How hard is it to get jobs in sports w/ a sports management degree?

mofome

Banned
Re: How hard is it to get jobs in sports w/ a sports management degree?

you interested personally lk?

My brother has a dergree from St Johns in New York. Worked for the old "sportsticker" in NY.

He plays on the New York Times Softball Team, his buddies work for ESPN. Still cant get in...The money blows from ESPN. The cheapest outfit there is.

roach23

Banned

Impossible unless you know some one. Or if you want to work in some minor league soccer team or something like that. I have 2 friends who majored in sports management in college. Both are now in sales.

August West

Rambler

Its not impossible, but you def have to pay your dues. I graduated in '98 w/ a Sports Mgt degree, and have worked in marketing in the gaming industry for the last 10 yrs. Don't plan on making serious money until your in your 40's though.

roach23

Banned

that's what i figured..

Not saying its impossible. But lots of those young GMs or front office guys seem to be business majors from Ivy League schools.

Though I read an article about a year or two ago about a kid from South Jersey who is one of the higher guys in the SD front office. He started out as the speed gun guy at Pads games for a year or two while he worked a regular job...and after a while kept getting promoted to better positions in the organization.

what about just becoming like a scout or something like that..

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Impossible unless you know some one. Or if you want to work in some minor league soccer team or something like that. I have 2 friends who majored in sports management in college. Both are now in sales.

Save your money - a Sports Mgmt degree might be the single most worthless piece of paper ever invented. teams don't care if you have the degree or not - they care if you can do the job. most people get hired with sports' teams because they know someone or interned and got lucky. i have a friend who works for a sports team and he has an MBA but no sports mgmt degree. most people start in sales and get paid squat because teams know if you don't like it they can find countless other people to do it for the same money - or less. the turnover rate for teams is staggering

Man - as far as ESPN i got lucky back in 1991. it took me about 7 months and even then i got lucky. started the process in July 1990 when Chris Myers (who worked for ESPN in LA came in and worked at out station one weekend in late June) and we picked his brain after the fact. took me many months of bugging people to get an interview in Oct 1990 - of which i paid to fly to bristol on my own dime with NO guarantee of a job but knowing w/o flying out there i would never get hired - and it wasn't until feb 1991 i got the call and started the day AFTER Prez Day 1991 out there. right now ESPN has a hiring freeze - they are not laying off people but not filling spots, either. i got paid $7.50/hour in 1991 to be a PA although in all fairness that was more than enough to pay my $350 monthly rent and all expenses mostly because i worked 10-20 hours a week of OT @ $11.25/hour and living in Bristol not like there was much to do on off days

back to the topic - a sports mgmt degree is a waste! if you wanna get a job SALES, SALES, SALES is how you can/will do it for the most part - once you get in the door if you can sell you will stick around - if you can't - you won't.

right now if you want a job working for a pro sports team that can be done - once again know you will be in sales and failing to "make your numbers" (and right now - not very easy at all) will put your employment in very shaky ground

thegreatdiatchi

EOG Addicted

Its not impossible, but you def have to pay your dues. I graduated in '98 w/ a Sports Mgt degree, and have worked in marketing in the gaming industry for the last 10 yrs. Don't plan on making serious money until your in your 40's though.

I think that last sentence can be said for most fields unless you have a PHD these days. Even though I'm getting an MBA soon I'm not expecting a ton of $$$, at least not for a few more years.

BTW Bizzie, what's new?