Milton Bradley vs. Jeff Kent: Race War in L.A?

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
<TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Bradley: Kent doesn't understand black players

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10></TD><TD width=440><!-- search:</noindex> -->LOS ANGELES (AP) - Milton Bradley accused Los Angeles Dodgers teammate Jeff Kent of a lack of leadership and an inability to deal with black players.

Bradley's remarks before Tuesday's game against Colorado came only a couple of minutes after he said that the feud between the two that became public last weekend in Florida was a "dead issue."

"The problem is, he doesn't know how to deal with African-American people," Bradley said. "I think that's what's causing everything. It's a pattern of things that have been said - things said off the cuff that I don't interpret as funny. It may be funny to him, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley. But I don't take offense to that because we all joke about race in here. Race is an issue with everything we do in here.

<TABLE class=emailBoothFields style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=210 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"Me being an African-American is the most important thing to me - more important than baseball," said the 27-year-old center fielder, whose voice never went beyond his normal speaking level. "White people never want to see race - with anything. But there's race involved in baseball. That's why there's less than 9 percent African-American representation in the game. I'm one of the few African-Americans that starts here."

Bradley did not like what Kent said to him after Bradley failed to score from first base on a double in Saturday's victory over the Marlins. Bradley initiated a 25-minute closed-door meeting with manager Jim Tracy after that game.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=434 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"I was told in spring training I was the team leader by Paul DePodesta. By Jim Tracy. By Frank McCourt," Bradley said of the Dodgers' general manager, manager and owner. "Growing up in LA, I know how to deal with all types of people, and I do it on an everyday basis. But some people don't deal with all different types of people every day, and therefore don't know how to handle situations when they arise."

Bradley accused the media of coming to his locker first Tuesday because he is black. Kent had not yet arrived at his locker.

"At no time am I going to let somebody question my hustle, my injury or question my motivation for playing," Bradley said. "I watch him on the field, and I follow in his footsteps and the things he does on the field. As far as off the field, he has no clue about leadership.

"If you're going to be the leader of the team, then the need to mingle with the team and associate with the team. I mean, you can't have your locker in the corner, put your headphones in and sit in the corner reading a motocross magazine. He's in his own world. Everybody else is in this world."

Kent, a former NL MVP who feuded with Barry Bonds in San Francisco, defended himself following Bradley's accusations. "He can go ahead and say those types of things, and it comes from an incident that he still doesn't get. And that's a shame," Kent said. "If you think that I've got a problem with African-Americans, then go talk to Dusty Baker. Go talk to Dave Winfield, who took me under his wing. Go talk to Joe Carter - all the guys that I idolized in this game and all the veteran players who taught me how to play this game. "That's a shame, and I take offense to that. That's just absolutely pathetic if it comes from his mouth."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any clue as to what Kent might have said that offended Bradley?Does anyone think that racism is or isn't a part of sports especially Baseball?

Kent always seems to be in some chit with his teammates .... remember Barry Bonds beat his azz in the dugout a few years ago.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
it's weird because both players have had a history of being difficult at times...I hate it when people cry racism for no reason, but atthe same time I realize it does exist and I wouldntput it past Kent...

Most black players are known loafers and are lazy

Kent did the right thing here

Kent is an American Hero and every little leaguer should model his game around him.

Stickie

EOG Senior Member
jjgold said:

Kent is an American Hero and every little leaguer should model his game around him.

There's the JJ I am used to. Not the imposter posting here the last few days.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
jjgold said:

A hero ain't nuthin but a sandwich

If I had a Son I would want him to be like Jeff and not me.

Jeff called about Bonds right in the dugout a few years back to and wanted to fight him

I love Jeff Kent and he is a Hall of Famer and what he says is 100% about Bradley and anything else he beleives in.

If you do not like Jeff Kent your not a real American.

Good Luck

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
jjgold said:

Just as many white loafers as are black loafers percentage wise. Do not lump everyone together, please! That would be like me saying everyone that starts their handle with repeating letters is an idiot- well , maybe that is true, but you get my point!

Last edited:
Yes Sir

Many white guys are loafers and dogs too

Kelsy.......I am on edge............I have a very large wager tonight

jjgold said:
Yes Sir

Many white guys are loafers and dogs too

Kelsy.......I am on edge............I have a very large wager tonight

Care to share the side Coach? BTW great call on the Cubs last night, I didn't get back with you cuz I thought you might go to bed early for your beauty sleep.cocktail

Bradley has always been trouble. The Indians dumped him for nothing. He once called a Black reporter an Uncle Tom. The reporter was mad and an argument ensued. The whole thing was caught on tape but the Dodgers forced the reporter to erase the tape before leaving the clubhouse. If Bradley has a problem with Kent he should tell exactly what was said instead of making a blanket statement.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Raiders, good point...the way I see it anytime there is a beef between teamated, it should never be played out through the media...these guys look like females airing out their dirty laundry...real men squash it between themselves...

David Matthews

EOG Enthusiast
If a guy can have an ERA under 3.5 or a batting average over .300 in the majors, he'll be on a team no matter whether he's white, black, or green. Bradley's insinuation that the 9% blacks in the MLB is a sign of racism is preposterous. Some of the highest paid players in the league are either black or latin.

Incidentally, the NBA is about 90% black. Is that a sign of racism in the NBA?

The funny thing is this is barely a story out here. The local radio talked about it some today, but ONLY because it has been lastered all over the nation.

Like it or not racism is still pretty rampant in this country. But because of the "forward" movement racism is a little harder to define nowadays. To be rascism it now has to be a pretty blatant stance. A white guy seeing a couple black kids with colors on walking down your side of the street and switching sides might not be considered a rascist move, but in fact it is. Regardless of his feelings he has a preconceived and historical perspective to look at, and coupling that with his social background and history he makes a decsion.

Basically everyone has racial tendancy, black, white, hispanic, asian. They might not be RASCIST but racially motivated. You can't be another race. You have to take what you know and use thatto figure it all out.

I know some black guys that are whiter (in thier actions and demeanor) than me (and yes that is probably a racist statement), they make a hell of a lot of money, they live in multi million dollar homes, drive 6 figure automobiles, basically live the American dram. But outside of the neighborhood or on a street somewhere they are still black. In the anonomous world we live in they are just another black person, crass and unfeeling, but that is the way it is.

That is unfortuantely the world we live in. Made even worse 4 years ago. I don't care what color you are, thereisn't a person on this earth that doesn't look twice at a middle eastern person at an airport INCLUDING other middle eastern people. It has now become engrained in us. Like it or not.

the best we can do is take people for who they are. Bradley, as metioned sems to be a complete dick head. He isn't predjudiced or rascist he hates everyone equally. Kent is a redneck, and most surely has some racist believes, but being blatantly rascist agauint everyone of color isa stretch, but then again I dont know him.

Racism will always be a problem as long as there are differing races. It is just another thing that is utilized to make a judgement about them. Race is just the one that gets the most attention. Right after sexism. But that is a whole other can of worms.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
excellent post Wantitall, and not just because I agree with most everything you wrote..your contributions to this forum are very solid...cheers