What's A Philadelphia Phillie?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
0 - 0 Phils and Red Sox, top of 6. Putting in 5 inning score made me wonder, what is a Phillie? Anybody know?

The Devil

EOG Master
ZZ, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE ANSWER......BUT I DO KNOW MOST OF THE ORIGINAL CIGAR MAKERS WERE FROM THE CONESTOGA VALLEY IN PENN.....PHILLIES (AND THEY WERE VERY POPULAR) WERE MADE THERE I BELIEVE SO ITS POSSIBLE THATS WHERE THE NAME CAME FROM......

The Devil

EOG Master
IS THAT THE CORRECT ANSWER??? DID THEY TAKE THE NAME FROM THE CIGAR??? MINE WAS ONLY AN EDUCATED GUESS....

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
looks like we were wrong:

No one could have realized it at the time, but when the Phillies were formed in 1883, history was in the making. Now, as the 21st century begins, the Phillies are the oldest, continuous, one-name, one-city franchise in all of professional sports.

The original Phillies began when the Worcester Ruby Legs were disbanded and the franchise was moved by the National League to Philadelphia. Al Reach, who in 1866 had become the first professional baseball player and was later a successful sporting goods dealer, became the Phillies first owner along with attorney John Rogers. Reach named the team the Phillies, a take-off on the team's geographic roots, "Philly."

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Thank you both ....Lawrence and Devil!:+thumbs-2 That's not politically correct anymore-I think they should change their name to the Philadelphia Scrapples!:+thumbs-2

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Lawrence said:
looks like we were wrong:

No one could have realized it at the time, but when the Phillies were formed in 1883, history was in the making. Now, as the 21st century begins, the Phillies are the oldest, continuous, one-name, one-city franchise in all of professional sports.

The original Phillies began when the Worcester Ruby Legs were disbanded and the franchise was moved by the National League to Philadelphia. Al Reach, who in 1866 had become the first professional baseball player and was later a successful sporting goods dealer, became the Phillies first owner along with attorney John Rogers. Reach named the team the Phillies, a take-off on the team's geographic roots, "Philly."
Wow! Good job Lawrence! Maybe the cigars were named after the team! LOL!

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
The Devil said:
Damn....so close....like screaming out Bingo!!!!! Only to realize you still need O 71.............
Why do they need to call out the letters in Bingo?:+clueless

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
jimmythegreek said:
Because the fat lady lost her voice at the Keno table :eek:
Do you remember when keno writing was an art? Sideways, up and downs, criss-crosses - looked liked crossword puzzles!:+thumbs-2 Before these damn computers.:(

Reactions: WYM

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
jimmythegreek said:
Because the fat lady lost her voice at the Keno table :eek:
Jimmy: Do you remember the name of the restaurant where you gave your famous testimonial on black athletes? Anyone?:+clueless

ZZ CREAM said:
Jimmy: Do you remember the name of the restaurant where you gave your famous testimonial on black athletes? Anyone?:+clueless

[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]On Jan. 15, 1988, Rather himself aired video shot that afternoon at Duke Zeibert's restaurant in Washington, D.C., featuring Snyder explaining why he thought African-Americans excelled in sports. [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"The black is the better athlete," The Greek said. "And he practices to be the better athlete, and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started." [/FONT]

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Dawg Pound said:
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]On Jan. 15, 1988, Rather himself aired video shot that afternoon at Duke Zeibert's restaurant in Washington, D.C., featuring Snyder explaining why he thought African-Americans excelled in sports. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"The black is the better athlete," The Greek said. "And he practices to be the better athlete, and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started." [/FONT]

RIP Duke and Jimmy!:+thumbs-2 :+thumbs-2

The Devil

EOG Master
JIMMY THE GREEK WAS ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS BACK IN THE 80'S ALONG WITH PETE AX.....ALWAYS BEGGED FOR AN EXTRA HALF POINT AND WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TO COLLECT FROM HIM......

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
The Devil said:
JIMMY THE GREEK WAS ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS BACK IN THE 80'S ALONG WITH PETE AX.....ALWAYS BEGGED FOR AN EXTRA HALF POINT AND WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TO COLLECT FROM HIM......
Never met Ax but was very sad when he passed. Did he have a figure with you D when he went? He had a great story about taking the train to Bowie in the wintertime. RIP Pete!

The Devil

EOG Master
ZZ, Pete Axthelm was a good friend of my partners and then we became friends....went to Gulfstream a few times with him....he loved his Dolphins....he actually wrote a story about us in Newsweek magazine (I think in 81) titled the summer of a bookmakers discontent.....a story about two bookies with nothing to do because of the baseball strike.....he was a good guy but cancer got him much too early.....