Here's my TOP selection for week #1

LSUpete

EOG Senior Member
My top play of week one will be CLEMSON -5.5

Here is an in depth review of Alabama, an the resoning behind my selection.

Bama Offense
returning 10 starters with the entire offensive line. The only position missing was a WR and it looks like Nikita Stover or Julio Jones will be filling that role. They can move the ball . I expect JP Wilson to have a decent year. He’s a Senior and typically even Seniors at Vandy have good years. I have always felt when the pressure is on, he folds like a tent and in big games, I expect that to continue. You can improve on reads and throws but decision making when it’s on the line never improves. You either have it or you don’t. JPW does not have it.

Their o-line is fairly weak when going against a good defensive front. I feel Caldwell the center is the best lineman on the team, not Andre Smith who is grossly overrated. He’s consistent and he’s the vocal leader of their team. The offense will go as Terry Grant the RB goes. If he goes down with an injury, they have problems. They have Glen Coffee but that’s about it. They can catch out of the backfield and under McElwain (the new OC), this will be huge for their offense. Overall, the offense returns some most of the players but they are not very strong. JPW is rhythmic. If he’s hot, it’s a good offense because he will reel off some passes in a row. If he’s not in a rhythm, he struggles. Mclewain is unlike most OC’s in that his goal is to run up the middle, throw the out, and then pull the trigger on his goal which is to work the middle of the field between the seams with passes. He throws to the TE more than any coach in the conference. He wants to put the ball between the safeties and lber’s and in the SEC, you will get your wr’s strung up with some of these safeties. This was not a good hire. He wants the ball in Grant’s hands most of the time and loves to run him on a wheel route out of the backfield.

Bama Defense
Returns 6 starters with 2 on the defensive line and 2 at lb and 2 at db. They are running a 3-4 and here is why:

DL- worst in the conference and may go down as the worst in Alabama history. They were shoved around during spring by their offensive line and it is expected that they will give up a ton of rushing yards this year. Clemson’s duo should have a field day here. No good players to talk about here. Although, they have decided to put a 350 or 400 lber at NG to plug between the guards.

LB- McClain is back, but Jimmy Johns is not….he’s tied up right now. It is expected freshman Jerrell Harris will start at 1 lber and Ezekial Knight at the other or Prince Hall. So many suspensions and injuries here, nobody knows who’s playing. McLain almost killed himself on a motorcycle accident so who really knows who will be here.

DB- All 4 have playing time. Javier Arenas and Kareem Jackson will man the corners and Justin Woodall and Rashad Johnson will man the safeties.

Overall, this defense can defend the pass in the secondary. What they can’t do is stop the run or get a rush. They have major problems and even Nick calling the plays can’t help them. Kirby Smart is not a DC and I predict Nick will be logging extra hours this year to help cover Kirby’s weaknesses.

My prediction for Bama's season is losses to Clemson in Atlanta, at Georgia, at Tennessee, at LSU, Mississippi State at home (because they can’t stop the run) and Auburn for the 7th year in a row. Traveling to Arkansas is not a lock and with Houston’s love for running and their inability to stop it, makes Ole Miss a tough one too. Tulane, Western Kentucky, and Arkansas State are the only 3 sure wins but hey, so was ULM last year. People can predict things all day long but I have a gut feeling that this may be a long year in Tuscaloosa. BTW, if JPW goes down, you haven’t seen problems. His back-up Greg Mcelroy wouldn’t QB ULM this year.

pvcpipe

EOG Master
Re: Here's my TOP selection for week #1

Quality write-up and appreciated, LSUpete. And thanks for changing that gnarley avatar.

FWIW, the game opened at 6 and has moved to 5. Good luck with your play.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

your just like the rest of those coonasses in down there in la. you are hating on alabama because we have the man who made yall great. now that all his recruits are gone we'll see what the man in the tiny hat really has. bama will play clemson very close and more than likely cover the spread

Sounds like most of the callers-in on radio shows around these parts.

:cheers

your just like the rest of those coonasses in down there in la. you are hating on alabama because we have the man who made yall great. now that all his recruits are gone we'll see what the man in the tiny hat really has. bama will play clemson very close and more than likely cover the spread

calm down buddy. Give us some reason why Bama more than likely covers the spread

GREAT WRITE-UP Pete

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Clemson is MUCH BETTER than 'Bama..and will run the ball down their stinking redneck throats!!! Bama D-line, as mentioned, BLOWS!! Nick Saban is overrated!! Clemson by 9-12 points!!!

