Emini Trading Journal

SSI

EOG Dedicated
Re: Emini Trading Journal

Cnatin, you around today?

do you put any stock into the daily range, which is around 20pts for the emini sp...

working on a way to play off the opening range (when big board opens), with the daily range, that has been set at that time..

yesterday and today this was a perfect (2-0), using only 1 trade per day as a guide.......... risking 6 to make (2.75)............ would need to stay at a 3:1 ratio and trade several contracts at a time to be worth it.

any thoughts?

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

high of the day projection was spot on (849.50)

Trade 9: short 1 esh09 on a stop at 836.50, profit target 821.50, stop/reverse orders now in at 841.00..

last price 830.00

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

another drop in the overnights, down to 824.50, low of 823.25, so free trading (trade 9) now..

short esh09 836.50, profit target 821.50, stop/reverse order at 836.25..

hopefully order gets filled in the overnight market and i cash out...

if so, this falls in line with my overall numbers (4-5)(+11pts).

cnatin: are you around..

if so, get on here in the morning, when the big board opens or just after, around 8:30 am cst.......... i want to bounce something off you..

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Cnatin, you around today?

do you put any stock into the daily range, which is around 20pts for the emini sp...

working on a way to play off the opening range (when big board opens), with the daily range, that has been set at that time..

yesterday and today this was a perfect (2-0), using only 1 trade per day as a guide.......... risking 6 to make (2.75)............ would need to stay at a 3:1 ratio and trade several contracts at a time to be worth it.

any thoughts?

SSI

Hi SS,
Sorry for the late response.
For indexes (any of the mini;s) I haven't played any breakouts;
but I have for 6B-(British Pound) in an opening range 2:45 AM - 3:45 AM breakout for a long while. Range has to meet certain criteria though. Currency market is real trendy though, once the banks open for business big boys start moving weight. However last few months volume seemed to drop off on the futures side of GBP--spread is like 4 or 5 sometimes-so I've stayed away for awhile now from the breakout trade on it.

Question are you looking to use the 20 pt as a guide for your opening range break out or just a guide in general.

The only stock(confidence) I put into the daily range is just comparing to previous days. Is the range expanding but on low volume?(possible exhaustion) or contracting(possible breakout) stuff like that.
Last 2 years been so volatile that it is hard for me to say that if the daily range = "X" then that means something. I only look at the range in relative terms.

Speaking of numbers I was curious as to how you arrived at your 13 point number for targets and such.

will be here at opening bell

SSI

EOG Dedicated

hi Cnat: here is the quick story..

i got this system about 10yrs ago, from a fellow poster at a commodity forum, funny thing is, he actually posts here from time to time...

i am the one that Developed the 15pt profit target and that has made all the difference in the world..

notice Trade #9 is now finished.... (+15pts)

this brings my record for the last 9 trades to: 4-5 (+11pts) and that is based on only 1 contract at a time.

this system has generated just over $30,000 (-274 comm) since sept 22 of 2008... based on 1 contract at a time..

as for the new thing, im looking at... yes im using the 20pt, as a guide for the daily range and trying to play a breakout of the opening range (big board) off it..... so to speak..

our current range is from: 830.50 to 820.50, a 10pt range, i expect a minimum of another 10pts will be added to one of these numbers today, which way is the question... more in about 45 min on this...

emini journal: 4-5 (+11pts) currently flat and trailing a 13pt BUYSTOP,,, exactly 13pts from the low of this move, which right now is at 833.50..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

ok cnat, here is the deal..

we have a low of 820.50 and a high of 830.50........... i am in belief that those will not be the daily low and high (i know they wont)..

i am now going to bracket these with stops.

selling 1 esh09 on a stop at 820.25,,,,, with a 2.75 profit target, if engaged will risk 6pts..

buying 1 esh09 on a stop at 830.75,,,, with a 2.75 profit targer, if engaged will risk 6pts..

last trade 821.50, so getting close to engagment on the sell stop..

one trade per day with this..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

well this 2nd concept is something im just fooling around with..

just got filled..

short 1 esh09 820.25, profit target 817.50, stoploss 826.25

what im attempting to do, is use the idea of the DAILY range being in the 18pt to 26pt range...

then getting the opening range, when the big board opens, for the day and sort of using a breakout, as long as the daily ranges are not violated.

and using the "one and done" philosphy..

low of 817.75 as i write this... so almost there...

