do the same to a future employer...say, for instance , Patriots coach Bill Belichick and watch him laugh in their faces. Chances are that those football players in major college programs who practice 40 or even 50 hours a week, I say let them. And if I played football at Michigan, I'd probably want to be on the field as much as possible trying to improve on last season's 3-9 record.

The problem is this. Every schools does it. Michigan is so dysfunctional that their disgruntled players rat out the coach, in an attempt to get rid of him. That is what is wrong with Michigan. Good cohesive teams do not have this problem. RR is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is playing a MAC team tomorrow, and a loss may mean that he does not surive the season. Maybe RR is right in what he is doing. Maybe Michigan football turned into a day at the country club under Carr. The bottom line is that in order to survive, RR is going to have to win some games with this team. When teams have internal problems, they often are exposed on the scoreboard.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Saturday, September 5th Plays

Ohio +3.5
Georgia +6 (bou .5)
Alabama - 6 (bou .5)
Army +3.5
Toledo +10.5
Idaho +3
San Jose St +34
Mid Tenn +18.5
W. Ky +30
UAB - 5.5

Also have some plays from Challenge Contest for Muleriders.

There are some big point spread movements in Vegas this morning. Penn State goes from -27 to -29.5. Nebraska jumps up to -23.5. from 21.5. Those two are the most drastic so far.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

OLE MISS
Rebels running back Dexter McCluster spent Tuesday night in the hospital because of flu symptoms and nearly two dozen other Rebels players missed practice Tuesday as the virus continued to sweep through the team. McCluster, a versatile star for the Rebels, was released Wednesday morning but did not attend the afternoon practice. So many were out coaches moved practice up and shortened it. Still, they were shuffling the lineup all day. As many as 27 players or about 20 percent of the team are in some stage of the flu. The list includes starting quarterback Jevan Snead, McCluster and several other starters. Officials believe it is the swine flu and are following U.S. Centers for Disease Control guidelines that include isolating ill players from other members of the team and public. The flu also has swept through other athletic and the general student population with nearly 400 reporting flu like symptoms to campus health officials through Wednesday.

ALABAMA
First, he was named SEC offensive player of the week. Now running back Mark Ingram has the flu. He is the latest in the string of Tide players to come down with the illness over the past two weeks. Ingram's roommate and backup quarterback Star Jackson missed two practices with the flu before returning to the field Wednesday. Living in such close proximity likely caused the virus to jump from one roommate to the other, but it also helps in the treatment. Saban said he expects Ingram, who missed Tuesday and Wednesday practices, will be fine to play against Florida International because players have typically been OK two or three days after getting sick.

Bama's 2010 recruiting class just got another commitment. North Carolina's Alfy Hill chose Alabama over his home state Tar Heels on Wednesday morning. The defensive end is the 20th player to commit to Saban's program with two other holdovers from last year's class, bringing the total to 22. Rivals considers Hill the 10th best defensive end in the nation.

FLORIDA STATE
The battle of words between the NCAA and Florida State University President T.K. Wetherell escalated Wednesday over sanctions the school must face for an academic cheating case. In an unusual move, the NCAA issued a statement saying that Wetherell's claim of having an agreement with the NCAA on keeping student athletes out of 30 percent of the next year's games "not true." Florida State is appealing the part of its penality that would force the school to forfeit records in 10 sports, including two seasons of football. Such a sanction could take away as many as 14 wins from coach Bobby Bowden, who is the second most winning coach in major college football history. But the NCAA says the school's punishment of losing its wins is decided by a separate body, the Committee on Infractions. It's separate from the process of re-establishing eligibility for the athletes involved. "At no time was an agreement on university penalties discussed with the institution in this case of any other case," the NCAA statement read. "President Wetherell's statements confuse the process for administering institutional penalties with the process for re-establishing student athlete eligibility."

