Newspaper declares Barack Obama winner of US election

Updated: 7:59AM GMT 29 Oct 2008

Newspaper declares Barack Obama winner of US election

A newspaper has declared Barack Obama the winner of the US presidential election – a week before it takes place.

The New Mexico Sun News - whose headline read "Obama wins!" - is fortnightly, and will not publish its next issue until November 8. This being four days after the election, the paper decided to take a gamble in advance.

In what it describes as a special collectors' edition, the newspaper elected to plump for Mr Obama, the Democratic candidate, due to his current lead in opinion polls over John McCain, his Republican rival for the presidency.

Mr Obama is currently 6.7 per cent ahead in a national "poll of polls" by RealClearPolitics.com, and also leads in virtually every battleground state.

Inside, the newspaper's editors explained their choice, writing: "When it comes to calling the winner of a presidential election, everyone wants to be first. The New Mexico Sun News hereby claims that achievement."
They add that readers must turn out to vote "even if we did spoil the ending for you".

The newspaper's decision threatens to see the replication of one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of US journalism, 60 years on.
The Chicago Tribune declared "Dewey Defeats Truman" on its front page of November 3, 1948, calling the presidential race for the Republican candidate, Thomas E. Dewey. However, Harry S. Truman, the Democratic nominee, had in fact won, and was later pictured holding a copy of the newspaper and grinning.

Re: Newspaper declares Barack Obama winner of US election

Nice try sweetie pie...

I believe that modern technology has improved significantly since back then...:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

We even have color TV now...

Is this like the 19-0 shirts they made up for the Patriots prior to the Super Bowl? :+clueless

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

New Mexicans aren't the brightest tools in the shed. Hell, they elected that fat fuck Bill Richardson gov.

So, Shrink, will you be watching Obama's 30-minute infomercial on himself tonight? I do wonder how a junior senator from Illinois raised sooooo much money for this campaign, far and away more that any other candidate in history? Interesting. I also hope that if elected, when he begins "spreading the wealth" he includes his as well. We can be sure, Ken, that if he gets his "wealth spreading" way, it will indeed include some of yours. 12io4j2w90

stef

EOG Enthusiast

So, Shrink, will you be watching Obama's 30-minute infomercial on himself tonight? I do wonder how a junior senator from Illinois raised sooooo much money for this campaign, far and away more that any other candidate in history? Interesting. I also hope that if elected, when he begins "spreading the wealth" he includes his as well. We can be sure, Ken, that if he gets his "wealth spreading" way, it will indeed include some of yours. 12io4j2w90

Probally from Oprah

What I do not understand if Obama is so far ahead why does he feel the need to spend a million on an infomercial?

What I do not understand if Obama is so far ahead why does he feel the need to spend a million on an infomercial?

He's raised more than twice as much money as McCain, from Lord knows where, and he's gonna spend it.

He's raised more than twice as much money as McCain, from Lord knows where, and he's gonna spend it.

I question how he got his money, but I must be the only one who does. :+clueless

I question how he got his money, but I must be the only one who does. :+clueless
I question it, too, Jenny. And tonight, we'll get to see the Barack who wants to help the poor people spend a ton of $$ to be on primetime TV on all the major networks. Despicable waste of money. He's got a brother in Africa who makes $1 a month ... you'd think if he wanted to help poor people, he'd start there. :rolleyes:

IF McCain was running this 1/2 hour commercial the media would be saying the RNC is trying to buy the election with all their money. Instead it's played out much differently????

HE IS SPENDING MILLIONS ON THIS (150K is a drop in the bucket to his campaign fund).

I question it, too, Jenny. And tonight, we'll get to see the Barack who wants to help the poor people spend a ton of $$ to be on primetime TV on all the major networks. Despicable waste of money. He's got a brother in Africa who makes $1 a month ... you'd think if he wanted to help poor people, he'd start there. :rolleyes:

I have always said this election is about choosing the lesser of two evils and I do believe McCain is the lesser. I just can not trust a man who can raise as much money as he has to become our president but say he is going to give us money back in our pocket. Yeah right he is out for number 1 and his buddies who have bought his way there. He is just like every other money hungry politician.