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

out with a profit of (+2.75pt) and finished for the day with that, took about 10 minutes this morning..

3-0 (+8.25pts) the last 3 days...

any thoughts?

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

anyone following along, here is where my trading sits for the past week.

13pt system: 4-5 (+11pts)

Short Trade System: 3-0 (+8.75pts)

each pt is worth $50 and numbers are based on trading only 1 contract at a time, commission also must be taken out for each contract.

looks as though my day will now be quiet, as i will simply monitor this move lower and trail a BUYSTOP 13pts from the low of the move, for the 13pt system...

currently flat with 1 order working...

buy 1 esh09 829.75 on a stop..

back later..

SSI

showtime

EOG Member

SSI, thanks for the info. First, I used the pricing movement strategy that I have been using for the wsex interactives, and while only three days, I am up a little over 1.5k based on 1 contract. My strategy is not too different from what you are explaining. I opened a futures account yesterday, but the broker wants me to play with the platform demo for a bit. My main question is that, assuming that you trade in the After Hours market, can you effectively hit your 15 point spreads in the day market alone?

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

so on the breakout trade-
Hi\Lo between 7-9 AM is that the rule?

PLAY with the DEMO showtime..last thing you need is to be hitting wrong buttons.-reversing positions when you want to close--over loading positions..etc...
BTW -- what platform?

showtime

EOG Member

Going with Strategy Runner Pro- thought that was going to be fine for me going into the call, turns out that what he advised.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

cnat: yes and no...

showtime, there is no difference in after market hours or market hours, they are the same to me...

trade 10 has been engaged..

10. Long 1 esh09 829.75, profit target 844.75 (gtc), stop/reverse order now in at 824.75

as we made a high of 837.75...

so still using my 15pt profit target, that is a GTC order, makes no difference if we hit this at midnight, 3 am, or whenver, its going to be working...

the stop/reverse is simply a trailing stop order, 13pts off the high of move, trades alternate from (Long) to (Short)...

couple of points, if i encounter 4 losses in a row, you better load the wagon on the next one, its almost guaranteed...

ive had 2 winners in a row now (+30pts) in the last 24hrs, if this trade is a winner, the next could be a loser, as it will time for choppiness to ensue.

unemployment numbers tomorrow morning, so look for some consolidating sometime soon...

last trade 833.75

showtime, who did you open with?

SSI

showtime

EOG Member

SSI, I considered your guy, but I didn't want full service. Went with Global Futures. Really for no other reason than they had few good reviews.

I guess what I was trying to say before was if you only traded in the day market, would you hit as many of your 15 pt spreads as you do now?

Naturally you need to have a higher account balance per contract for AH trading, juts looking to see how important it is.

Since I am new at this, would like to see some success before I risk a pile of cash. If it is necessary though, then I would consider.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

showtime, ive had issues with my broker, that i dont want to get into right now, so im kind of glad you didnt..

even though we have never met, he is like a really good friend to me... we discuss everything and he knows my system inside and out..

the reason i stay there is friendship (not price) but for full service... $25rt is ok for now..

i am now going out for the afternoon but will remain in contact with broker via cellphone and delayed quotes,,,, he will sort of babysit my trade for me, moving my stops for me, if the trade calls for that...

and another benefit, i pay no attention at all to Margin money, call it a fringe benefit... as long as im not on call over 3 days, it matters very little..

and here is a trick for you to consider.. i dont know what your balance is or what you pay for comm.............. but you can always exit the trade at 3:14 pm cst, just before market closes at 3:15 pm,,,,,,,,, then simply re-enter at 3:30 pm cst, just as market re-opens..... this keeps you off of margin call, for the price of just one extra commission....... just something to think about..

new high at 838.50, broker will need to raise 2 sellstops to 825.50 now, trade (10) now has a risk of only 4pts or so, got to love these, regardless of how it turns out..

