Market v. CFB Computer Rankings

Heim

EOG Master
I found it amusing that Oregon ranked #3 in the latest playoff rankings
opened a 3 point dog, and now 3.5 at some shops versus Utes.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
A few days ago, I saw a similar tweet. My response went like "The simplest analysis is Oregon and Utah's Sagarin predictor is almost the same, so give Utah 3 points HFA and voila.

OTOH, beware of rankings done by a bunch of goofballs.

railbird

EOG Master
the utards gave up 42 the beavers, 29 to the offensively inept arizona wildcats. and 33 to offensively inept sandiego state

Heim

EOG Master
This is a hard game to figure out.

Both respective programs (style) have changed.

Utah, defense not as good, offense averaging 30+

Oregon complete opposite. They actually defend now,

kane

EOG master
This is a hard game to capp.

Both respective programs (style) have changed.

Utah, defense not as good, offense averaging 30+

Oregon complete opposite. They actually defend now,
No play for me, but I have a future on Cincinnati, so I need a Duck loss somewhere along the line, tonight would be a good time for it to happen

blueline

EOG Master
I jumped on the Utah wagon before the season to win the conference....ticket looked dead a few games in.

Hope the refs dont tilt it to try to get a pac 12 team to the playoffs

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
oregon is better on all 3 sides of the ball, cristobal a very underrated coach.

All three phases of the game.

Only two sides of the ball, offense and defense.

I view punt and kickoff returns as part of the offense, punt and kickoff coverages as part of the defense.

But I get your point, Birdie.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I found it amusing that Oregon ranked #3 in the latest playoff rankings
opened a 3 point dog, and now 3.5 at some shops versus Utes.

It's the difference between achievement (CFP poll) and performance (Sagarin numbers).

Just like high school.

Achievement is your grade point average while performance is your test score.

Give me the student with the high test score every time over the phony GPA suck-up.

Last edited:

railbird

EOG Master

I view punt and kickoff returns as part of the offense, punt and kickoff coverages as part of the defense.

special teams is a side

cheapseats

EOG Master

Staley referred to the "3rd side" tonight after the Charger win as the fan base.

blueline

EOG Master
I jumped on the Utah wagon before the season to win the conference....ticket looked dead a few games in.

Hope the refs dont tilt it to try to get a pac 12 team to the playoffs

sometimes luck smiles upon you...from a dead ticket to an easy winner

I bet the Utah ov8.5 wins early on based on a few podcasts that were saying going in hard on this with two fistfuls of cash. Sure looked dead when they couldn't beat SDSU and even worse when the Beavers ran up and down the field on them. Somehow got there and this Utah team finally looks as good as some were advertising preseason. I think I'll take them with the points in the Rose Bowl, the program is absolutely jacked for this and either OSU or Michigan are going to feel so letdown to be there and treat it like a nice vacation.

kane

EOG master
Seems like the Utes turned the corner when Brewer left the program, Rising took over and the team took off, it helps that they have the best coach in the conference, and it isn't close. You also make an excellent point about which team will want to be there and which won't, I think this is Utah's first Rose Bowl appearance, and they'll be playing a team that had bigger goals, not that the Rose Bowl isn't a good consolation, but like you said, it might not be easy to get OSU or Michigan motivated in a game that probably means more to their opponent

blueline

EOG Master
I made my bet thinking utah was a QB away from being really good and they brought in Brewer......watching the holy war brewer looked lost and disinterested and I thought my bet was toast

blueline

EOG Master
Utah will be jacked sky-high for the rose bowl...its obviously not what OSU wants but its still the rose bowl ...the OSU qb is from out there..for me hard to quantify the letdown..I wouldnt lay the points with OSU........how does Oregon get up for its bowl game

Seems like the Utes turned the corner when Brewer left the program, Rising took over and the team took off, it helps that they have the best coach in the conference, and it isn't close. You also make an excellent point about which team will want to be there and which won't, I think this is Utah's first Rose Bowl appearance, and they'll be playing a team that had bigger goals, not that the Rose Bowl isn't a good consolation, but like you said, it might not be easy to get OSU or Michigan motivated in a game that probably means more to their opponent

Utes only been in the conference about a decade so yeah its going to be their first compared to OSU having gone countless times. OSU will still get a good contingent of fans because it is still a winter trip to Pasadena, but I could see a lot of their fans having some kind of apathy about going since most have already gone in recent years. I think apathy in general is what I'd expect from OSU, its not like a spot where they say lets go run up the score to prove we deserved better, they know why they aren't in the spot they want to be in and there is nothing prove here. Talent wise they should win easily, but this really smells like a potential upset because of motivation. I'll probably put a good portion of my bet on the money line here as well.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
West coast OSU alum can have it. Pass here. I think OSU is a great match up for Utah. Very physical lines. Line em up and smash it isn’t anything OSU wants to face