Frist trying to attach online gambling bill to defense bill

JC

EOG Veteran
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14824615/

Online gambling to become part of defense bill?
Frist trying to piggyback credit card ban on military funding authorization

Updated: 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is trying use a bill authorizing U.S. military operations, including in Iraq and Afghanistan, to prohibit people from using credit cards to settle Internet gambling debts.

Frist, R-Tenn., and his aides have been meeting with other lawmakers and officials in both the House and Senate to get the measure attached to a compromise Defense Department authorization bill, according to a Senate GOP leadership aide.

The House passed a version of the Internet gambling measure in July, but the Senate has taken no action on similar legislation. Neither of the defense bills passed by the House and Senate mention it.

Frist is pushing for an approach that isn’t quite as sweeping as the House measure, said the leadership aide and lobbyists following the issue. All spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing negotiations.

Frist, eyeing a 2008 presidential bid, recently discussed the online gambling measure in the politically important state of Iowa. He also called it a legislative priority in a recent speech on the Senate floor.

The measure’s supporters include the National Football League as well as conservative and antigambling groups. Some banking groups are lobbying against it.

Federal officials have made recent arrests involving offshore companies operating Internet gambling sites. The Internet gambling industry is headquartered almost entirely outside the United States although many of its customers live in the U.S.

The bills authorizing defense programs are: S.2507 and H.R.5122.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
Re: Frist trying to attach online gambling bill to defense bill

WTF is going on here????? That Frist guy is for sure a snake.

This really should come as no surprise since the Republicans may not get another chance for many years and this the only way that they could possibly get this voted on.

why doesn't the American public WAKE UP.

I'm not talking about this gambling bill in particular, just all of the BS CRAP that gets pulled like this.

Even if you are 100% against gambling you should still be against this bill just out of sheer principle because of the hypocrisy. It's not about gambling, it's about the money.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Well let's hope that somebody in the senate has a spine.

For what is it worth, I am not sure they got the bills right.

The senate bill listed seems to be about making secret CIA prisons public and the House bill listed does not come up on Senate.gov

But in any case, he is a real asshole and if he becomes president, enough reason for me to move elsewhere.

-Sean

There may be little glimmer of hope since it may hit a snag in the Senate Banking Committee;even though the Committee has 11 - Reps and 9 - Dems there may not be enough time for some changes that are going to be asked for by the Dems just to hold it up.

The Defense Bills are top priority now and many Congressional Members won't want to hold them up with controversial last minute attachments.

dirty

EOG Master

The senate bill listed seems to be about making secret CIA prisons public and the House bill listed does not come up on Senate.gov

But in any case, he is a real asshole and if he becomes president, enough reason for me to move elsewhere.

-Sean

Just asking as I don't know....But why would a House Bill show up on the Senate website

-Sean

H.R.5122
Title: To authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2007 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel strengths for such fiscal year, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Hunter, Duncan [CA-52] (by request) (introduced 4/6/2006) Cosponsors (1)
Related Bills: H.RES.806, H.RES.811, S.2507, S.2766, S.2767
Latest Major Action: 9/12/2006 Conference committee actions. Status: Conference held.
House Reports: 109-452
Note: House report text with all charts and tables.

<hr> <table border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" height="182" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td>All Information (except text)</td> <td>Text of Legislation </td> <td> CRS Summary </td> <td rowspan="4">Major Congressional Actions

All Congressional Actions

All Congressional Actions with Amendments
[SIZE=-1]With links to Congressional Record pages, votes,reports[/SIZE]</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Titles </td> <td> Cosponsors (1) </td> <td>Committees </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Related Bills </td> <td>Amendments </td> <td>Related Committee Documents </td></tr><tr><td> CBO Cost Estimates</td> <td>Subjects </td><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Dirty,

When the senate is considering a bill, it ends up under active legistlation at senate.gov

From what I understand, the senate can simply vote on house bills or make their own bill and try to match it to a house bill. I believe if the latter happens, the two bills must be then merged and voted on again by both house and senate.

it seems given the time, the only way this can get through is in the exact form the house voted. If they start taking apart the bill to get it through, I dont see how they have time to merge it and both approve it again.

-Sean

sean1

EOG Dedicated

The bottom line is:

If he attaches a gambling bill to a defense bill he is a scumbag and I hope people in this country are bright enough to not elect him president.

-Sean

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Good thing there was not a hurricane, or they would have tagged it onto the disaster relief!!

This is NO NEW TACTIC. These clowns will do this ALL THE TIME. Especially with pork bills. You want some million $$ monument built in your state, just tac it onto a releif effort bill. I mean who is going to vote against disaster relief? While if you vote against it because of the pork, ALL you will be grilled with is "he voted against disaster relief" upon re-election.

Its a messed up system, and with no line item veto power, your pretty much fucked if they do this. Hopefully the banking industry can stop this from happening, as I highly doubt that poker alliance will be able to.

its hard to fucking believe the dirty shit these politcians try to do:(

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Question is what is he attaching?

