Indy 500

I emailed Pinny and they will have odds on the Indy 500 postedthe week before the race.I will try to stay on top of this as much as possible and try to find the vslue for EOG members.This may be real good.

General:
I will be up there most of the month so we will see what developes.The Penske cars will be tough as will Dan Weldon but I gotta pull for my girl.It is not if but when she wins and thre IRL will never be the same.I predict in 3-5 years she will make the jump to Nascar in the biggest marketing coup in Racing history.She really is that good in good equipment.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I predict if you are correct, she will not do well in NASCAR

I predict if you are correct, she will not do well in NASCAR

Penske drivers fastest at Indy's first practice day

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway welcomed veteran drivers to the track today with Team Penske drivers Sam Hornish Jr. and Helio Castroneves taking four of the top-five positions on the speed chart. Both Penske drivers spent time in their primary and back up machines with Hornish topping the chart by 0.1259 seconds over his teammate. Hornish's best lap, at 224.811, came while driving his back up car. Castroneves' best lap of 224.106 mph was also set in a back up car.

"We wanted to be sure we got out with both cars today because we knew there was a possibility of rain," said Hornish. "The forecast doesn't look good for the rest of the week. We wanted to make sure we had a good feeling on both cars. To have both cars in the top five and Helio and I one-two, that's a pretty good day."

Practice was shortened by an hour due to rain.

After two days of practice for the freshman class, the day opened with four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Rick Mears waving the green flag for a ceremonial lap by the six winners entered in this year's race. Once Castroneves, Buddy Lazier, Eddie Cheever, Al Unser Jr., Buddy Rice and Dan Wheldon completed the ceremonial lap, it was strictly business as Castroneves turned in a lap at 223.187 mph minutes into the practice session.

"We feel really comfortable, not only today, but three weeks ago when we tested here," said Castroneves. "Right now, it's just a matter of getting your rhythm back, getting your self comfortable, which we are so far, and continue doing a good job."

Castroneves and Wheldon traded the top spot on the speed chart three times in the first thirty minutes before both Penske drivers reported to the pits.

Wheldon ended the day third fastest, running his best lap of 223.916 mph on his ninth tour of the circuit. Wheldon used only his primary car today, completing a total of 27 laps before rain forced IRL officials to close the track.

"We got everything done today that we wanted to, and as a result we have a really good baseline to work with," reported Wheldon. "Now it's going to be a cat-and-mouse game with the weather leading up to qualifying."

Wheldon's teammate Scott Dixon recorded 33 laps today, narrowly missing Wheldon's time by 0.022 seconds. Despite the fast lap, Dixon said his car had a lot of room for improvement. "The team made some big changes this to the car this afternoon and then it started to feel pretty decent," he said. "But then the rain came so we didn't get to run on it as much as I would have liked. I think what today reinforced was that our main competition will once again be the two Penske cars."

Driving their primary cars, Hornish and Castroneves were listed fifth and sixth on the speed chart with laps at 223.717 mph and 223.388 mph, respectively.

Tomas Scheckter was fast out of the box today, setting his best lap on his tenth lap of the historic oval. Schecker, the fifth fastest driver on the speed chart, was the final driver to crack the 233 mph barrier with a lap at 223.183 mph. "The car went out and was pretty quick, but it got a little bit windy at the end, so I think like everybody, we set our quickest times early on."

Out of the five-car Andretti Green Racing stable only Bryan Herta broke the 222 mph barrier after posting a lap at 222.414 mph. Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti and Dario Franchitti ran similar speeds, with all three drivers turning laps with 0.0283 seconds of each other.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=217153

Thursdays top speeds
1.Hornish Penske 226.789 total of 82 laps ran
2.Weldon Ganassi 226.088 total of 128 laps ran
3.Castroneves Penkse 225.547 total of 23 laps ram
15.Danica Patrick Rahal 223.084 total of 154 laps ran and this was in race trim.
Look for everybody to be in qualifting trim tomorrow as Saturday is Pole day.Watch close for tomorrows times it will probably tell the Pole day story.
Extra: Michael Andretti also in race trin today for 164 laps at 223.187
Looks like race spped will be in the 221-223 speeds and qualifying at high 227 or 228 depending on track conditions.More later.

Hornish top speed was a 4 lap qualifiying trim run for speed only.You will see much higher speeds from a lot of people today.Look for quite a few 226plus.

With a complete washout today everybody that set up for qualifying runs yesterday will have a hugh advantage tomorrow.I would have to guess the Penske cars will be right at the front unless somebody really had the sand bags out.Usually eveybody sets up to qualify on Friday but the Penske boys must have looked at the weather forcast as they did a lot of qualifying work yesterday.Some teams are way behind and it will be pressure packed to get in the race.

Now with day 1 qualifying washed out it will scramble the field for sure.Everybody is going to be trying to post a time to get in.With so many cars entered it will be interesting.I still think a 227-228 Penske car.Really not sure as there are a bunch of cars that have not run a lap in qualifying trim.Early practice Sunday will really tell the tail.If you do not have it Sunday morning its going to be hard to find it by 6:00PM.