10. long 1 esh09 829.75, profit target 844.75, stop/reverse at 825.50

back later.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

showtime, if your serious about trading the 13pt system, ill be glad to assist you, any way that i can....

ill even give you my cellphone, if you have any questions....

but here is a little advice.... ive only listed 10 trades here for it.... watch it thru 25-30 or until the end of Feb.... paper trade it until then... after that make your call, the markets will be there... dont judge it by 10 trades..

i know what it can do, im up close to 24k since the end of sept trading just that and that is only based on one contract..

the biggest drawdown that ive seen is around $2500, before a win... i think 4 or 5 losses in a row, has been the longest streak out of 274 trades but dont hold me to that, im not looking at my trading journal...

if you need any assistance, let me know, no strings attached..

i have a saying, "I Live in the Emini"...... and i love to talk it but sadly, i might as well be speaking a foreign language...

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

couple other points, then i have got to go, back this afternoon to update trade 10 and any that may follow..

showtime, this system practices great money management skills, if you can say it like that.

we are now at 843.00, so this is a free trade for me now... if we hit 844.75, that will be 3 straight winners of (+15pts), that my friend will cover many losses in this system...

you could not trade it any better than this..

8. Long at 829.00, out at 844.00 (+15pts)

market then only moves to 849.

9. short at 836.50, out at 821.50 (+15pts)

market only drops to 816.75

10. long at 829.75, last trade 843.50

that my friends, is about as good as it gets.. for those 3 trades it cannot be done much better.

ill be back this afternoon or evening.

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

now im late but i had to wait until trade 10 ended.. cashed out at 844.75, now will trail a Sellstop 13pts off the high of this move, to enter on the down side...

13pt system: 5-5 (+26pts) based on 1 contract.

Short trade system: 3-0 (+8.75pts) based on 1 contract

not a bad week fellas...

showtime, cnat, you see exactly what i am doing right...

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Cool show-- get intimate with your platform--SR probably is right up your alley 'cuase I know you want to automate.
SSI is right, don't hold the position after trading hours cause then the overnight margin will step in, but you can exit like SSI was saying and then get back i after the break. Overnight really doesn't mean "overnight".

Yeah SS, I think I got it ..
I guess the only thing is the original swing point if just starting out.; but just take yours and once you are in with the swing point you are "trailing" the moves as you say until the order gets hit. Then swing the other way.

So I guess i will take start with 1 of your numbers and paper trade on my sim and then 13 pts off the swing each time.

13 points risk(52 ticks) SL
15 points gain(60 ticks) TP

"i have a saying, "I Live in the Emini"...... and i love to talk it but sadly, i might as well be speaking a foreign language... "

no you are not mate-- trading is like the international language of love.
You just dancing and the market is your partner..:cheers

SSI

EOG Dedicated

hey cnat, yeah 13pts off todays high of 849.00, is the next entry short..

ive got an order working right now..

11. sell 1 esh09 836.00 on a stop..

if i get filled, ill call the night desk with profit target and protective stop for the overnight..

you do also know that we trail the 13pt stop/reverse with the move.... thus for each pt the market moves in our favor, our risk is reduced..

example, if we are filled short at 836.00 and the market drops to say 831.00.. our stop reverse is then placed at 844.00, so our risk is then only 8pts and not 13pts... and with every losing trade, our exit with a loss, is also our entry on the next trade..

11. sell 1 esh09 on a stop at 836.00, fixed profit target at 821.00 (gtc), initial buy stop at 849.00 is a 2 lot, so your taken out and then put back in..

and believe it or not, i have seen a 13pt loss and a few 12pts..

i wont be on here until a little later tomorrow morning, so be careful of the unemployment number, ive seen some weird things happen around it...

SSI

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

Ok GOT IT!..

