Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama slipped back into a statistical dead heat with Republican Party nominee John McCain,

Re: Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama slipped back into a statistical dead heat with Republican Party nominee John McCain,

If I can ask, what institution did you get your degree from? Is it a Bachelor's or a grad degree?

B.S. University of Houston.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: Democratic Party presidential nominee Barack Obama slipped back into a statistical dead heat with Republican Party nominee John McCain,

Well, I can't speak for the polls but the betting market seems to think that no so many people are "coming home" as of yet.:pop:

dville

EOG Enthusiast

theres a few reasons why that 5 percent is legit

1. huge momentum to obama right now.
2. obama isn't a republican.
3 this isn't 1960. a large majority of whites are going to vote for obama regardless of arguments brought up.
4. the young people will come out to vote.
5. mccain isnt a conservative.
6. mccain has no money.
7. huge minority vote for obama.
8. american idol effect
9. mccain has already given up michigan and pa. 2 states he's needed.
10. virginia, missouri, north carolina, florida, nevada, west virginia are all toss up or leaning blue and mccain needs to win them all to even have a chance.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

dville, I need to correct you on a couple of things: 1. McCain has not pulled out of PA. and continues to pour dollars into that state.

2. Virginia is no longer a toss-up. Its leaning heavily to Obama. Two recent polls have Obama ahead in Vir. by double digits.

dville

EOG Enthusiast

dville, I need to correct you on a couple of things: 1. McCain has not pulled out of PA. and continues to pour dollars into that state.

2. Virginia is no longer a toss-up. Its leaning heavily to Obama. Two recent polls have Obama ahead in Vir. by double digits.

i thought i read something where he said he was on the verge of bailing PA as well because he's losing alot in the polls in PA.

you are right about virginia, trending heavily towards obama, which gives mccain 0 chance essentially.

virginia, missouri, north carolina, florida, nevada, west virginia, colorado

mccain has to win all of those states that to even have a worthy debate on his ability to win. no way he wins all 8 of them. he might not even win half of them.

JC,

Fivethirtyeight I would bet is flawed right now. He is not taking into account that voters will more than likely come home as the election wanes. There is no chance that Obama is 95.8% likely to win the election right now. That is just plain silly.

Yep, because you know more about this than someone who is a political scientist. Give me 10-1 on McCain then Captain Jackass. Oh wait, you won't because unlike you I actually know this shit.

I am not a Republican in denial. I am a Republican who does think that Obama will more than likely win but is not the lock most claim. And also isn't 6.5% less than what Obama was polling last week?

:+excited-

Read my posts. You are even proving my point. You say current electoral projections, what I am saying is that it is close to an immutable law that voters "come home". Sheesh, what can't people get about that? It is nothing about being a "distraught GOP member", it is about being a political scientist who knows his political history and sees that it happens in almost every election.

What makes him foolish is that he is arguing with someone who knows far more about this than he ever will.

I do not mind guys like wideopen, JC, Thor, and Mr. Sanderson. They are guys that know what they are talking about, OSU does not, nor does Shrink, Identity or many others (in regards to the election).

I understand what you are saying, but in political science it is statistically insignificant unless it is outside of that MOE. Unless they can ascertain something with 95% certainty political scientists declare it statistically insignificant. That is just the standard.

What is your deal? Earlier in the thread, the guy point blank said that he thinks Obama is going to win. All he did was point out that historically, there's a trend that occurs every election that should make this race closer than it appears currently. He said he still thought Obama would win, though. Then you come at him with this post? How does that make any sense at all? Did you even read his posts?

You're attacking the guy for providing insight on the polls and historical trends in presidential elections when he never even said McCain was going to win. I don't get it.

Maybe his presentation of the material could use some work. :+clueless

Just because one is a bookmaker doesnt make him have a better idea of what team will win this Saturday. In turn, just because someone has a Political Science Degree doesnt mean they know who is going win the election.