Credit card block? Who cares.

Making online gambling illegal? - Big problem.

-Sean

sean1

EOG Dedicated

And also, if Frist adds this bill to a military bill who has the ability to remove it? Can any senate member make a motion to remove it from the military bill?

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Too funny!!!

Cant wait to the PARTY OF GOD MEMBERS like Dirty, Devil, Ktb Krusher and Hoffa who honor these clowns !!!!

Love it ....

dirty

EOG Master

And also, if Frist adds this bill to a military bill who has the ability to remove it? Can any senate member make a motion to remove it from the military bill?

If I am not mistaken it just has to have a hold put on it from another senator to keep it from going on... Dems did this alot last year when they were passing the Budget and spending bills for this Fiscal year.....

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Sean;
It gets into a real dubious thing. It's all "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your back"..They KNOW a military bill WILL be passed, so these scum bags will ALL flock to the trough to attach their own precious pork onto the bill. YES it can be taken out, but it often goes..If you support my pork bill, I will support your pork bill, and it ALL gets tagged on.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Does any senator from Nevada care enough to not let the pork through?

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Well,

If we all go to jail at least there will be a lot of people with whom to play poker.

-Sean

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Dirty:

If a hold is put on a military bill, ALL the people who hold it up will be accused of "holding up supplies for our troops...weakening our defense, ext ext"...That sort of thing will get HUGE negitive press, and they will normally fold.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

I thought holds can be done anonymously...

dirty

EOG Master

Dirty:

If a hold is put on a military bill, ALL the people who hold it up will be accused of "holding up supplies for our troops...weakening our defense, ext ext"...That sort of thing will get HUGE negitive press, and they will normally fold.

I agree.....I will do some digging....but I believe you can block things being added to it and it will not hold up the whole bill just what is added to it at some point. I don't know when that point is or if it has passed or even has come about. I will try to find out...

stocks

EOG Enthusiast

Last year Senator Kyl tried to attach the bill in the same manner to an anti-terrorist measure and failed.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Yep, we can only hope some senators call him an idiot on this one:

Why the hell are we adding a poker bill to a military bill.

There has to be a way a senator can get an unrelated bill tossed off an important bill.

Otherwise every senator would be building playgrounds in their states..

-Sean

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

the one thing that we have going for us, is that the banks don't want this bill, as it will be very expensive to them. the banking industry does own a lot of senators and congressmen of both parties, look how easily they had that new bankruptcy law passed.

dirty

EOG Master

They have already rejected it once in August...hope it happens again...

August 4, 2006

<!-- *** /ADDRESS ***--> <!-- *** STORY ***--> Senate Democrats derailed the fiscal 2007 Defense appropriations bill Thursday night, sparking heated floor exchanges as they demanded time to debate as many as 50 amendments after lawmakers return from their summer recess in September.
Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., chided Republicans for taking floor time for same-sex marriage and other issues and for delaying debate on the Defense spending measure until just days before their August break. At presstime, Democrats were working on a finite list of amendments they would like to introduce in September, aides said.

"I'm not going to agree on a time for final passage," Reid said. "We're not going to finish the bill tonight."

By delaying passage of the bill until September, Democrats might set the stage for another Senate debate on the war in Iraq, focusing attention on an issue they believe will hurt Republicans in the November elections.

Indeed, Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., said the minority would use additional floor time on the bill to address Iraq and other defense issues.

"None of us really feel like this is the time to discuss this," Kennedy said, stressing that the Senate should not rush to finish the massive Defense spending bill this week.

Attempts to stall the bill drew a strong rebuke from Defense Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, who was prepared to pass it Thursday night. Doing so would allow the Defense appropriations conference report to be completed before fiscal 2007 begins Oct. 1, he reasoned.

Enactment after then would force Congress to cover the military's expenses through a continuing resolution, a stopgap measure Pentagon officials are loath to have Congress consider. A CR would stall new starts on contracts and generally would temporarily make available a smaller amount of money than would otherwise be appropriated in fiscal 2007.

"We've got to get this bill passed before the end of the fiscal year," Stevens said.

"I wish we could do a lot better," he added. "I think we're going to be criticized, every one of us, for deciding to go home instead of finishing this bill."

At presstime, Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., expressed hope the Senate would keep working on the Defense bill, but he acknowledged Democrats were determined to keep debate open on it.

"There's no way to finish it" with the list of amendments Democrats are drawing up, Frist said. He indicated he would try to strike a deal with Democrats that would allow the Senate to resume consideration of the bill Sept. 5, with a final vote the next day.

Democrats remain sharply opposed to the White House's policies on Iraq, and stepped up their criticism earlier in the day during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

"Under your leadership there have been numerous errors in judgment that have led us to where we are," Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., told Rumsfeld. "We have a full-fledged insurgency and full-blown sectarian conflict in Iraq."