JIMMY JOHNS (former Alabama player)
A judge sentenced the former Alabama football player to a year in jail after he pleaded guilty to drug charges that prompted his dismissal from the team last year. Johns, a highly rated Mississippi recruite (Mr. Football in MS) played running back and then linebacker for the Tide. The 6-foot-2, 233 pound Johns was No. 2 on the team in rushing in both of his first two years at Alabama, but saw reduced playing time in 2007. He was arrested in Tuscaloosa in June of 2008 after undercover police said they purchased cocaine from him several times, including once in the parking lot of the football building.

This flu is getting very serious. It hit the Wisconsin campus very hard. So hard that Saturday's game against Fresno State was taken off the board, and some sources question whether or not the game will even be played. Mississippi really lucked out, getting hit on a bye week. Alabama plays Florida International this week, and is a huge favorite, but even their line has dropped from -36 to-33.5 in a day. If this flu goes unabated, it is going to make wagering a very difficult process because people are going to afraid to wager in advance, fearing that some star player on the team that they are wagering on may come down withthe flu.

You got a split last night. How bad is the ACC this year? Clemson dominates a game,but gets victimized by a trick play fake FG and a terrible fake FG of their own, which turned into a pooch punt and 6 points for Tech. Without those special teams play, Tech gets wrecked.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

USC at OHIO STATE
The last time Ohio State beat USC was in the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1974, with a
42-21 victory. The Trojans have won six straight over the Buckeyes since then, includ-
ing last year's 35-3 beating. Since 1951, Ohio State has lost to a team by double
figures and come back to play them again the next year 10 times. The Buckeyes are 9-0-1 in those games.

UCLA at TENNESSEE
The Bruins won this matchup last year 27-24, although the Vols hold a 7-5-2 record
in the series, which dates to 1965. New coach Lane Kiffin appears ready and willing
to rely upon his vaunted recruiting class to help right away. Three true freshmen com-
bined for four touchdowns in last week's win over Western Kentucky. Bryce Brown
rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown.

SOUTH at GEORGIA
The Bulldogs haven't been 0-2 since 1996. That also is the last year Georgia lost its
season opener. South Carolina has lost six of its last seven to Georgia, but the lone
win came two years ago 16-12 in Athens. Joe Cox may or may not be the Dawg's
answer at quarterback, but Georgia's defense is better than South Carolina and the
running game is better with Richard Samuel and Caleb King. Don't look for a ton of
points in this one. Run...run...run......

VANDERBILT at LSU
The Tigers lead the series 20-7-1, and all but one of Vandy's wins came before 1958.
The Commodores also won 24-21 in Nashville in 1990. Vanderbilt actually had a better
league record (4-4) last year than LSU (3-5). Problem for Vandy is stopping runners
Charles Scott and Keiland Williams......

TROY at FLORIDA
Troy is 1-9 against the Southeastern Conference, with the lone win coming at Miss
State in 2001. That's also the last year Troy played the No. 1 team in the nation.
The Trojans fell 38-7 to Miami. I'm passing on this one because the line is to high
and Florida has Tennessee up the next week.

BYU at TULANE
The Cougars have the potential to be like Utah a year ago...exhibit No. 1 of anybody
who dislikes the Bowl Championship Series. The Cougars are heavily favored to beat
Tulane, and after they face Florida State at home September 19, they don't have much
on the table until the season ending home game against Utah. Some think BYU will
be flat after last weeks big win over Oklahoma and with FSU on deck. I think the 18
is a take and they win by 30.

NOTRE DAME at MICHIGAN
Michigan has won two of the past three in this series and four of the past five at
home. Remember this, Michigan will start a true freshman at quarterback while Notre
Dame has a veteran in Jimmy Clausen. Many are predicting an upset. I think ND
wins easily. One thing going for Michigan is the speed of their defense. It should be
a fun game to watch and I'm looking forward to it.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Saturday Plays (Week 2)

Penn St -28.5
W. Va -6.5
Iowa -6
Va Tech -19
BYU -18
TCU -11
UAB -12

Locked in yesterday, will post tonight's games later.