Mo... Whats wrong with Bedard?

5 star bomb

EOG Master
I remember you were really high on Bedard and if I recall you even might have said hes the best in the game.... What is wrong with him? Is he hurt and not telling anyone or what? I havent seen him pitch this year yet but have seen his numbers and all I can say is im glad the Cubs didnt get him in a trade like they were thinking about doing

Re: Mo... Whats wrong with Bedard?

Bedard had 2 decent years in Baltimore before cashing in on FA. I'd say the real Erik Bedard showed up in Seattle.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Yea I dont think he is as good as he was hyped up to be either... although he had a great year last year

mofome

Banned

Bedard had 2 decent years in Baltimore before cashing in on FA. I'd say the real Erik Bedard showed up in Seattle.

Bedard did not cash in on FA.
Bedard was the best pitcher in baseball one season ago.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Bedard did not cash in on FA.
Bedard was the best pitcher in baseball one season ago.

Yea arguably for sure he was at least in the top 3 last year... thats why im wondering what the hell is wrong with him this year?? Have you seen him throw or heard anything about whats up?

mofome

Banned

Bedard was good, but not the best.

Who was better? Bedard was the best pitcher in baseball when healthy.

• Almost 11 k/9 #1 in all of baseball.
  • .211 BAA which was 3rd to two guys who pitch in SD and in the weakest hitting division in the game.

mofome

Banned

Yea arguably for sure he was at least in the top 3 last year... thats why im wondering what the hell is wrong with him this year?? Have you seen him throw or heard anything about whats up?

K numbers are down and walks are way up. his k/bb ratio is much worse which means hes obviously not hitting his spots. This year his FB has been down almost 1 full mph and hes not throwing his cutter nearly as much, nor is he throwing the change as much as he did a season ago.

Who was better? Bedard was the best pitcher in baseball when healthy.
  • Almost 11 k/9 #1 in all of baseball.
  • .211 BAA which was 3rd to two guys who pitch in SD and in the weakest hitting division in the game.

Sabathia, Lackey, Beckett, Carmona, Peavy, and Webb were ALL better pitchers than Bedard.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Sabathia, Lackey, Beckett, Carmona, Peavy, and Webb were ALL better pitchers than Bedard.

Tough to say. Bedard did this last year on a shit Orioles team... All of the pitchers you listed above were on playoff teams last year besides Peavy but SD only missed playoffs by 1 game and were a good team

Tough to say. Bedard did this last year on a shit Orioles team... All of the pitchers you listed above were on playoff teams last year besides Peavy but SD only missed playoffs by 1 game and were a good team

I'm not saying Bedard wasn't good last year and yes the O's were a bad team. Bedard threw 182 IP. All of the guys I listed threw 201 IP or more last year. I know Bedard spent time on the DL last year, but IP matters to me. With another 20 IP, Bedard's stats might not have been nearly as good.

shooterman

EOG Veteran

I watched him pitch today against the Red Sox. Gave up one run in the heat and Red Sox were lucky to get that. He is still a great pitcher even though he is off to a slow start this year. Pitching can be a very frustrating experience especially when you play for an awful team like the Mariners.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I watched him pitch today against the Red Sox. Gave up one run in the heat and Red Sox were lucky to get that. He is still a great pitcher even though he is off to a slow start this year. Pitching can be a very frustrating experience especially when you play for an awful team like the Mariners.

mariners are better than last years Orioles team. And AL East is way better than West....

shooterman

EOG Veteran

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit. AL east is way better than west and in the same sentence Mariners are better than last years Orioles team. Orioles 2007 win percentage was .426 compared to current Mariners win percentage of .349. Mariners are much weaker than last years Orioles even though they look better on paper.

mofome

Banned

I'm not saying Bedard wasn't good last year and yes the O's were a bad team. Bedard threw 182 IP. All of the guys I listed threw 201 IP or more last year. I know Bedard spent time on the DL last year, but IP matters to me. With another 20 IP, Bedard's stats might not have been nearly as good.

with anothre 18 IP his stats may not have been 'nearly as good'? false. The os were out of it and so they took the safe road with bedards health last season.

Bedard, Bedard, Bedard, what is wrong with him? HMMMMMMMM?

He plays for Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mofome

Banned

Bedard, Bedard, Bedard, what is wrong with him? HMMMMMMMM?

