Does Anyone Find The Timing Of Hurricane Gustav Ironic?

I can't help but wonder about the TIMING of this apparent tragedy?

Hopefully, we are better prepared than 3 years ago....:cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: Does Anyone Find The Timing Of Hurricane Gustav Ironic?

It can't be good public relations for the Republican party.

Poetic injustice.

Barack The Lock!

The Devil

EOG Master

YES......THE DEMOCRATS WERE VERY SMART HAVING THEIR CONVENTION 2 WEEKS EARLIER........

August West

Rambler

This will definitely help the Repubs. You can bet your ass McCain and the Repubs will be going waaaay out of their way to help out down there (which is good). But they can come out of this looking like the heros if they play their cards right.

texansfan

EOG Master

What does Gustav have to do with the Republican party? With regards to Katrina, maybe if the Democratic governer they had, along with Nagin, weren't so damn incompetent many of the problems experienced in Louisiana wouldn't have occured.

This will definitely help the Repubs. You can bet your ass McCain and the Repubs will be going waaaay out of their way to help out down there (which is good). But they can come out of this looking like the heros if they play their cards right.

You sound like a politician....

But as a citizen, this brings back tragic memories of children and elderly helpless people dying while President Bush turned his head the other way when Katrina devestated New Orleans 3 years ago...

One of many evil things that occured under his tenure...:rolleyes:

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

just a hunch but i think hurricanes are independents. good lord this is getting silly.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Palin gets hammered on this board for creationism and then this thread gets started.

The liberal mind works in mysterious ways.

You sound like a politician....

But as a citizen, this brings back tragic memories of children and elderly helpless people dying while President Bush turned his head the other way when Katrina devestated New Orleans 3 years ago...

One of many evil things that occured under his tenure...:rolleyes:

1) Everybody deserves some of the blame. Federal, State, Local, individuals.

2) Even with the greatest emergency-plan, hundreds of people were going to die. When roads & bridges are destroyed, it is tough to transport people, equipment, supplies, etc.

texansfan

EOG Master

2) Even with the greatest emergency-plan, hundreds of people were going to die. When roads & bridges are destroyed, it is tough to transport people, equipment, supplies, etc.

Stop being sensible.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Please don't bring sound logic to a political discussion on EOG, there is no place for it.

Thanks.

Agreed but the one with the most power usually gets the most blame and rightfully so....

When things go wrong here, I accept full responsibility...

Does the same logic apply when we chose to invade Iraq? :rolleyes:

texansfan

EOG Master

Iraq is Bush's war, so yes he should get whatever criticism comes with that.

Bush has no control over the weather. It's already known how badly the state handled Hurricane Katrina and it's lack of preparations. The hurricane is a state matter. The gov't gets involved after, not before.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

The people who got f___cked last time and stranded with no food did so because they CHOSE not to leave. Sure I understand some people have no money, but the majority of those that died could have heeded warnings and left.

If the government gives you a couple days notice and tells you to get out, if your ass gets run over by a hurricane, flood, avalanche, volcano, etc I have no pity for you.

I hope all are well, but the smart ones are currently in no danger.

ballwonder

EOG Master

I honestly think they are better prepared this time. Makes you wonder why where we not prepared the last time. It was not like it was 30 years ago.

Journeyman

EOG Master

This is what Bush and McCain were doing last time (Katrina)

Bush=Bafoon

I'll give you pro-O'Bama guys credit:

At least you aren't ROOTING FOR THE HURRICANE like that BOZO Michael Moore:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJv9to8Kc2Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJv9to8Kc2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Former DNC Chair Apologizes for Hurricane Gaffe

Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:00 PM

A former Democratic National Committee chairman apologized Sunday for suggesting that Hurricane Gustav's expected arrival as Republicans prepare to open their national convention is a sign God favors Democrats.

During a flight from Denver to South Carolina last Friday, Don Fowler -- who was DNC chair in 1995 and 1996 -- was recorded telling a fellow passenger that it appears Gustav will make landfall on Monday.

"That just demonstrates that God is on our side," Fowler added, according to a video posted on YouTube under the headline: "Fowler Fouls: Hurricane is God's Favor To Democrats."

The person who recorded the conversation is not identified. The person whom Fowler was talking to is not visible in the video, but was identified on the conservative Web site as Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C.

On Sunday, Fowler told The Associated Press that he was making fun of comments made by the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, said the attacks were God's punishment for abortion, homosexuality and other sins.

"This is a point of national concern. I think everybody of good will has great empathy and sympathy for people in New Orleans," Fowler said. "Most religious people are praying for people in New Orleans. There is no political connotation to this whatsoever. This was just poking fun at Jerry Falwell and the nonsensical thing he had said several years ago."

Fowler said if anyone was offended, he apologized.

"I don't believe in a God that's vengeful. I believe in a God that's compassionate," he said.

South Carolina GOP chairman Katon Dawson called Don Fowler's comments "disappointing and despicable."

"A storm is not a partisan event and that is what they've done. I am outraged," Dawson said, speaking by telephone from St. Paul, Minn., where the Republican National Convention is scheduled to start Monday, but may be altered because of concern over Gustav.

Last edited by a moderator:

sean1

EOG Dedicated

It is not Bush's fault that last time the weather channel and every television channel and internet broadcast in the world said it was a Category 3-4, get out, but NO had not been hit in a long time and no one gave a shit.

When I was in MIami, people fled from Category 3 storms cause they remembered Andrew. The only reason people are leaving this time is they remember last time. When another storm comes in 30 years, no one will leave and it wont be Bush's fault that time either.

Video goodness of Fowler:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrBus8ORR78&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

I honestly think they are better prepared this time. Makes you wonder why where we not prepared the last time. It was not like it was 30 years ago.

This being an election year didn't hurt sadly enough...