He has provided zero statistical data in this thread yet claims the website www.fivethirtyeight.com is "silly" with their projections. (Though they UNDENIABLY have the most complex and thorough system in the world in determining Obama's "win rate" at this point :rolleyes:) In essence Hinesward thinks he knows more than the webite mentioned above. :+textinb3

Though being a Political Science major may help one have knowledge of the past political scernarios, it doesnt mean he got a crystal ball to go along with his diploma. I dont care if voters have come home in the past. The lead Obama has now is too large for McCain to overcome.

Lets not forget how this thread started. (Or the title of it) :doh1

Well, I can't speak for the polls but the betting market seems to think that no so many people are "coming home" as of yet.:pop:

Why is that Ray?

Surely not because the current market at Matchbook is -820? (Up from -550 just 24 hours ago) :smokesmal

Maybe his presentation of the material could use some work. :+clueless

Just because one is a bookmaker doesnt make him have a better idea of what team will win this Saturday. In turn, just because someone has a Political Science Degree doesnt mean they know who is going win the election.

He has provided zero statistical data in this thread yet claims the website www.fivethirtyeight.com is "silly" with their projections. (Though they UNDENIABLY have the most complex and thorough system in the world in determining Obama's "win rate" at this point :rolleyes:) In essence Hinesward thinks he knows more than the webite mentioned above. :+textinb3

Though being a Political Science major may help one have knowledge of the past political scernarios, it doesnt mean he got a crystal ball to go along with his diploma. I dont care if voters have come home in the past. The lead Obama has now is too large for McCain to overcome.

Lets not forget how this thread started. (Or the title of it) :doh1

I do not have a crystal ball. I never claimed that I have....nor have I ever said that McCain will win the election.

Nor have I ever said I know more than fivethirtyeight.com. It is a very good site, I just think there percentage to win the election is slightly flawed.

And yes, myself having a political science degree does make me more able to predict the election. To turn your analogy against you, do they let people who don't follow sports gambling set point spreads? Poor comparison by yourself.

On a further note about fivethirtyeight, this is the first national election that they have been used, so no we do not have an idea about the predictive accuracy of their model. Your claim that they "UNDENIABLY have the most complex and thorough system in the world at determining Obama's win rate" is ridiculous since they are a new site that has never predicted anything. You are claiming that a relatively new site that is calling their first election is absolutely the best. That is ridiculous. That is like saying that some star rookie is the best player ever to play in a professional sport. Quite stupid. Does their model look promising? Absolutely. But as of yet they are still unproven so your claim is once again beyond idiotic.

Let's also not forget how you came into this thread. There was good discussion until you busted in and mischaracterized me. You're illogical post got this whole thing started. It must be a helluva thing to go through life not possessing an ounce of logic. Poor poor man. Do not worry, when you are serving me coffee in five years I will make sure to tip you well.

WVU

EOG Master

Hines what % chance do you give McCain right now?

Hines what % chance do you give McCain right now?

Right now or factoring in the "coming home" and Barkley effects?

WVU

EOG Master

factor whatever you want to factor. What % chance does McCain win the election?

factor whatever you want to factor. What % chance does McCain win the election?

Factoring in both I would say 20-25% ceteris paribus

WVU

EOG Master

then I am guessing you are buying up bunches of +650?

:+clueless

E PLURIBUS UNUM 12io4j2w90

Do you actually speak Latin? I have always been impressed by those that have taken the time to learn it.

then I am guessing you are buying up bunches of +650?

:+clueless

If my book had +650 than yes I would be betting McCain right now looking to hedge back later. Unfortunately the only book I am funded at right now has McCain at just +500

WVU

EOG Master

get some cash in Matchbook. Those lines jump all day

texansfan

EOG Master

Do you actually speak Latin? I have always been impressed by those that have taken the time to learn it.