Awwwwwwwwwwww...

And many experts say that IF Obama weren't BLACK, this election would be OVER already...

So it's wrong to spend money to try and WIN an election?

Would you be saying this if McCain had bought the time slot? :finger004

Awwwwwwwwwwww...
Condescending at best.
Next.

And many experts say that IF Obama weren't BLACK, this election would be OVER already...

Yep. always with the race card. Race makes no difference to me whatsoever. Couldn't even begin to care less what color Obama is.
Next.

So it's wrong to spend money to try and WIN an election?
Yes. Waste is waste regardless of who's doing the wasting. Would you be defending it if it was McCain doing the spending? Doubtful

I have always said this election is about choosing the lesser of two evils and I do believe McCain is the lesser. I just can not trust a man who can raise as much money as he has to become our president but say he is going to give us money back in our pocket. Yeah right he is out for number 1 and his buddies who have bought his way there. He is just like every other money hungry politician.
You are 100 % correct on all counts, Yummy.

As a 2-1 favorite to win the election only 4 weeks ago,I would have wagered the farm on Obama winning. Now it is 6-1 and there jut seems to be a feeling that the big lead is going to disappear. At least around these parts and Iowa is all Obama as obviously our neighbors IL.

SG,

Do you REALLY BELIEVE that SARAH PALIN is truly qualified to be the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES if heaven forbid something happens to John McCain?

A simple YES or NO will tell me all I need to know...

Thanks,

THE SHRINK

SG,

Do you REALLY BELIEVE that SARAH PALIN is truly qualified to be the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES if heaven forbid something happens to John McCain?

A simple YES or NO will tell me all I need to know...

Thanks,

THE SHRINK

Ken, we've been over and over and over this. And this very same question. For the very last time I can only hope: I DO NOT SUPPORT MCCAIN/PALIN - AM CASTING MY VOTE AGAINST OBAMA - who I feel would the absolute worst thing - above and beyond Sarah Palin - that could possibly happen to this country.
12io4j2w90

As a 2-1 favorite to win the election only 4 weeks ago,I would have wagered the farm on Obama winning. Now it is 6-1 and there jut seems to be a feeling that the big lead is going to disappear. At least around these parts and Iowa is all Obama as obviously our neighbors IL.
Correct.

Ken, we've been over and over and over this. And this very same question. For the very last time I can only hope: I DO NOT SUPPORT MCCAIN/PALIN - AM CASTING MY VOTE AGAINST OBAMA - who I feel would the absolute worst thing - above and beyond Sarah Palin - that could possibly happen to this country.
12io4j2w90

Again, you failed to answer the question that was asked of you...

We all know you don't want Obama..

Last time...

Is Palin qualified to be the President?

Yes or No?

Again, you failed to answer the question that was asked of you...

We all know you don't want Obama..

Last time...

Is Palin qualified to be the President?

Yes or No?
I failed to answer the question the way you wanted me too, Ken. Let's for just one minute pretend that you respect my intelligence, m'kay?

She is more qualified than Obama - and that IS the only answer to the question.

I failed to answer the question the way you wanted me too, Ken. Let's for just one minute pretend that you respect my intelligence, m'kay?

She is more qualified than Obama - and that IS the only answer to the question.

That's BS and says all I need to know...:devil:

Not once did you have the balls to say Sarah Palin is qualified...:rolleyes:

I will drop it now...

Thanks for your circular answers,

THE SHRINK

That's BS and says all I need to know...:devil:

Not once did you have the balls to say Sarah Palin is qualified...:rolleyes:

I will drop it now...