Although it was unclear what Iraq-related amendments Democrats are drafting to the bill, senior Democrats on the House and Senate defense and foreign relations committees agreed last weekend to call on the president to begin a phased withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of the calendar year.

Before Democrats thwarted a planned final vote on the bill, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., won, by a 96-1 vote, passage of an amendment that would require the Defense secretary to post online the details of earmarks, including the congressional districts that benefit.

Under the amendment, the posting should include the total cost of the earmark and an "assessment of the utility" of the earmark, based on whether the add-on furthers Pentagon goals.

The Senate also approved another Coburn amendment that would limit the annual military travel budget to $70 million, despite strong opposition from Stevens. It passed by voice vote, although the presiding officer initially announced erroneously that the amendment had failed.

http://governmentexecutive.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=34709&sid=21

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Yeah - the same Dems who demanded time to debate the defense bill aren't gonna be so happy with a by the way, we think poker is bad portion of the defense bill when they actually want to get a defense bill passed and get off to campaigning.

HOpefully they'll all just toss it off the bill.

-Sean

MoneyManager

EOG Enthusiast

The good news is, he may be thinking he must try this kind of backdoor action to get anything done on this because of opposition. If he is right and opposition exist that will stop this ---- maybe he is really already screwed and he is scrambling from "behind the eight ball" as a last ditch effort.

Either way I'll actively campaign against him as the leader of a cause that is "against the will" of 8 of 10 people polled. He is nobody's ruler --- he is an elected official.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Frist is gonna be shown to be a complete IDIOT.

I guarantee the democrats who know he wishes to become president will tattoo him for debating internet gambling rather than the defense bill and war in Iraq. No way are they going to let him add a totally unrelated bill to a defense bill they already blocked. The republicans need to make the concessions here to pass the defense bill, not the other way around.

Most likely his announcement today was a simple press release - we tried...

-Sean

dirty

EOG Master

Yeah - the same Dems who demanded time to debate the defense bill aren't gonna be so happy with a by the way, we think poker is bad portion of the defense bill when they actually want to get a defense bill passed and get off to campaigning.

HOpefully they'll all just toss it off the bill.

-Sean

Sean you are right...but they also have on their side that the Defense Budget passed Sept 8 by a 98-0 Vote once all the BS was trimmed off... They need to stick to their guns and say ....."Hey get rid of the Bullshit and we vote for it". They have already proven it will work that way...Let's just hope they do it...

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

That is very possible MM. However; I think the reason he did this is simply because he realizes there will be no time left in the Senate session to ever have this bill brought to the floor. This is the only way he can attempt to ram rod it through.

I think the big key to this whole thing is the banking lobby. Many of these Senators WON'T want to piss off the banking lobby as they give HUGE $$$ to their campaigns.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Sean you are right...but they also have on their side that the Defense Budget passed Sept 8 by a 98-0 Vote once all the BS was trimmed off... They need to stick to their guns and say ....."Hey get rid of the Bullshit and we vote for it". They have already proven it will work that way...Let's just hope they do it...

That's my whole point..This bill WILL pass, it's just a matter of if the garbage is tagged onto it.
I think the terrorism bill that someone mentioned had the word specifically put out by the President that you vote on my bill AS IS, or I will veto it, and why Kyle was not able to tag on his gambling bill.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Yep,

And when the options are:

Vote for a bill no one but Frist and Leach care about and piss off the bankers, block a defense bill, and give Frist a campaign to run on.

Or

Delete this BS from a military bill, pass a defense bill, go on vacation and campaign, I can tell you what will happen.

-Sean

sean1

EOG Dedicated

If Frist felt he could pass this bill, he would not have issued a press release saying he is trying. He would simply pass it and then announce...

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Remember - this same group has been debating port security for 8 days now.

The defense bill is a much bigger issue than port security.

YOu think they want this bullshit involved?

-Sean

Don't panic guys...

There is no way of knowing whether this bill will pass because whenever changes are made, (which they are now claiming would be done), there is usually lengthy debates as to how to please everyone...

I still don't believe the bill will pass, but as I stated yesterday, this is even more of a reason for us to work together with the Poker alliance and urge them to repeat the phonathon next week...

I have emailed someone from the Poker Players alliance and have already received a reply back...

We have got to work together to stop this and that means getting all of your Friends and Family to CALL YOUR SENATORS...

Let's not be complacent...

Your voice does matter, imho....

THE SHRINK

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Shrink -

Could you arrange a phoneathon to Frist's office - maybe friday.

Basically phone calls saying:

If you bring this bill up, and then run for presidency, I will vote against you, all my friends will vote against you, and eog, therx, mw, SBR, etc etc will actively campaign against your candidacy.

He may actually care about votes if he realizes it will cost him 100,000s.

Between these 4 sites, a ton of people can be made aware.

-Sean

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

Good idea Sean!!!! I'm all for that!!! I'm all steamed up over that worthless POS!!!