Evan Longoria

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Evan Longoria

saw him play a few years at Long Beach when they played the Titans - he can be a good one for years

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

3 for 3 with 2 doubles and a homerun so far today.

Is he the frontrunner for ROY?

I think he's going to be setting the standard at 3rd base in a few years with his bat and especially with his glove.

Good stuff, RD!

I like talking sports with you. ou know your shit.

Thanks Mad, I appreciate that.

I was trying to find some video on Longoria fielding, but nothing is coming up. I've watched him play live and on TV. He's going to be a good one, someone to lock up in a fantasy keeper league for sure. His downfall right now is that he's only hitting .169 v/s lefty's. But you can't fault the glove. Comparing him to Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt isn't a stretch. Tampa locked him up with a very friendly 6 year deal recently.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Yea. My team is out already this year. So I traded Sabathia @ 35 dollars (bad contract) to a team that needed a strikeout pitcher for Longoria who someone had for 1 buck (great contract). I am longterming him after this season 3 years to 11 bucks.

Yea. My team is out already this year. So I traded Sabathia @ 35 dollars (bad contract) to a team that needed a strikeout pitcher for Longoria who someone had for 1 buck (great contract). I am longterming him after this season 3 years to 11 bucks.

Excellent move my friend.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspscores>HR - E Longoria (15, 1st inning off J Barthmaier 2 on, 2 Out).</TD></TR><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspscores>RBI - E Longoria 3 (46).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JH85

EOG Addicted

He has tremendous upside. They say its only a matter of time before he wins his first gold glove. Plays excellent defense and has the bat to go along with it.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

HR - E Longoria 3 (25, 1st inning off G Perkins 1 on, 2 Out, 4th inning off P Humber 0 on, 2 Out, 7th inning off B Korecky 0 on, 0 Out),

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/233549-evan-longoria-hes-not-all-that

Evan Longoria: He's Not All That!

by Cliff Eastham (Columnist) Written on August 10, 2009

Why does everyone think Evan Longoria is the best third baseman in baseball? I just wrote an article about the players I would take if I were starting a team, with no limitations. I took David Wright at third base and you would have thought I had committed high crimes and misdemeanors.
Everyone was like, "I would have taken Longoria over Wright." Please! What has he done that is so special? Wright's OPS+ is 11 points higher than Longoria's.
In his rookie campaign he hit 27 HR and drove in 85, while batting .272. Those stats are good, but by no means great.
To me I look at his numbers and see Jim Thome. If you will recall, Jim came up as a third baseman with the Indians.
In his first full season (1995) he hit 25 HR, had 75 RBI and batted .314. He also struck out 113 times in 557 plate appearances (.203) compared to Evan's 122 in 508 PA (.240).
People use the shopworn phrase, "future Hall of Famer" when talking about Longoria. How can you justify that? Jim Thome will end his career (barring something unforeseen) in fifth or 6th place on the all-time HR list, with an average probably north of .270. Most people say, he may make the Hall of Fame, but it is "iffy." Iffy?
Longoria hasn't been hitting homers at a record pace, so what's he done?
A person would think he is the best to ever come along at the hot corner, if they listened to all of the praise that is washed over Longoria.
Look at the career Chipper Jones has put together, primarily at third base. Now those are statistics to bow to.
Hall of Fame third baseman Eddie Mathews had a great career. In his second year he won the National League HR title with 47 while knocking in 135. He also batted .302 and finished second in the MVP voting.
Now, let us look at a contemporary of Longoria, David Wright.
Wright has a career BA of .311. Entering this season he has a 162-game season average of 30 HR, 112 RBI, 199 hits and 107 runs scored.
People can say that Wright gets all the media attention all they want, but folks, the numbers speak for themselves and do not lie. Are there intangibles here which I am missing?
If Longoria is going to be talked about as one of the best players ever at third base, he better start batting .300 and hitting some serious home runs. You can't just look at a guy and say, "he is going to be the best there ever was." That is totally irresponsible and it just doesn't work that way.
So you can look over at third base and see the best player ever over there. What I see is a man who doesn't quite measure up to a young Jim Thome.
(c) 2009 Clifton Eastham
All Rights Reserved