Why Juan Manuel Marquez will beat Floyd Mayweather

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Juan Manuel Marquez has always been one of my favorite boxers. He's one of the greatest technical fighters of all-time and a well-known perfectionist. He tries to make every one of his punches have meaning. I can go back to all this later.

Floyd Mayweather is, well, Floyd Mayweather. He has natural talent and speed. He has a great defense and killer reflexes. He also has a debt to the IRS but that's a different issue. Or is it?

I've been reading countless articles and watching everything I can for the upcoming fight (Sept. 19) between these two. I continue to be flabbergasted by the lack of respect JMM (from now on) seems to be receiving. What more does this warrior have to prove? Whatever that may be - it has to be less than what PBF (from now on) has to prove.

What's this fight really about?

In the Age of Pacquaio, JMM was the last boxer to ever give him any sort of trouble. In their first bout, Pacman (from now on) knocked JMM down three times in the 1st round alone. Pacman obviously showed his power and speed - something JMM did not truly expect. So, I guess that was the end of the fight? Well, not when it comes to JMM. You see, he isn't from England and his last name doesn't start with an H. JMM got out of the round and in the subsequent rounds was able to counter effectively and dominate Pacman. Yet, the fight was ruled a draw, even though, JMM was the clear winner. [Go watch the fight]

The rematch was another great bout between these two. It also proved to be more controversial than their prior fight. The decision was given to Pacman when JMM was the obvious winner. I understand that this is subjective but how else could someone explain blatant theft? Compubox numbers had JMM landing 21% of jabs to Pacman's 14%. It also scored for JMM 42% power punches to Pacman's 37%. Just ignoring the numbers and watching the bout - even Stevie Wonder - would have chosen JMM as the winner. What has made it more interesting has been Pacman's refusal to fight JMM and complete their trilogy. What is he so afraid of?

Hide and Seek is over

JMM is using this fight against PBF as a stepping stone. If he beats PBF, Pacman will be forced to fight him and finish their storyline. If he refuses, this only elevates JMM even further (than Pacman) among true boxing fans. JMM has heart; JMM has motivation!

What exactly is motivating PBF? It seems to me like he only wants another paycheck so he can pay off the millions he owes to the IRS. He's been away from boxing for two years and now decides to come back. What's really going on?

PBF doesn't seem to be taking this bout very seriously. He's been more amused with fake fights lately than he has been with boxing. Vince McMahon won't be coming to your defense on Saturday.

It looks to me like PBF has lost his focus and a piece of his heart.

Who exactly has PBF beaten?

PBF has cherry-picked more opponents than anyone else in boxing history.
Ricky Hatton? The boxer Pacman put away in 2 rounds but took PBF 10 rounds to do the same.

Oscar De La Hoya? A fight that went the distance. Do we really want to get into what happened when Pacman faced ODLH? Do we really want to get into what happened when JMM faced Pacman? Oh, we did.

Let's name some more of PBF's nicely picked opponents--

Baldomir, Mitchell, Corley, Sosa, Augustus? Oh wait, he did fight the late "great" Arturo Gatti.

Enough is enough

It's time to show them what you're made of, PBF. All that money you flash won't be protecting your broken ribs. You'll be dealing with a Jazz musician. Someone who improvises if he has to and can also intricately choose his openings once you give him time to think. Oh, and you will, we know you're not a flurry puncher. You like to throw a couple of punches and lean back like a bitch with your hands up against your face. JMM has a higher boxing IQ than you do. Giving him time will be a big mistake.

Ahh - what is that you're trying to tell me? You're going to come at him with speed? Is it just as fast as the speed he had to deal with against Pacman? Yes. Or did you manage to lose a step when you passed the age of 30. I guess we'll have to see but JMM has already dealt with the adversity you're trying to throw at him.

Let's face it - JMM has the perfect strategy for you. He's preparing a very smart and aggressive fight knowing that you hate to feel the pressure. You'll want to throw a couple of your punches so that he gives you some distance. But you're dealing with one of the best counter-punchers of all time.

You see, that's your problem, PBF. You're cocky. You're treating JMM like every other chump boxer you've ever fought. We'll see how your weak gameplan against JMM turns out to be. I don't recall you fighting someone crazy enough to drink their own urine. Show us what you're made of, PBF. Show us that you haven't lost your heart or your step. You are not invinsible and those jewels won't stop JMM's shots.

King 12io4j2w90

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Why Juan Manuel Marquez will beat Floyd Mayweather

What everyone REALLY wants to know is why Juan Mofome Marquez will beat Floyd Meatweather.

12io4j2w90

Integrity

EOG Master

Great writeup 91023i2ndw;l

Sounds like you are picking with your heart over your head, as PBF is one of the best, if not, the best P4P fighters, but this writeup is gonna make me seriously consider JMM

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Great writeup 91023i2ndw;l

Sounds like you are picking with your heart over your head, as PBF is one of the best, if not, the best P4P fighters, but this writeup is gonna make me seriously consider JMM

91023i2ndw;l

I'd like to know some notable and great fighters that PBF has beaten. He's cherry-picked his opponents all of his career.

Integrity

EOG Master

91023i2ndw;l

I'd like to know some notable and great fighters that PBF has beaten. He's cherry-picked his opponents all of his career.

Yeah, he's pretty much a smaller version of RJJ, but the guy has amazing skills..

This should be a great fight tho.

I thought Floyd prob should've lost the first Castillo fight, and JMM is FAR BETTER than JLC, so perhaps he does get it done.

Just hard to picture PBF actually losing, but your writeup makes it look possible...

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Big move up in weight for Dinamita.

Dont think his punches will hurt Pretty Boy

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Big move up in weight for Dinamita.