Thanks for your circular answers,

THE SHRINK

No, you miss the point. It doesn't matter to me if she's qualified or not - she's better than the alternative. Much better. There is no choice for me, but her, although you somehow seem to want to make an issue of it when it's a nonissue. There McCain/Palin vs Someone I would never vote for - ever.
Thank you for treating me like an idiot with your condescending questions. Appreciate that. Oh, and I also adore being summarily "dismissed" from this converstaion by you as well. Nice touch.

No, you miss the point. It doesn't matter to me if she's qualified or not - she's better than the alternative. Much better. There is no choice for me, but her, although you somehow seem to want to make an issue of it when it's a nonissue. There McCain/Palin vs Someone I would never vote for - ever.
Thank you for treating me like an idiot with your condescending questions. Appreciate that. Oh, and I also adore being summarily "dismissed" from this converstaion by you as well. Nice touch.

:hug:

WVU

EOG Master

At least you can tell Sportsgirl is not on the EOG payroll.
:devil:

Neither is this great REPUBLICAN on the EOG payroll...

Colin Powell cites his belief that Sarah Palin is not ready to be president of the United States as one of the key reasons he is endorsing Barack Obama...

And virtually every newspaper in the United States who endorses Obama has said the same thing...

mr merlin

EOG Master

It's over, the newspaper is right, obama is so far ahead (gallup 2 pts), (rasmussen 3 pts), (zogby,tipp 4 pts), zero chance this thing can turn in only a few days.

Shrink is right, Palin sucks, Biden is so much better!

Don't be surprised to see maligned McCain campaign adviser Nicolle Wallace rejoining GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on her campaign plane very soon. We're told Palin personally called Wallace last night to smooth things over and, more importantly, stop the campaign from totally imploding.

As a vicious blame game within the campaign escalated over the $150,000 wardrobe debacle -- with many a finger pointing directly at former Bush White House aide Wallace -- McCain campaign officials scrambled to repair the public relations disaster.

The Sleuth has learned that Palin called Wallace last night to "knock down the false reports" about Palin blaming Wallace for what has come to be known as "shopping-gate," "wardrobe-gate" and "the shopping spree from hell." Palin also sought to put an end to the nasty anonymous name-calling, what with unnamed campaign officials this week calling Palin a "diva" and a "whack job."

"She didn't like the nonsense...she wants it stopped," a senior McCain-Palin campaign official tells the Sleuth. "Sarah called Nicolle to make sure she knows she respects and appreciates her and her work for the ticket."

Palin's phone call to Wallace came after Wallace, who has been accused not just of orchestrating the $150,000 shopping spree to outfit the vice presidential nominee but also of setting up the disastrous series of interviews with Katie Couric, spent Tuesday defending herself in a lengthy interview with The Daily Beast. That's when Wallace declared, "This campaign may do me in."

Separately, according to a campaign source, first dude Todd Palin also suggested last night that Wallace should "rejoin us all on the plane soon and SP agreed."

The Sleuth had been told that Palin banned Wallace from her plane at the height of negative coverage over the exorbitant shopping spree, which was first reported by Politico's Jeanne Cummings. But senior campaign officials deny that charge. They say Wallace never flew regularly with Palin anyway.:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

How anyone could still be undecided is just impossible to comprehend.

stef

EOG Enthusiast

How anyone could still be undecided is just impossible to comprehend.

I don't which way I am going yet. And after reading these forums I am probally still more up in air.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I don't which way I am going yet. And after reading these forums I am probally still more up in air.
How could you not possibly, have made up your mind by now? What is the problem?

mr merlin

EOG Master

Has it occurred to any of you that the undecided's may simply be saying that to the pollsters because right now it is politically incorrect to be against the chosen one.

I have personally been called twice by pollsters(no idea who for, but one was a black women) and I told her i was undecided but leaning Obama. She seemed pleased and said thank you and that was it.

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran

Awwwwwwwwwwww...

:doh1

After the election when the polls come out take a look and see which race stuck with their own race...

ill give u 100-1 more blacks vote for Obama than whites vote for McCain (percentage wise) Take it or leave it. Im guessing you wont take it but will still run with the race bullshit.