OT: A "white wine" question

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I admit to knowing nothing about wines of any type. But I thought all white wines had some type of name like chardonnay, etc. Guess that's false.
What does it mean "white wine"? Specifically Governor's White made by the Williamsburg winery. Is that chardonnay or what?

Re: OT: A "white wine" question

I admit to knowing nothing about wines of any type. But I thought all white wines had some type of name like chardonnay, etc. Guess that's false.
What does it mean "white wine"? Specifically Governor's White made by the Williamsburg winery. Is that chardonnay or what?

The Govenor's White is likely a blended wine, meaning it is not one type or another, but a blend of two.
White wines generally fall into these catagories:

Gewurtztraminer
Pinot Blanc
Pinot Grigio
Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Rieslings
and some Zinfandels

I'm pretty good at wine, whatcha after?

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

The Govenor's White is likely a blended wine, meaning it is not one type or another, but a blend of two.
White wines generally fall into these catagories:

Gewurtztraminer
Pinot Blanc
Pinot Grigio
Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Rieslings
and some Zinfandels

I'm pretty good at wine, whatcha after?

Hello Sportsgirl,
Question for you. How was White Zinfandel introduced into the market? And by whom?
Hint: Napa Valley, California.

Hello Sportsgirl,
Question for you. How was White Zinfandel introduced into the market? And by whom?
Hint: Napa Valley, California.
I haven't the slightest clue. I could google it, but that probably ruins the challenge here.
It's a pretty cheap, crappy wine, though, I can tell you that.

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

I haven't the slightest clue. I could google it, but that probably ruins the challenge here.
It's a pretty cheap, crappy wine, though, I can tell you that.

It's my favorite. Oh well 12io4j2w90

Sutter Home about 30-40 years ago.
They had a Zinfandel crop that needed to be harvested about 6 weeks early for a reason I do not remember.
Rather than trow away the bad crop they decided to make wine out of it.

So today, White Zin is nothing more than the Zinfandel grape harvested 6 weeks early.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

I'm not a wine drinker but this Governor's White (semi-dry) has a nice flavor. So now I need to know is white wine better or worse for your health than red wine. I don't care too much for red wine flavor from the few I've tried nor white wine either. Not going to pay big dollars for any. This is only $7.14

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

I'm not a wine drinker but this Governor's White (semi-dry) has a nice flavor. So now I need to know is white wine better or worse for your health than red wine. I don't care too much for red wine flavor from the few I've tried nor white wine either. Not going to pay big dollars for any. This is only $7.14

Red wine is better for your health. But bad for teeth stains.

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

I like this one Vin Santo.
it is a luscious dessert wine ,all though it is dry there are drier versions of this wine The one i had was not a massed prodused wine,but rather a white wine of TUSCANY. I love wines made in Italy.

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

Me, too, Angel. Italian reds are my favorite. Have you ever had a Ripasso?
no but I will try it , but had this one that i beleive is similar
Viviani ?Campo Morar? Valpolicella Classico at least that is what i was told. It was very good So i bet that one is too..

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

It's my favorite. Oh well 12io4j2w90

Sutter Home about 30-40 years ago.
They had a Zinfandel crop that needed to be harvested about 6 weeks early for a reason I do not remember.
Rather than trow away the bad crop they decided to make wine out of it.

So today, White Zin is nothing more than the Zinfandel grape harvested 6 weeks early.

Your reality check may have bounced right along with your facts check. Just about everythng you say is dead wrong. First Sutter Home did develope it, but you went downhill after that.

Bob Trinchero was the winemaker at Sutter Home at the time, and they had what is called a stuck, or incomplete fermentation, where the process stopped and the wine soaked in the skins gaining a pinkish tint and a soft delicate flavor. This was actually by accident as the batch was set aside for two weeks, thinking it may be spoiled. It ended up being a accidental fortune. It saved a ton of Zinfandel old vines, because it gave a secondary use to an overproduced harvest. So the grape is harvested normally, on time, but the wine is left with the skins long enough to get some flavor and color from the residue.

He now owns several other wineries including Montevina, which I tasted last weekend. He has high end quality wines there, including a Amador zin port. He received a Wine spectator distinguished service award for lifetime contributions. And just picked up Napa Cellers. Have not been there yet. I happen to be a open CIA student, having taken wine courses from thier Greystone campus in Napa Valley, St. Helena. My instructor was Jeff Gordon, who produces many high end blushes, including one called Solorosa, which I poured at a benefit. Some of his late harvest rose's are awesome and got very high marks from Harvey in the spectator. They even have a pink festival for blush wines only.

Other winemakers all over are starting to make a high end rose, or white zin, also white merlots. Jeff also makes kosher wines, for Jewish religious purposes. I met the rabbi that blessed the wine, he was a great guy. I also taste up and down the Napa Valley, Shenandoah Valley and next week going to Lodi for Central Valley, where many blends get thier grapes from. They have the quality tonnage for less. I think you need some education in the subject. I have my college units in the wine business. I don't know if I will ever make certified wine expert. No way Sommelier.

Had a fine 2004 Charbono from Mount St. Helena last night. A lower end red from one of the best appellations in the world. Napa Valley. It's produced in Calistoga, just a bit North in the valley, right above the CIA. Also have had dinner on the terrace at the CIA, prepared by chef teachers, overlooking vineyards in the Napa Valley, where these grapes were grown. I even had a wine forum recruit me, but I passed, how boring. Norcal, home of the best wines in the world.

OF...:cocktail

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Speaking of Bob, he has another winery, Menage a Trois. It produces very nice red for a great price. You will see them at Costco. This wine holds it own vs. much higher priced wines. It's my best bet there. They have some Aussie deserts that are also unique.

Congratulazioni! Alla Tua Salute! OF...:cheers