Dont think his punches will hurt Pretty Boy

I'm not so sure - we'll have to see. Either way, the same can be said about PBF and the effect his punches will have. He's an average puncher. Just look at the way Pacman manhandled Hatton in 2 rounds. It took PBF 10 rounds to beat Hatton. And if Pacman showed Hatton absolutely NO respect in their bout why wasn't he doing the same thing against JMM - a smaller fighter than Hatton? PBF does have more natural weight than JMM which gives him a strength advantage but pound-for-pound JMM is a stronger puncher. JMM beat both Diaz and Casamayor - both were stronger and natural lightweights.

Rando

EOG Enthusiast

I really hate Mayweather. He tries to talk down the sport of MMA because he feels threatened by it. He also uses it to get more media attention. He claims he is a "cash cow" but truth is if it weren't for him fighting Golden Boy and Manny, he wouldn't sell shit. His style is boring and most of his fights go to decision. He also acts like a thug that has the intelligence of an 8 year old.

I would love to see somebody boxing beat him. I would love even more to see him step into MMA and fight a decent fighter, he would get annihilated. He claims MMA fighters are just guys who couldn't make it in boxing, he should back his words and step into the cage, and prove it. But he is a coward, and he just talks.

Truth is he would get taken down and submitted very quickly, or grounded and pounded into oblivion if he fought anybody with a decent grappling game. Hell, even decent MMA strikers who have kicks and knees in their arsenal could probably outstrike him, since all he uses are punches. He would not fair well in Kickboxing/K-1 let alone MMA.

Integrity

EOG Master

Bump for those who may have missed it, but heard Kelly rave about it...

tripp

EOG Master

floyd will most likely win, but im not putting any money on this one.

Integrity

EOG Master

floyd will most likely win, but im not putting any money on this one.

yeah... i may stay away myself..

i was thinking easy floyd, but after this, im having to reconsider...

maybe a prop would be good

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

I'm not so sure - we'll have to see. Either way, the same can be said about PBF and the effect his punches will have. He's an average puncher. Just look at the way Pacman manhandled Hatton in 2 rounds. It took PBF 10 rounds to beat Hatton. And if Pacman showed Hatton absolutely NO respect in their bout why wasn't he doing the same thing against JMM - a smaller fighter than Hatton? PBF does have more natural weight than JMM which gives him a strength advantage but pound-for-pound JMM is a stronger puncher. JMM beat both Diaz and Casamayor - both were stronger and natural lightweights.

Here is the problem. Pretty boy is going to hydrate back up and when he does he will be 10-20 pounds heavier than Marquez. Pretty Boy's power jabs will cut up Marquez. Marquez will be a bloody mess and a one eyed fighter in the ring.

The fight goes under because Marquez will cut up and the fight will be stopped.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Here is the problem. Pretty boy is going to hydrate back up and when he does he will be 10-20 pounds heavier than Marquez. Pretty Boy's power jabs will cut up Marquez. Marquez will be a bloody mess and a one eyed fighter in the ring.

The fight goes under because Marquez will cut up and the fight will be stopped.

JMM has already fought fighters as big as Mayweather and probably stronger punchers, too. Mayweather is not a strong puncher. He also hits twice then blocks himself. That's what he does the whole fight. He gets in trouble when he's hit by more than two punces...and JMM has a higher boxing IQ that will help him fight a smarter fight. He's coming with a specific game plan.

dreamjob

EOG Dedicated

JMM +345 mayweather -395 on matchbook :cheers

dog

EOG Veteran

I agree with the analysis, Floyd hasn't fought since beating Hatton. Marquez is so much better. I plan to put about a dime on Marquez.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

It'll be interesting to see how Manny does against Cotto. This Floyd tonight would kick Manny's ass, too.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

lol Are you drunk tonight? What's with all the Ali and Patterson references?

cheapseats

EOG Master

lol Are you drunk tonight? What's with all the Ali and Patterson references?

just pulling your chain kr, personally i think the game is a mess these days, my references were to those of boxing when it was tight

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

just pulling your chain kr, personally i think the game is a mess these days, my references were to those of boxing when it was tight

I agree with you. :( I still love boxing and hope it cleans itself up.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

It'll be interesting to see how Manny does against Cotto. This Floyd tonight would kick Manny's ass, too.

Cotto is a live dog.

Pacquiao hasnt talked to Freddie Roach in months.

Pacquiao has been working out in Phillapines and already is late arriving to train with Roach in the US.

Pacquiao may be losing focus with all of his success.

Pacquiao is taking short cuts in training off impressive wins. That's the downfall of all fighters these days and how they fall off their perch.

Freddie Roach is worried about this.

So am I.

Play Cotto

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Cotto is a live dog.

Pacquiao hasnt talked to Freddie Roach in months.

Pacquiao has been working out in Phillapines and already is late arriving to train with Roach in the US.

Pacquiao may be losing focus with all of his success.

Pacquiao is taking short cuts in training off impressive wins. That's the downfall of all fighters these days and how they fall off their perch.

Freddie Roach is worried about this.

So am I.

Play Cotto

Good stuff, O'roy. Solid info. 91023i2ndw;l

Do you get Ring Magazine? How do you know this? :+clueless

I'm liking Cotto more now...

Boston

EOG Dedicated

pbf is by far the best fighter in boxing. He will make pac look like a joke more so than this fight. The outcome of this fight was obvious but i expected him to open up in the later rounds giving pbf a litle more room to put him down. Pac will get destroyed but what I really want to see is a legit welter fight him in mosley. pbf is a legit welter and needs to start fighting them because watching him pound little bitches will get boring in a hurry