Illini Backers.... you have some explaining to do

approveme

EOG Addicted
Ok I am seeing a lot of love for Illinois in their opener against Missouri. Taking the points is one thing I guess... 8.5 is a good number, but other than that there are a few looking for them to win straight up etc.

Correct me if I am wrong on anything here as I look backto last seasons matchup.

Missouri pretty much had this game in the bag from start to finish. Juice williams was a non-factor and it was McGee who stole the show for the illini. Juice will start in the rematch, and on top of that stud running back mendanhall is gone. Now Missouri does lose a few key players too like top receiver franklin who was drafted in NFL, but maclin retuns who will be another NFL pick along with 2 other very capable receivers... specially with one of the best QBs in the nation throwing to them. Leading rusher tony temple is gone, and jackson is a bit of a drop off but with Missouris spread he should be able to find some success.

Both defense grade out to about the same here preseason... Missouri lost Williams a beast on the inside to the NFL, and Illinois lost their best line backer to the NFL as well. Williams may be a bigger loss, but his replacement should be decent enough so that it does not affect the entire line at all.

Sure illnois improved all season, but its not like the tigers fell off either...

I still have a lot more to look into for this one, but right now do not see how illinois gets it done. Better offense... better special teams play, and another year with Chase Daniel. I have to say Missouri definitely wins this one, and may cover the large number as they do so.

scartown

EOG Senior Member
Re: Illini Backers.... you have some explaining to do

Ok I am seeing a lot of love for Illinois in their opener against Missouri. Taking the points is one thing I guess... 8.5 is a good number, but other than that there are a few looking for them to win straight up etc.

Correct me if I am wrong on anything here as I look backto last seasons matchup.

Missouri pretty much had this game in the bag from start to finish. Juice williams was a non-factor and it was McGee who stole the show for the illini. Juice will start in the rematch, and on top of that stud running back mendanhall is gone. Now Missouri does lose a few key players too like top receiver franklin who was drafted in NFL, but maclin retuns who will be another NFL pick along with 2 other very capable receivers... specially with one of the best QBs in the nation throwing to them. Leading rusher tony temple is gone, and jackson is a bit of a drop off but with Missouris spread he should be able to find some success.

Both defense grade out to about the same here preseason... Missouri lost Williams a beast on the inside to the NFL, and Illinois lost their best line backer to the NFL as well. Williams may be a bigger loss, but his replacement should be decent enough so that it does not affect the entire line at all.

Sure illnois improved all season, but its not like the tigers fell off either...

I still have a lot more to look into for this one, but right now do not see how illinois gets it done. Better offense... better special teams play, and another year with Chase Daniel. I have to say Missouri definitely wins this one, and may cover the large number as they do so.

I totally agree with you. Illinois have lost 4 of their top 5 tacklers from last season and only have 6 returing starters on that side of the ball. Mizzou should be able to move the ball on these guys and put on some points.

One matchup to look forward to is Maclin vs. Davis. These are two potential 1st rd picks going against each other.

approveme

EOG Addicted

I totally agree with you. Illinois have lost 4 of their top 5 tacklers from last season and only have 6 returing starters on that side of the ball. Mizzou should be able to move the ball on these guys and put on some points.

One matchup to look forward to is Maclin vs. Davis. These are two potential 1st rd picks going against each other.

Yes, davis/maclin should be a hell of a battle...

It will also be interesting to see how the Missouri offensive line handles a solid and fresh illinois dline. Missouri loses two good linemen, and starts a first year center in barnes.

scartown

EOG Senior Member

Yes, davis/maclin should be a hell of a battle...

It will also be interesting to see how the Missouri offensive line handles a solid and fresh illinois dline. Missouri loses two good linemen, and starts a first year center in barnes.

Yes, Illinois dline could give Missouri some trouble. They have a nice solid unit there.

Another thing to watch for is the health of Illinois wrs. Jeff Cumberland is out 2-4 weeks with a foot injury and I believe they have another wr hurt.

approveme

EOG Addicted

Yes, Illinois dline could give Missouri some trouble. They have a nice solid unit there.

Another thing to watch for is the health of Illinois wrs. Jeff Cumberland is out 2-4 weeks with a foot injury and I believe they have another wr hurt.

Didn't know about cumberland.. thanks for the heads up

BamaGuy

EOG Addicted

I have had mizzou covering since the very beginning. They were studs last year and didnt lose hardly anything.

concours82

EOG Enthusiast

I like Mizzou a lot in this game. Good luck everybody.

approveme

EOG Addicted

Like mizzu myself, but not sure If I want to lay over a TD here.. what to do what to do..

smartplays

EOG Enthusiast

The Zook rule for me is he is good as a dog, has athletes, but fade as a favorite. He does not know how to manage a game. I.e. he lets teams stick around.

EamusCatuli

EOG Member

Originally Posted by approveme
Leading rusher tony temple is gone, and jackson is a bit of a drop off but with Missouris spread he should be able to find some success.

Derrick Washington is the starting tailback for Mizzou (not Jimmy Jackson)and will take the bulk of the carries. From who I have talked to the coaches are very excited about Washington. In their eight years at MU coaches think Washington is the most explosive back they have ever had. I do not see any dropff at the tailback position, possibly an upgrade as Washington will get better and better as the season goes on.

approveme

EOG Addicted

Derrick Washington is the starting tailback for Mizzou (not Jimmy Jackson)and will take the bulk of the carries. From who I have talked to the coaches are very excited about Washington. In their eight years at MU coaches think Washington is the most explosive back they have ever had. I do not see any dropff at the tailback position, possibly an upgrade as Washington will get better and better as the season goes on.

Thanks for the heads up... have to make note of that and watch out for him.

ChiTown Hustler

EOG Enthusiast

Hard not to jump all over Mizzou in this game.
You know they are gonna win the Turnover battle. Juice is a threat to run but the Tigers have plenty of talent on the D to neutralize it. ILL has great DB play, but Daniel should get more than enough time to pick that backfield apart. Plus Mizzou can run the ball very well out of the spread. Tigers have the better kicker and well coached on ST.

Desination

EOG Enthusiast

The line is up to 9 in some places...hard to not think twice about the Illini as a dog in a rivarly game

approveme

EOG Addicted

The line is up to 9 in some places...hard to not think twice about the Illini as a dog in a rivarly game

I have 2 teasers with Missour +1 pending...

I am buying Illini up to 10 and taking the points from there.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

My daughter went to MOO-MOO Mizzou -and so did my money! I graduated from Illinois grad school! Put Mizzou in a teaser with Nebraska!

luckyspike

EOG Enthusiast

Mizzou may be one of the best teams in the nation, as a nebraska fan I am terrified to play them week 4. If everyone stays healthy they may be playing for a national championship.