Yes my platform can trail it for me 1 pt move for 1pt move in favorable direction.
I'm out for the next month- in London working on an implementation project for a bank. Hopefully I can check in with you guys periodically.

keep up the good work SSI and good luck Show--

SSI

EOG Dedicated

thanks cnat, hopefully ill still be posting this when you return..

here is where my trading currently sits..

13pt emini system: 5-5 (+26pts) (+$1300)

Short term system: 4-0 (+11pts) (+$550)

these numbers are based on trading one contract only...

the short term trade is based off the opening minutes, when the big board opens (8:30 am cst).... has to do with range trading and is good for only 1 trade per day and thats it......... risking 6pts to make only (+2.75pts), so i need to trade several contracts and hit a minimum of 3:1 to do any good..

todays trade with the short term system, took all of 2 minutes, as we blew thru the high of 848.25, i cashed out at 851.00, with the profits and am thru for the day with this..

as for the 13pt system, currently flat and trailing a sellstop 13pts off the high of the nice upmove this morning..

back later or sometime this weekend..

if anyone is interested in learning to do this, i will have some time this weekend to explain this more, no strings attached..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

for the 13pt system

todays high 858.75, i have order working to sell on a stop at 845.75

last trade 853.75

so the big inital push up has stalled, for the moment, if todays high comes out (858.75) the sell order will trail it by 13pts..

my next trade will be a short (sell) but 13pts off the high of this upmove, whatever that turns out to finally be..

Showtime, if your following this.... i have had 3 straight winners, would not surprise me at all, to lose this next trade... just as when i had 4 straight losses, i knew for a fact to "load the wagon" on the next trade.

later

SSI

showtime

EOG Member

Very nice trading. Your system works great hitting 50%, so a loss is expected and not a big deal. Working with my demo now, probably will be funding my acct next week. Very thankful for the info.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

just let me know if you get lost somewhere...

as for my next trade (11)............ i now have a working order to sell at 849.25 on a stop, as todays high is 862.25

if this trade is not filled today, i will cancel all orders by the close, i will not leave an open order out there tonight, as we head into the stimulus vote (maybe tonight)... ill simply pick back up sunday night or monday morning..

showtime, if your available in the mornings (from say 8:00-9:30) or so, you may want to look at my "short term system"......... i have went (4-0) with it the past 4 days........ nothing like a winner early and taking off the rest of the day....

SSI

Wiki

EOG Member

Awesome trading SSI. The interactives at WSEX are quite similar. In very general terms, I buy at $55, if it goes the opposite rather quickly, I immediatly go to the other side. I normally sell at $100(win) and $20(loser), seems to be similar to what you are doing in the real world. Looking forward to going to futures myself. If I can get paid the same day, that would be awesome. Takes me 3 week to get paid by wsex now, and the same system should work.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

wiki........... you open a trading account, its your money, many places let you write checks out of your account... they cant steal your money..

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

market down pretty good in the overnights.... currently flat, with no working orders....

system calls for a sellstop to be placed at 856.25, low tonight of 859.00, last trade 859.25....

may or may not call nightdesk to place order...

SSI

SSI

EOG Dedicated

guys ill update this today but it may be my last post in this thread, just not enough interest to junk up the main room..

Showtime or anyone else, if you have any questions or interest, pm or email me...

trade 11: short from 856.25, stopped out for a loss at 865.25 (-9pts)

brings the 11 trade total to...

13pt System: 5-6 (+17pts)

Trade 12: currently Long from 865.25, with profit target at 880.25, stop/reverse orders working at 860.00.....

last trade (866.00)

Short Term Trades: 5-0 (+13.75pts)

i cant tell you how excited that i am over this one.... if i can hold a (5:1) ratio over the long haul, i will not need to do anything else...

todays trade took until 9:40 am CST..... about an hour later than normal..

Long at 868.25, out at 871.00. (+2.75pts) in about 2 minutes...

done for the day with that one, as its set for one trade per day...

Looking hard at the next 25 trades, if i can finish (25-5) over these, i am going to sink quite a bit of money into this and trade from 7-10 at a time..

any questions, my PM or email is always open..

good luck with whatever you do..

SSI