No, I know it says that on some coins. ::LMAO::

get some cash in Matchbook. Those lines jump all day

I heard they were impossible to deposit into nowadays. Guru told me that they wanted him to send money to someone in a Central African country and that is why I don't have money out there.

texansfan

EOG Master

I heard they were impossible to deposit into nowadays. Guru told me that they wanted him to send money to someone in a Central African country and that is why I don't have money out there.

McCain +620 on Matchbook right now.

dville

EOG Enthusiast

Way too high of a number, the 20-25

Look at the 2004 Electoral Map.

Obama's going to carry Kerry's 252 easily. The only questions were Michigan and Pennsylvania. McCain gave up Michigan and is losing by 10-15 points consistently in PA. Obama is also going to get Iowa with ease. No real argument there, he's been up huge there throughout, McCain doesn't advertise there. Not a surprise with the easy Iowa win. That brings Obama to 259.

These are the tossup states that McCain has to cover with the real clear politics average.

Nevada: Obama +3, Florida Obama +4.8, Colorado Obama +5.8, New Mexico Obama +8.4, Missouri Obama +1.8, Indiana McCain +3.8, Ohio Obama +3.2, North Carolina: Obama +1.2, Virginia: Obama +8.1, West Virginia: McCain +1.5.

With no tossups, its safe 259 for Obama, safe 165 for McCain.

now let's just give McCain the tossups with him in the lead right now. That being Indiana and West Virginia.

259 Obama 182 McCain

Now Obama is already up 8 in Virginia which would win it. He's up in Florida which would win it. Up in Missouri which would win it. up in Ohio, North Carolina which would win it.

If Obama wins 1 of those 5 states he wins the election. Then we forget about Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado. If Obama wins Colorado and either Nevada, New Mexico he wins.

What I don't think you get is that McCain has to win all these states he is severely out-advertised in with heavy new registration numbers going to democrats. He just can't win all these states.

that 20 percent number was way high. 5, 10 percent at the best right now.

Way too high of a number, the 20-25

Look at the 2004 Electoral Map.

Obama's going to carry Kerry's 252 easily. The only questions were Michigan and Pennsylvania. McCain gave up Michigan and is losing by 10-15 points consistently in PA. Obama is also going to get Iowa with ease. No real argument there, he's been up huge there throughout, McCain doesn't advertise there. Not a surprise with the easy Iowa win. That brings Obama to 259.

These are the tossup states that McCain has to cover with the real clear politics average.

Nevada: Obama +3, Florida Obama +4.8, Colorado Obama +5.8, New Mexico Obama +8.4, Missouri Obama +1.8, Indiana McCain +3.8, Ohio Obama +3.2, North Carolina: Obama +1.2, Virginia: Obama +8.1, West Virginia: McCain +1.5.

With no tossups, its safe 259 for Obama, safe 165 for McCain.

now let's just give McCain the tossups with him in the lead right now. That being Indiana and West Virginia.

259 Obama 182 McCain

Now Obama is already up 8 in Virginia which would win it. He's up in Florida which would win it. Up in Missouri which would win it. up in Ohio, North Carolina which would win it.

If Obama wins 1 of those 5 states he wins the election. Then we forget about Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado. If Obama wins Colorado and either Nevada, New Mexico he wins.

What I don't think you get is that McCain has to win all these states he is severely out-advertised in with heavy new registration numbers going to democrats. He just can't win all these states.

that 20 percent number was way high. 5, 10 percent at the best right now.

dville, I think the two effects I have previously mentioned will significantly cut into Obama's lead the closer we get to election. Thus, I expect those RCP numbers to narrow and the likelihood of McCain to win battleground states to rise. My 20% estimate was not based on the polls right now but what I expect polls to be before election day.

Easy for me. I use my CC.