LSUpete

EOG Senior Member

Here's the rest of my selections for Labor day weekend:

2* Kentucky-Louisville: The Wildcats still have some pretty good talent at the skill positions and expect to be improved on defense, but the quarterback situation is a real concern. Meanwhile, Louisville seeks to bounce back from a horrible season last year in Steve Kragthorpe's maiden voyage. Louisville, 24-21.

2* Vanderbilt-Miami, Ohio: Vandy is actually playing AT Miami of Ohio tonight, which is weird but apparently a growing sign of the times - mid-major schools won't just come for a paycheck anymore, they actually want a return game now. In any event, while the Commodores look like they're the trailer in the East this year they'll probably have enough gas in the tank to take care of a sagging RedHawk program. Vandy, 20-10.

3* Memphis-Ole Miss: This might be a decent game, as the Rebels usually seem to struggle with Memphis. With new coach Houston Nutt in charge, Ole Miss is going to be better. Ole Miss is going to have a strong offensive line and with Cordera Eason and Enrique Davis they should be able to run the ball the way Nutt wants to. Stopping people is another story, particularly with Greg Hardy out. Ole Miss, 37-28.

3* Tennessee-UCLA: An ad in the L.A. Times this week declares that USC's monopoly on football in that town is over, but while Rick Neuheisel brings a big name to the table and he lured Norm Chow in as his offensive coordinator the Bruins haven't done anything yet. Tennessee is the team in the SEC nobody seems to talk about, though they really do look like they could be a good club this year - assuming, of course, that they can play defense at all. Tennessee, 38-31.

4* Mississippi State-Louisiana Tech: Tech actually looks like they'll have a pretty good team, as head coach Derek Dooley found a quality QB in Georgia Tech transfer Taylor Bennett. But this game is an opportunity for Sylvester Croom to show that last year's eight wins wasn't a fluke - not long ago State was losing games like this, and if they're really moving to a higher plane that won't happen anymore. Figure on State's advantage at the line of scrimmage making the difference. State, 27-14.

tankdog23

EOG Senior Member

Well if we won the title in 07 becuase of Saban's recruits we would have to say that the 03 title was won with Dinardo's recruits. So are you prepared to say that Dinardo is what made LSU great? one "coonass" here who couldn't care less that Saban is with Bama. Les Miles has yet to lose to ULM or UAB.

Statickat

EOG Enthusiast

Great write ups Pete, I look forward to reading you all season long. Good luck

BamaGuy

EOG Addicted

LSUpete, I will agree with the fact the I think Clemson will win this game. Bama is just too young an inexperienced. I also agree totally with your evaluation of JPW, but wanted to clear a few things up. First off, Terry Grant is probably not the best running back on the team. Ingraham is the best in talent, experience just isnt there yet. Look for him to get ALOT of plays in saturday. On the D-line, Saban is plugging the 3-4 with Terrence Cody (6'6 405ib). Supposed to be good but once again lacks experience. Also with linebackers, Jarrell Harris is not going to start. He will probably get a few reps in but Danta Hightower is getting the start, Saban seems to be high on him. Jimmy Johns was a complete joke. Secondary should be fairly solid. Dont forget that Clemson, although being loaded with skill players, is very weak on the lines and linebackers. Say what you want but bama will win the battle up front and keep this close, very close. I still think Clemson pulls it out but hoping for some luck from the tide come saturday. Bottom line with Bama is get them while you can. Time is the only factor against them right now.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

LSUpete, I will agree with the fact the I think Clemson will win this game. Bama is just too young an inexperienced. I also agree totally with your evaluation of JPW, but wanted to clear a few things up. First off, Terry Grant is probably not the best running back on the team. Ingraham is the best in talent, experience just isnt there yet. Look for him to get ALOT of plays in saturday. On the D-line, Saban is plugging the 3-4 with Terrence Cody (6'6 405ib). Supposed to be good but once again lacks experience. Also with linebackers, Jarrell Harris is not going to start. He will probably get a few reps in but Danta Hightower is getting the start, Saban seems to be high on him. Jimmy Johns was a complete joke. Secondary should be fairly solid. Dont forget that Clemson, although being loaded with skill players, is very weak on the lines and linebackers. Say what you want but bama will win the battle up front and keep this close, very close. I still think Clemson pulls it out but hoping for some luck from the tide come saturday. Bottom line with Bama is get them while you can. Time is the only factor against them right now.