Well now its next Saturday for qualifying.Everybody should be relieved and well tested in both qualifying trim and race trim so you will see who has the best cars on Saturday.Then only fate and luck remain to get the winner.

well really interested to see what happens wednesday/thursday

but right now

Helio my pick .... hornish has never finished that worries me...
Dixon my 2nd pick

I have to agree Indy.If I had to rank them now before Wed/Thur practice Helio,Hornish if he can finish but do not count out Weldon.One must remember most of these cars are very equal.I agree team green is terrible unless they find a rabbit in the garage.As for my Team Rahal we are a little short on speed but today will tell.The cars will race OK but qualifying will be another story unless something appears unexpected.Everybody post their longshot.

Agree on Meira.Looks like Penske all the way unless Weldon gets in there.Rahal cars are not going to qualify good but should race OK.Danica probably gets in the top 10 with a little luck.

So far Hornish or pole with high 228.Danica in 9th with high 224.I had the speeds right on a week ago.Now just how do I get the winner.Looks like a Penske car right now.Got to find a couple of middle pack long shots also.

Well as I said last week Penske cars on front row in the 228's and Danica at 10th.If predictions paid off I would be a millionaire.Also Meira had a great qualifying time for a single car team and is definitely a long shot pick.It looks if the Penske cars do not have mechanical problems they will be very hard to beat.

If you can find a place get down on the Penske cars.I do not see anyone beating them unless they just make a mistake or get caught up ib a crash.They are the class of the field.Someone will have to use an off the wall pit stradegy to beat these guys.We have already made preperations to do just that is possible but the race dictates what you can do.Pull for us even if you bet on someone else.Danica says hello and thanks to all for support.

CYOGURU

EOG Enthusiast
Pine, IndySports and I are open to meeting you for lunch this week if you have time to talk about the Greatest Race in the World. I grew up going to the track. My favorite weekend of the year.

I have flown home for a couple of days.Back for carburation day.I will check my schedule and see if I can get free.If I can I will post and let you know.Usually really busy right before the race with all the media attention.We are all worn out now and need a day or to.I never realized until I volunteered for this how much time it really takes to get ready.It is a 3 ring circus for the whole month of May.By the way Hornish was slightly hurt in the crash in practice today.Ankle and wrist bruised pretty bad.Car was torn up.

OK Guys lets get the Indy picks up.Looks like Bodog will have odds.Anybody seen any other book with Indy odds.I saw Danica at 2000.Probably not a good shot but I will have a small piece at 2000.
Helio and Hornish and Weldon would be my 3 easy favorites to pick.Long shots are Vitor Meira,Schecter and Danica.I do not think Little Al or Michael Andreitti can get it done.Kannan possible but would take luck.I will post again when I can get thru all my info after Friday.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
Lines are up at Olympic. Already took Sam Hornish +400 and Scott Dixon +1000. Won last year when I took Wheldon. I'll see what happens this time around. Seen nothing up at Pinny yet.

Just saw the final lines at Bodog.They are pitiful.The worst xar in the field is only 62-1.What a joke.Top 3 are all about 3-1 another joke.No value at all.Only prop I have seen is Danica to finish in top 8 at 7-2.She is 9-4 to not finish.Worst odds I have ever seen on a racing event.They have no control overthe outcome thus they are afraid to put up any fair numbers.Hornish fastest today with 220 plus.All cars were in race trim and everybody was very close to the best.No risks taken today.Well now to get ready for Sunday.There is probably nothing in motor sports as exciting as the start of the Indy 500.Danica says high again to everyone on the EOG.Wish her luck on Sunday.

CYOGURU

EOG Enthusiast
Reno Paul said:
Lines are up at Olympic. Already took Sam Hornish +400 and Scott Dixon +1000. Won last year when I took Wheldon. I'll see what happens this time around. Seen nothing up at Pinny yet.

I agree Dixon has value at 10-1. I agree Pine the lines suck.

Thanks for the invite but will definitely be tied up from now until the race is over and done.Consulting is sometimes a demanding business.

Just got a chance to look at Pinny's lines on the race.
Heres what I think for what its worth.
Castronevies +310 No value Can Win
Hornish +348 No value Can Win
Dan Weldon +424 Slight value Can Win
Kannan +881 Slight value Need a break to win
Dixon + 1123 Great value No mistakes to win
Franchitti +2202 Slight value Luck only to win
Patrick + 1892 Reasonable value Perfect race with no mistsakes and luck
Miera + 1712 Reasonable value Single car team.Tough to win but possible.Rising star.

Well thats my take for what its worth and that is probably not much.Predicting the Indy 500 is 50 times harder than the Kentucky Derby.Horses do not make pit stops.Good luck all.Back after the race.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
Hey Al! How about Scott Sharp's chances @+2727? Came in second on Friday's practice and starts on the fourth row. I see value here.

Reno: If you go to the race look for me I will be in Danica's pit area.I will have on a red,white and blue cap.Where are your seats?

rgm

EOG Senior Member
Team Penske has dominated this month with Hornish being only slightly better than Helio. Hornish has edge. Weldon & Dixon only threats.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
Final plays......

Sam Hornish Jr. +400
Scott Dixon +1000
Scott Sharp +2727

Let's have a good day of racing.

Well what a race.I still can not breath.Nobody saw the Andretti team having a chance an they should have won.Congrats to everybody who had Hornish.If Andretti blocks Hornish he does not win but he drove him clean.Danica happy with 8th after getting a bad break on the final yellow after just pitting.Really had about an 8th place car.Thats a 4th and an 8th in 2 starts.No bad for a girl.She says to tell everyone thanks for the support.