can you fix baseball games

the ape

EOG Addicted
person we rent a room to at the house was telling me baseball is fixed and im a idiot for betting on it i wonder how can baseball games be fixed i dont see it:+clueless

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: can you fix baseball games

person we rent a room to at the house was telling me baseball is fixed and im a idiot for betting on it i wonder how can baseball games be fixed i dont see it:+clueless
If you are in good with the guy calling balls and strikes you are pretty much home free. However I don't think this goes on.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

If you are in good with the guy calling balls and strikes you are pretty much home free. However I don't think this goes on.

How about some of these relievers that constantly blow games that have huge money bet on them? Seems to be the same guys over and over again and then when the money is the other way they are lights out? Or how about that reliever that never fails and makes the game end in a one run game and all 1.5 bets get hammered?

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

How about some of these relievers that constantly blow games that have huge money bet on them? Seems to be the same guys over and over again and then when the money is the other way they are lights out? Or how about that reliever that never fails and makes the game end in a one run game and all 1.5 bets get hammered?
They call this selective memory.

durito

EOG Senior Member

Relievers don't know which game they are going to pitch in.

Thus the idea that they could fix a game is ridiculous, unless perhaps you are live betting, but the $$ just isn't there.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Relievers don't know which game they are going to pitch in.

Thus the idea that they could fix a game is ridiculous, unless perhaps you are live betting, but the $$ just isn't there.

The crooked manager does tho. Kinda like when Pete Rose had a bet on the reds and managed accordingly. Just saying

How quickly some forget...

The 1919 World Series resulted in the most famous scandal in baseball history.

Eight players from the Chicago White Sox (later nicknamed the Black Sox) were accused of throwing the series against the Cincinnati Reds. Details of the scandal and the extent to which each man was involved have always been unclear.

It was, however, front-page news across the country and, despite being acquitted of criminal charges, the players were banned from professional baseball for life.

The eight men included the great "Shoeless" Joe Jackson; pitchers Eddie Cicotte and Claude "Lefty" Williams; infielders Buck Weaver, Arnold "Chick" Gandil, Fred McMullin, and Charles "Swede" Risberg; and outfielder Oscar "Happy" Felsch

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

How quickly some forget...

The 1919 World Series resulted in the most famous scandal in baseball history.

Eight players from the Chicago White Sox (later nicknamed the Black Sox) were accused of throwing the series against the Cincinnati Reds. Details of the scandal and the extent to which each man was involved have always been unclear.

It was, however, front-page news across the country and, despite being acquitted of criminal charges, the players were banned from professional baseball for life.

The eight men included the great "Shoeless" Joe Jackson; pitchers Eddie Cicotte and Claude "Lefty" Williams; infielders Buck Weaver, Arnold "Chick" Gandil, Fred McMullin, and Charles "Swede" Risberg; and outfielder Oscar "Happy" Felsch
When you talk about games being rigged in sports you can have players come out and admit it and still people wouldn't believe it. to me its so obvious a three year old should be able to see it.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If you (meaning the game fixers) can get to the team's closer, they can fix the game. The only way the closer won't get in the game is if the bad guys have a big lead. If the team who's supposed to lose can only have a small lead, the closer can make sure the other team wins. (if the team who isn't supposed to win happens to have a 1 to 3 run lead heading into the 9th.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

If you (meaning the game fixers) can get to the team's closer, they can fix the game. The only way the closer won't get in the game is if the bad guys have a big lead. If the team who's supposed to lose can only have a small lead, the closer can make sure the other team wins. (if the team who isn't supposed to win happens to have a 1 to 3 run lead heading into the 9th.
But how many games can a closer intentionally blow before it starts affecting his bottom line? He will blow enough unintentionally.

i say "no" .. maybe in the past when players played for a hot dog after the game and the owners pounded them in the ass. but not now, those guys are making a fortune... no reason to do anything other than get that check..

why would a guy that makes 3 million a year do anything to damage his stats or lose his job? he wouldnt.

phoich4

EOG Addicted

Players...no (with the exception of a SP). A manager...yes. Managers can control how long a pitcher is in the game or what pitcher pitches to certain players. He can also call for hit and runs or lack there of. Additionally, he controls the lineup and who gets to hit. The manager has a lot to do with the outcome of his team losing a game.

shooterman

EOG Veteran

If you could get a conspiracy among the pitcher, catcher, 1st baseman, and manager you could fix a baseball game, otherwise there would always be a chance to lose. There is no one player on a team that could guarantee a loss. Catcher would be the most valuable in a fix situation in my opinion.