LaDainian Tomlinson.. Has he reached his peak? Should we expect noticeable decline in the coming years?

Apple

Banned
Had this discussion with a couple of friends today. They were saying that LT has reached his peak already and at age 29 should start showing noticeable decline..

What do you think?:pop:

durito

EOG Senior Member
Re: LaDainian Tomlinson.. Has he reached his peak? Should we expect noticeable decline in the coming years?

Running backs do tend to peak by that age.

But, he's been limited in his carries compared to many feature backs, and he still plays on a great team.

I doubt barring an injury that he's anything but one of the top players in the league the next couple years.

Apple

Banned
Re: LaDainian Tomlinson.. Has he reached his peak? Should we expect noticeable decline in the coming years?

I tend to agree with you durito.. Alexander was a good example of someone who declined after age 28.

durito

EOG Senior Member

i never thought he was all that good.

he had a couple good seasons behind a fantastic line.

Apple

Banned

Agree with you again.. For a couple of years he had two of top 5 Offensive Lineman in the NFL.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

It may not show up, but he is a touch overrated to begin with. Westbrook would have done even more behind that line. Probably will start to see a slight drop off in the next couple years.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

alexander and LT are wayyy wayy different.

Tiki got better with age.

Barry quit when he got to this age.

Holmes and Faulk died at this age.

AP will be this good if he stays healthy.

Agree with you again.. For a couple of years he had two of top 5 Offensive Lineman in the NFL.

So how good is Peterson when his line is much better than SD's? LT was never overrated. He is the closest thing to Payton I have seen.

any of you who think LT is overrated need to lay off the pipe...he has been the best back in the league for close to 5 years but yall knock him? all he has done during his career average close to 340 touches a year, 1500+ yards on the ground a year, 16+ tds a year, and thats not including his threat catching the ball in the passing game. and oh yeah...he has a 72% completion percentage (only one of his completions in his career didnt result in a touchdown!!!)

of course he hit his peak when he rushed for 1800 yards and accounted for 33 touchdowns...but i dont see him showing a noticeable decline in the next 3 to 4 years...the guy is one of the most elusive backs out there and rarely takes any big hits...plus he has a great work ethic and makes sure he is always in the best possible shape he can be in in season...barring any freak injury i believe he can play a solid 5-7 years...just check warrick dunn

you name me one current back who has produced as much as he has...

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

tomlinson has missed one regular season game in his 7 year career and has rushed for almost 11,000 yards.

no way in hell that he is overrated.

the chargers oline has been mediocre for the majority of his career.

the guy is pure class just like walter payton was.

i think he will be the same dominating back this season.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

I think LT has atleast 3 more solid years under his belt......

Apple

Banned

I never said LT was overrated.. LT is my favorite player in the NFL, I have his jersey.

Apple

Banned

bump

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The one thing LT has going for him is that he protects himself more than other running backs do. LT is worried about his legacy, he wants to break some NFL records and in order to do that, he has to hang around a long time.

Also, he might not be 100%. Its hard to rate a guy and say he's done when he's running on a sore foot. Lets see how LT does this season before sticking a fork in him.

Also, he was SO good in previous years, that at least a little decline is something to be expected.

Apple

Banned

I've watched all three games, he hasn't looked the same..

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

lt looks slow and injured (side note, burner turner ripping it up in ATL...damn...sproles is a nice back...in the "Lionel James-little train" sense...but turner is an everydown back...what a stud)

SO

THANK GOD FOR PHILIP RIVERS

the kid has come into his own

top 5 NFL QB that is carrying this team on his back

rivers-a-flowin':+excited-

LT is not what he has been in the past and won't be ever again more then likely but he is still damnnnnnn good

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

i like aj smith

but if he really carried the 'poker-faced' moniker that he seems to get labeled with

then he would have kept turner and tried to trade lt for a 1st round pick...

i like tomlinson's ability and character...one hell of a back,...

but he is starting to show the burden of playin everygame...every season...and is a mess...

he is banged up...

turner is rippin' it up

just sayin'

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If LT gets healthy, watch out.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

If LT gets healthy, watch out.

:cheers

i agree with you

&

that is what i hate about the nfl

so difficult for skill position players to get healthy during the season

Apple

Banned

If LT isn't 100% why is he getting 26 carries? I just dont get it...

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

I just read on another site from someone who says he has a direct source that LT's toe is actually broken and has been for at least 2 weeks. Could definitely explain why he doesn't have his usual bounce and explosiveness.

I just read on another site from someone who says he has a direct source that LT's toe is actually broken and has been for at least 2 weeks. Could definitely explain why he doesn't have his usual bounce and explosiveness.

They really can afford to sit him down a week or two. A healthy LT sets them apart from the rest in the AFC.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Absolutely agree with ya on that Jager. A healthy LT come the stretch run of the season is vital to them. Sproles is definitely a better option than an injured LT at this moment.

It may not show up, but he is a touch overrated to begin with. Westbrook would have done even more behind that line. Probably will start to see a slight drop off in the next couple years.

Westbrook? Really?

Imo, not a Top 5 RB in this league.

ballwonder

EOG Master

From the age of 30 and on you will see less yards from L.T. Only one player off the top of my head had just as many yards after the age of 30 as he did when he played up until the age of 30 and that was John Riggins.

westbrook contributes to his team the most outside of LT when we are talking about rb's...

once LT gets this nagging foot injury behind him he is going to dominate again...the chargers finally have a deep threat in chambers which will give LT better fronts to work w/ which will help LT's stats

Apple

Banned

The game was that important. Have to admit he is really losing explosiveness.

Yes he has.. He did say after the game, he would of done anything they asked for if it helped the team.

Apple

Banned

LT is currently the 20th ranked RB in the league..

3.7 ypc
66 ypg

Last game 12 carries 35 yards

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Can someone help me with something? When LT shut down during the playoffs last year did he ever get surgery during the off season?

Apple

Banned

LT did NOT have surgery..

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

LT did NOT have surgery..
Then he was full of shit last playoff when he took himself out of the game. He made it sound like he had torn ligaments

Apple

Banned

When will LT be titled "healthy"?

Apple

Banned

I keep waiting and waiting for that..

That 100 yard game against the Raiders was a fluke..

The LT owner in my league benched him last week for Steve Slaton.

I keep waiting and waiting for that..

That 100 yard game against the Raiders was a fluke..

Yes that was. He broke off that 40 yard run in the last minute for the improbable cover.

Apple

Banned

LT is not a top 15 RB right now..