My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Miami v Dallas.

It's the best of the East against the best of the West to determine the best of the best.

The 2011 NBA Finals features LeBron James squaring off against Dirk Nowitzki. Or better yet, King James battling the Big German. A fascinating match-up between two of the most physically-gifted athletes in the league with both players searching for their first-ever NBA title.

The 32-year-old Nowitzki, a 13-year NBA vet, hopes to make amends for a missed opportunity in 2006 when the Mavericks, the only NBA team for which Dirk has played, failed to win the NBA title against Miami after leading the series, 2-0, and holding a 13-point lead midway through the fourth quarter of Game 3.

LeBron James, age 26, is as hungry as Dirk. Before his eighth NBA season, James abandoned his hometown Cavs to infamously "take his talents to South Beach" and join forces with Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh in promising to win "not one NBA championship, but five, six, seven..."

Credit Miami and Dallas for arriving at the NBA Finals in emphatic style. The Heat and Mavs displayed poise and teamwork in eliminating the Bulls and Thunder, a pair of hard-trying opponents but ones that finished a combined 2-8 in the Conference Finals. Chicago failed offensively while Oklahoma City faltered defensively. Both teams appear a year away and a player away.

On the surface, the series price on Miami (-175) looks short. However, the health of Dwayne Wade (back and shoulder issues) remains a concern. The high-flying Wade is a reckless player at times who must understand his short-term decisions have long-term consequences.

I have not bet Game 1 or the series price and I doubt I'll make a move before tipoff Tuesday night. In Game 2, Miami is also a five-point favorite, while the Game 3 price (available at Lucky's locations here in Nevada) shows Dallas a 3.5-point choice.

FOOTBALL CONTEST IDEA.....EOG contributor "thefixisin" suggested a football handicapping contest in which gamblers are paired in two-person teams or grouped in four-person teams, similar to a golf "scramble," the primary form of tournament play for golf associations, charity events and the like.

Initially, I liked the idea. On second thought, I'm having reservations.

By nature, I'm a loner and I'm definitely a gambling loner. I rarely gamble as part of a team or group.

I love thinking independently and I like to promote the concept of collective wisdom, but I detest the idea of consensus opinion.

GAMBLING ALERT.....Ideal situation for shrewd MLB gamblers today. Play "OVER" 13 runs in the game between the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros at Wrigley Field. First pitch is 1:10 Central time. Also play "OVER" 131 runs in the total number of MLB runs ("Grand Salami") on Memorial Day. Bet closes shortly after noon Central.

Huge warming trend hit the Midwest today. Yesterday at Wrigley Field, it felt like Manitoba. Today, it feels like South Beach.

COMING FRIDAY.....A look at the worst team in MLB...the Minnesota Twins.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Re: My Monday blog

Good observation, JK...here in Detroit, the temps will touch 90, with the 3 H's....HAZY, HOT & HUMID!

Thanks Keith.

What's more: no 1-0 or 2-1 late-night West Coast baseball games today.

JK, I actually like Dodger game Under for first five innings--should be shadows at Chavez Ravine for 5 p.m. start. Hopefully Rocky fans won't be wearing any team logos!

BigDaddy

EOG Master

how many HR's do they hit today?

thanks for the read jk

Houston Astros at Chicago Cubs ? 1:20 PM CDT - Wrigley Field
Wind:
From SSW
18 mph Time: 1 pm 2 pm 3 pm 4 pm 5 pm 6 pm 7 pm 8 pm 9 pm
Temp: 85? F 86? F 87? F 87? F 86? F 85? F 83?F 81?F 78?F
Condition: Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Partly Cloudy
Precip%: 10% 10% 10% 10% 10% 10% 0% 0% 10%

On contests, I may have been out of the loop, but are you going to bring back the Stardust Invitational/Money Talks type format in an online version on EOG -- like as a special in-season Winning Wednesdays (or Fridays) feature -- if there's not another book sponsor for an LV radio broadcast version?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

On contests, I may have been out of the loop, but are you going to bring back the Stardust Invitational/Money Talks type format in an online version on EOG -- like as a special in-season Winning Wednesdays (or Fridays) feature -- if there's not another book sponsor for an LV radio broadcast version?

Thanks for asking, Squarepants.

The idea is currently under consideration.

Right now, Database Error is the roadblock.

cheapseats

EOG Master

You could have a division with singles and a blind draw for twosomes. Play a front 9, back 9 and total. So, say, each week is a hole, and then allocate the pot along the lines of 35% for the singles, and 20, 20 and 25 percent on the twosome play. JM2C

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

You could have a division with singles and a blind draw for twosomes. Play a front 9, back 9 and total. So, say, each week is a hole, and then allocate the pot along the lines of 35% for the singles, and 20, 20 and 25 percent on the twosome play. JM2C

Creative format and I like the abbreviation for just my two cents.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

GAMBLING ALERT.....Ideal situation for shrewd MLB gamblers today. Play "OVER" 13 runs in the game between the Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros at Wrigley Field. First pitch is 1:10 Central time. Also play "OVER" 131 runs in the total number of MLB runs ("Grand Salami") on Memorial Day. Bet closes shortly after noon Central.

Huge warming trend hit the Midwest today. Yesterday at Wrigley Field, it felt like Manitoba. Today, it feels like South Beach.

JK, sharp and productive angle.......that cashed.

The entire board thanks you.l

brians

EOG Dedicated

Damnit ... missed the play, missed the opportunity to root for an over, missed the opportunity to win an easy cover. Nice call nonetheless.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks Brian.

Sorry you missed today's plays.

Everything came together beautifully.

First time this season the umpires wore short sleeves at Wrigley Field.