RIP Lee Elder….

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
... I remember when Lee trevino wasn't even wanted there, times sure change.
No, it was the other way around.
Trevino hated the Augusta course:

After his fourth round at Augusta National in the 1969 US Masters, Lee Trevino said:

“Don’t talk to me about the Masters. I’m never going to play there again. They can invite me all they want, but I’m not going back. It’s just not my type of course.”

Trevino felt the course didn’t suit his prevailing shot shape – the low-trajectory hard-fade with bite. And e could make a case: Dr Alister Mackenzie had designed the course around Bobby Jones’s high draw. (Think 11, think 13.)

Trevino also didn’t feel comfortable in the posh, ‘country club’ atmosphere of Augusta National. He put his golf shoes on in the car park. He rarely went into the clubhouse. He boycotted ’70 and ’71. He was talked into playing again by Nicklaus in ’72 and ’73. Boycotted ’74. Was talked around again...

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
After his fourth round at Augusta National in the 1969 US Masters, Lee Trevino said:
“Don’t talk to me about the Masters. I’m never going to play there again. It’s just not my type of course.”

Trevino felt the course didn’t suit his prevailing shot shape – the low-trajectory hard-fade with bite. And e could make a case: Dr Alister Mackenzie had designed the course around Bobby Jones’s high draw. (Think 11, think 13.)
Prevailing shot shape was the reason why Trevino thrived at Glen Abbey in Canada for many years while Tom Watson,
who loved to draw, was outstanding at Augusta National but never came to Glen Abbey in Canada because
it favoured players who could fade the ball like Nicklaus, Trevino, and Greg Norman. Seve Ballesteros was another who could
draw at Augusta and win, but never competed at Glen Abbey with any success.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was attending Northwestern University when LaMarr Hoyt pitched against the Orioles in a day playoff game on the road at Memorial Stadium.

Hoyt threw a complete-game five-hitter in a 2-1 White Sox victory.

The year was 1983.

Hoyt was great until he wasn't.

He had drug issues which submarined his career.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Just looked it up.

The ALCS was only a Best-of-5 series in 1983.

Yuk!

Tony LaRussa decided to save Hoyt for Game 5 of the series instead of pitching him on short rest in a must-win Game 4.

Whoops!

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Just looked it up.

The ALCS was only a Best-of-5 series in 1983.

Yuk!

Tony LaRussa decided to save Hoyt for Game 5 of the series instead of pitching him on short rest in a must-win Game 4.

Whoops!
JK, have to disagree with the Whoops here. LaRussa pitched Brit Burns in game 4. Burns was a very good pitcher that year.
After 9 innings in game 4 Burns had given up zero runs. Can't ask for more then that. The problem was the White Sox had scored zero runs. Yes, the game was scoreless after 9 innings.

LaRussa's mistake was you could see Burns was totally out of gas in the 9th inning. LaRussa brought back Burns in the 10th and Tito Landrum hit a solo homer with one out. Burns then was pulled and the bullpen gave up two more runs and the W Sox lost 3-0.

i watched the game in a bar in Melrose Park after working on the backstretch that day at Maywood Park. Remember it well.