Two of my CC's declined when I tried to deposit that way and I didn't bother with the rest. I was really trying to get into MB a month ago when their individual state prices were so juicy. It was hilarious that they had the Dems to win California at around -900 and Michigan at -700. Fantastic odds. There was no doubt that CA would go blue and little doubt MI would.

texansfan

EOG Master

My CC issued from my credit union works everywhere for some reason. It's the only one that does.

texansfan

EOG Master

They have a few states left, not many.

dville

EOG Enthusiast

dville, I think the two effects I have previously mentioned will significantly cut into Obama's lead the closer we get to election. Thus, I expect those RCP numbers to narrow and the likelihood of McCain to win battleground states to rise. My 20% estimate was not based on the polls right now but what I expect polls to be before election day.

Say your right, which I don't think you are with the coming home and bradley effect. McCain doesn't bring excitement to the base, and like I said before this isn't 1960. Say anyways though your right and the 5 battleground states where Obama can win the election if he wins 1 of those 5,

Virginia, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida

Obama is up in those. Say your right though and there dead even come voting time.

Your essentially saying McCain has a 20-25 percent chance to hit a 5 state parlay in gambling terms.

I mean let's be realistic here, the odds are remote that this happens. Even if they are even like you say going in. Smaller then remote, minute.

Thats the only reason why I was going after that 20-25 percent. The 538 site might even be giving McCain a bigger number then they should be.

No offense, but talk on the forums of what types of CC will work at which book is probably not recommended. If someone would like to know how to get a deposit into Matchbook, request the info be sent to them via PM. . .

Say your right, which I don't think you are with the coming home and bradley effect. McCain doesn't bring excitement to the base, and like I said before this isn't 1960. Say anyways though your right and the 5 battleground states where Obama can win the election if he wins 1 of those 5,

Virginia, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida

Obama is up in those. Say your right though and there dead even come voting time.

Your essentially saying McCain has a 20-25 percent chance to hit a 5 state parlay in gambling terms.

I mean let's be realistic here, the odds are remote that this happens. Even if they are even like you say going in. Smaller then remote, minute.

Thats the only reason why I was going after that 20-25 percent. The 538 site might even be giving McCain a bigger number then they should be.

I understand what you are saying but yes I think there is a damn good chance that McCain can sweep those states.

Also, unless this election is an anomaly, blacks and young voters will not turn out at the level they claim. While I think we will see a marginal increase in black voters, I do not think we will see a change in turnout from young voters. McGovern based his campaign on minorities and younger voters in 72 and got crushed because of it. Blacks and younger voters don't turnout as high as 35+ year old whites.

The difference now is that many, many, people are energized by their anger to a point not seen ever before. The astounding proliferation of information sources has fueled this anger, I think. Everyone who chooses to, can see for themselves how defective the current regime is; and they are energized to see that the country is not forced to endure four more years of the same. The plethora of information sources did not intrude into everyone's life in the elections from past eras; a distinction which I believes makes this election unique. . .Moreover, Americans have not ever experienced an administration so brazen in its hubris, arrogance and absolute incompetence. This is but another reason why the traditional percentages of demographic voter turnout will not hold sway this November.

munson15

I want winners...

How anyone can say with a straight face that a McCain administration would in any way resemble the Bush White House is beyond me. But it makes a good slogan.

The difference now is that many, many, people are energized by their anger to a point not seen ever before. The astounding proliferation of information sources has fueled this anger, I think. Everyone who chooses to, can see for themselves how defective the current regime is; and they are energized to see that the country is not forced to endure four more years of the same. The plethora of information sources did not intrude into everyone's life in the elections from past eras; a distinction which I believes makes this election unique. . .Moreover, Americans have not ever experienced an administration so brazen in its hubris, arrogance and absolute incompetence. This is but another reason why the traditional percentages of demographic voter turnout will not hold sway this November.

While I understand your argument and think there may be a slight boost in turnout from these factors I think it would hold greater weight if this was an incumbent election. McCain was not the one that made these mistakes, it was the Bush administration. The Democrats have used a good strategy in trying to tie the prospective candidate with the current unpopular President, but McCain is not the President.