He might have been a joke but I challenge you to find anyone in the tri-state area who would cut you a better deal on an eight-ball.

:cheers

BamaGuy

EOG Addicted

pvc - That was hillarious, sad thing is you are probably right!

golffish

EOG Member

Here's the rest of my selections for Labor day weekend:

2* Kentucky-Louisville: The Wildcats still have some pretty good talent at the skill positions and expect to be improved on defense, but the quarterback situation is a real concern. Meanwhile, Louisville seeks to bounce back from a horrible season last year in Steve Kragthorpe's maiden voyage. Louisville, 24-21.

2* Vanderbilt-Miami, Ohio: Vandy is actually playing AT Miami of Ohio tonight, which is weird but apparently a growing sign of the times - mid-major schools won't just come for a paycheck anymore, they actually want a return game now. In any event, while the Commodores look like they're the trailer in the East this year they'll probably have enough gas in the tank to take care of a sagging RedHawk program. Vandy, 20-10.

3* Memphis-Ole Miss: This might be a decent game, as the Rebels usually seem to struggle with Memphis. With new coach Houston Nutt in charge, Ole Miss is going to be better. Ole Miss is going to have a strong offensive line and with Cordera Eason and Enrique Davis they should be able to run the ball the way Nutt wants to. Stopping people is another story, particularly with Greg Hardy out. Ole Miss, 37-28.

3* Tennessee-UCLA: An ad in the L.A. Times this week declares that USC's monopoly on football in that town is over, but while Rick Neuheisel brings a big name to the table and he lured Norm Chow in as his offensive coordinator the Bruins haven't done anything yet. Tennessee is the team in the SEC nobody seems to talk about, though they really do look like they could be a good club this year - assuming, of course, that they can play defense at all. Tennessee, 38-31.

4* Mississippi State-Louisiana Tech: Tech actually looks like they'll have a pretty good team, as head coach Derek Dooley found a quality QB in Georgia Tech transfer Taylor Bennett. But this game is an opportunity for Sylvester Croom to show that last year's eight wins wasn't a fluke - not long ago State was losing games like this, and if they're really moving to a higher plane that won't happen anymore. Figure on State's advantage at the line of scrimmage making the difference. State, 27-14.

Great writeups and always enjoy your posts. I'm glad to see you are on my two biggest plays this weekend, Clem and Tenn. Bama is said to have 10 or 12 true freshmen in the two deep with 2 or 3 starting. As for the 400lb noseguard, I think he will be a situational player at best. JMO, but no way will he be in condition to play the majority of plays over 4 qtrs.

Also, reports I'm hearing from Tenn feel the defense will be very much improved with the ? marks being depth at defensive tackle and linebacker. They feel very good about the starters.

BOL and thanks again for posting

jacksorbetter

EOG Dedicated

6'6 405 lbs!!! Holy crap.

BamaGuy

EOG Addicted

I have heard reports that hes dropped of to 370 by now but not sure if thats true, either way, thats a big sob on dline.

thestinger

EOG Member

Clemson will dominate. This line should be at least -7 in my opinion. You may not have a more over rated team to bet against than Alabama this Saturday.

LSUpete

EOG Senior Member

That Vandy win was nice, easy start to the week.

I really like Temple a lot tonight, so I'm going outside the SEC and taking them for a 4* selection.

Good Luck.

Temple 34-10

Great write-ups, Pete. Good stuff.

I totally agree with you on the Ole Miss and Miss St games, and some others as well.

Best of luck to you this season.

Nice work Pete...that is true about UT this year....pretty good offense, but depth at tackle and very little LB experience will cost them a couple of games....probably the inability to get a pass rush also, but I am hoping and being optimistic...I put UT in a teaser to get them to +2 just for insurance for a west coast trip....hold on people, here we go!!!

LSUpete

EOG Senior Member

2-0 so far this week.

If you guys have an account at a book (5dimes) that will take action on the LSU game....get on the Tigers today. App State will be talking all year about how awesome the LSU defense was today.

LSU 55-17

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Pete,

I'm on the other side of the bama/clemson game...fwiw there is obviously wise guy money on bama as the line as moved opposite public money.

2-0 so far this week.

If you guys have an account at a book (5dimes) that will take action on the LSU game....get on the Tigers today. App State will be talking all year about how awesome the LSU defense was today.

LSU 55-17

Love the LSU Play12io4j2w90