He plays for Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't figure to be something that would affect his numbers other than his wins. Wins are not a true indication of how a pitcher is doing anyway.

mofome

Banned

I had stats that backed up what i said. You, on the other hand, have brought nothing with any substance. Exactly how much do you figure his BAA and/or K/9 could have changed in the next 18 innings? Bedard also ranked 2nd in WPA. He was the best pitcher in baseball and those are some of my reasons. Not to mention the fact that he put them up vs the most expensive lineups in baseball history.

I had stats that backed up what i said. You, on the other hand, have brought nothing with any substance. Exactly how much do you figure his BAA and/or K/9 could have changed in the next 18 innings? Bedard also ranked 2nd in WPA. He was the best pitcher in baseball and those are some of my reasons. Not to mention the fact that he put them up vs the most expensive lineups in baseball history.

All of the pitchers I listed had him in one category or another. More wins, better ERA, better WHIP, more total K's.

You K/9 is a fluff stat, at best. Bedard could have EASILY been lit up if he pitches 3 - 4 more games, blowing his ERA and WHIP up.

You homerism is getting the best of you.

mofome

Banned

All of the pitchers I listed had him in one category or another. More wins, better ERA, better WHIP, more total K's.

You K/9 is a fluff stat, at best. Bedard could have EASILY been lit up if he pitches 3 - 4 more games, blowing his ERA and WHIP up.

You homerism is getting the best of you.

Wins = team result. Not a pitchers result. Wins are an awful stats to measure how well a pitcher performed.

K/9 is actually a better stat than total Ks. It shows how dominant he was while he was healthy. To call it a fluff stat indicates that you're not a baseball guy to me.

Homerism? These things ive listed are facts. He was in the toughest division in baseball to pitch in and he allowed a BAA of under .215. That is ridiculous and has nothing to do with him being an Oriole.

12io4j2w90

Wins = team result. Not a pitchers result. Wins are an awful stats to measure how well a pitcher performed.

K/9 is actually a better stat than total Ks. It shows how dominant he was while he was healthy. To call it a fluff stat indicates that you're not a baseball guy to me.

Homerism? These things ive listed are facts. He was in the toughest division in baseball to pitch in and he allowed a BAA of under .215. That is ridiculous and has nothing to do with him being an Oriole.

12io4j2w90

I agree with you on Wins, I never look at wins when judging a pitcher.

ERA and WHIP are the 2 stats that ALWAYS tell the tale about how good a pitcher is. You can have K/9 all day long. Give me a pitcher that gets guys out.

Bottom line is that Bedard wasn't the best last year and he's not going to be the best this year.

mofome

Banned

I agree with you on Wins, I never look at wins when judging a pitcher.

ERA and WHIP are the 2 stats that ALWAYS tell the tale about how good a pitcher is. You can have K/9 all day long. Give me a pitcher that gets guys out.

Bottom line is that Bedard wasn't the best last year and he's not going to be the best this year.

bedard was considered a front-runner for the award before the injury even though his team was awful. ERA and WHIP are not the best two stats for a pitcher, but they're better than wins.

BAA tells you who gets guys out, this seems to be a stat you are avoiding.

12io4j2w90

bedard was considered a front-runner for the award before the injury even though his team was awful. ERA and WHIP are not the best two stats for a pitcher, but they're better than wins.

BAA tells you who gets guys out, this seems to be a stat you are avoiding.

12io4j2w90

I'm not avoiding it at all. What you are avoiding is that Bedard had 2 good years and is coming back down to earth.

Ciao.

mofome

Banned

I'm not avoiding it at all. What you are avoiding is that Bedard had 2 good years and is coming back down to earth.

Ciao.

wrong. You have not replied to it which is exactly what 'avoiding' a question is. I didnt avoid anything, i spoke of bedards 2007 season in detail. try to follow along.

12io4j2w90

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Bedard is very good when healthy however not even close to best pitcher in mlb... I would take the following guys over him.

Webb
Zambrano
Peavy
Volquez
Lincecum
Halladay
Kazmir
Hamels
Johan

mofome

Banned

Bedard is very good when healthy however not even close to best pitcher in mlb... I would take the following guys over him.

Webb
Zambrano
Peavy
Volquez
Lincecum
Halladay
Kazmir
Hamels
Johan

he was the best in 2007 when healthy. its interesting because a lot of teams could have had volquez in the off season. Id add marcum and billingsley to that list.

He needs to man up. He has been total shit on the road until today. I cashed a nice bet against him getting a bit lucky the M's couldn't score today, but couldn't believe the bettors didn't spot this obvious home/road split. I think it will continue, his pitching really fits Safeco well and probably will do well there all year. Lefties with good fastballs can dominate there because mistakes to right handed hitters often die at the warning track.