To be fair, I think the Reagan administration was far more brazen in its' hubris. These people who think that Bush did a lot of bad things need to read on the stuff that happened under Reagan. If Bush needs to be imprisoned, than Reagan needs to be posthumously hung, drawn, and quartered.

WVU

EOG Master

I understand what you are saying but yes I think there is a damn good chance that McCain can sweep those states.

What % chance do you give McCain of taking Florida? I think if you did this state by state you would have a decent paying parlay

You are basically saying McCain has a 75% chance to win each of the 5 states. Do you really think that?

munson15

I want winners...

WVU, if momentum swings McCain's way, it will likely do so across the board, so that if he wins a couple of the states in question, he may win all the close ones. Not a likely scenario in my opinion, but not quite the odds of a true parlay.

What % chance do you give McCain of taking Florida? I think if you did this state by state you would have a decent paying parlay

You are basically saying McCain has a 75% chance to win each of the 5 states. Do you really think that?

Munson took the words right out of my mouth. I think it will be an across the board move back to McCain and the chance of him sweeping those states is not as remote as people may think.

While I understand your argument and think there may be a slight boost in turnout from these factors I think it would hold greater weight if this was an incumbent election. McCain was not the one that made these mistakes, it was the Bush administration. The Democrats have used a good strategy in trying to tie the prospective candidate with the current unpopular President, but McCain is not the President.

To be fair, I think the Reagan administration was far more brazen in its' hubris. These people who think that Bush did a lot of bad things need to read on the stuff that happened under Reagan. If Bush needs to be imprisoned, than Reagan needs to be posthumously hung, drawn, and quartered.

The Reagan issue pretty much shows my point, to an extent. Initially, it's important to point out that the Reagan administration was far from incompetent; very much unlike the current regime. Second, they didn't sell out their conservative small-government philosophy for short-term political points. Finally, the glut of information sources enjoyed by modern Americans did not yet exist during the Reagan administration; and few of the current energized voters are likely to browse the bookstore section hawking exposes of the Reagan years. . .

As for the similarities between the current regime and McBush: the same hangers-on, back-room dealmakers and "consultants" which drove the current regime into the ground are hovering around McBush. Though I believe the buffoon to be intellectually incurious to a shocking degree, it takes a special, more refined sense of absolute incompetence amongst the yes-men gofers to fuck up to the degree that the current regime has accomplished. These same incompetent gofers have taken a man who once was proud of his differences from the buffoon and converted him into another cynical, poll-watching, incompetent rehash of what we've been subjected to for the last eight years. The majority of Americans have recognized the tune being played, and have apparently opted for a different fiddler. . .

munson15

I want winners...

You make some good points, but McCain has much more substance at his core than W. He is being advised yes, but the reason he never went negative in the debates until last night was that he wanted to stay true to himself. Once he learned that honesty is not the best policy when trying to get elected president, he finally turned into an average guy shilling for votes. Still, I don't believe the behavior necessary to get into office would guide him once there.

dville

EOG Enthusiast

You make some good points, but McCain has much more substance at his core than W. He is being advised yes, but the reason he never went negative in the debates until last night was that he wanted to stay true to himself. Once he learned that honesty is not the best policy when trying to get elected president, he finally turned into an average guy shilling for votes. Still, I don't believe the behavior necessary to get into office would guide him once there.

McCain doesn't get the conservative base pumped up. He's not even a conservative. Linking to Bush will kill him and has. Plus the nation has turned more democratic, and Palin is not a well received VP candidate.

I think HinesWard is hoping for something that has little to no shot of happening.

McCain as of today with the electoral college has a 2-5 percent chance of winning. That's just math and looking at the electoral map.

Obama is pummeling him with ads, 1,300 to 8 in Virginia alone, which is why he's up by 8. McCain already had to drop Michigan which should be evidence enough that he's in trouble.