I am playing golf tomorrow at 7:30 am est.

cassiusclay

EOG Master
I have not swung a club in 12 months and I am playing with my dickhead neighbor tomorrow, he has been telling me at picnics and parties how great he is....I am thinking this is gonna be a "Mulligan Sunday". Why guys brag about what they shoot at golf baffles me.....at some point you get called out on the course and the truth comes out. I can barely "truely" break 100 but I believe in counting every stroke unlike some of these other can't count mother fuckers....I will let you guys know how it turns out. By the way, we are going to play the easiest course in pennsylvania!

munson15

I want winners...
Re: I am playing golf tomorrow at 7:30 am est.

I've got a 7:50 tee, we both better get some rest!

munson15

I want winners...

Can I scalp Gyno's line off Hoffa's?:+textinb3

cassiusclay

EOG Master

this guy kimbo's fighting has one serious cauliflower ear.

he punched him in his big cauliflower ear!

Last edited:

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Looks like we have found another matchup for Clay:

<embed src="http://assets.espn.go.com/swf/header2007/globalHeader.swf?title=2008+Players+Championship&indexUrl=http%3A%2f%2fsports.espn.go.com%2fgolf%2findex" swliveconnect="FALSE" quality="best" scale="noScale" flashvars="" wmode="transparent" id="gh" name="flash1" menu="false" devicefont="false" salign="lt" allowscriptaccess="Always" allownetworking="All" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" height="85" width="990"> <noscript>Crunch these numbers: In 1986, Spagnolo fired a 66 on 17 - Golf

</noscript>
<!-- end flash header --> <!-- begin global nav -->

<script language="Javascript">initnav('awnav2');</script><!-- end global nav --><!-- begin content area --> <!-- begin story header --> Crunch these numbers: In 1986, Spagnolo fired a 66 on 17

By Jason Sobel
ESPN.com
(Archive)

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: May 8, 2008, 7:32 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Angelo Spagnolo will witness the thrills and spills at TPC Sawgrass' 17th hole from the safety of his own home in suburban Pittsburgh this week, beer in hand, telecast on the flat screen, both sons by his side. The fact that he won't be locked in a padded room wearing a straitjacket is a minor miracle.
"I do have a tendency to kind of fixate on what goes on at 17," he says, "after having lived through a near-death experience there."
To understand Spagnolo's brush with a watery grave, we must rewind to 1986, when Golf Digest magazine sponsored a contest to reveal America's Worst Avid Golfer. At the time, Spagnolo was 31 years old, playing at least a few times per week and carrying a handicap of 56. His most recent "competition" was a friendly match against a 71-year-old cross-handed golfer who had taken up the game only two months earlier and owned just three clubs. Although Spagnolo contends he won, the result is still the subject of much debate at his home course.
What he did win was a chance to compete against three others for the right to either be called America's worst or be exonerated in a public forum. And make no mistake, Spagnolo didn't want to be saddled with the title.
[+] Enlarge
Golf Digest
Many have struggled on the 17th hole of TPC Sawgrass, but none quite like Angelo Spagnolo.

"Angelo was clearly the ideal," remembers Bob Carney, a Golf Digest creative director who headed up the competition. "Great guy, absolutely sincere, totally in love with the game, hopelessly bad -- the Charlie Brown of golf."
Playing from the championship tees at Pete Dye's unforgiving TPC Sawgrass course, Spagnolo was ensconced in a bitter battle for worst of the worst with fellow competitor Jack Pulford, at 104 over par through 16 holes.
Then came No. 17.
Often called the most exciting hole in golf, the par-3 17th hole frequently is referred to as having an island green, but it's really a peninsula, with a thin strip of land allowing players access to the putting surface from the left side and water surrounding it from all other directions. To Spagnolo, it was intimidation personified.
"That could have been the English Channel I was trying to hit across," he says. "It was that daunting of a shot. It just looked like a near impossible idea to contemplate."
On his initial tee shot, Spagnolo found the water hazard. He hit another and found the water again. And again. And again. And again.
"It was painful to watch," Carney says. "Funny at first, and then not funny at all. You can't get a hip-high wedge shot to stop on a green like the 17th from 100 yards. Ang hit the green seven times. Those shots had no chance of staying on the green."
His swing simply didn't produce the kind of shot that could soar through the air and land safely on the putting surface. As Peter Andrews wrote in the ensuing Golf Digest article: "He settles slowly, slowly down in his stance like a nesting chicken and just as the egg is about to drop, he lashes quickly at the ball, sending his woods arching straight into the air while his irons rarely get more than shoulder high."
"My youngest son got really frustrated," Spagnolo says. "At one point, after hitting a ball in the water, there was dead silence and all we hear is, 'Aww, Dad!' And everybody broke up laughing. It was a needed relief at that point."
Unfortunately for Spagnolo, there was no true relief. Down to course-issued range balls, he continued making splashes even when it was suggested he find an alternate route.
"We sent word to Ang through his caddie that he ought to stop trying to hit the green and putt up the tee to the path and onto the green," Carney says. "His caddie relayed the message and Ang responded by shaking his head firmly. His caddie came back to us and said, 'Ang says no. He says that's not the way the hole was designed to be played.'"
Finally, eventually, exhaustingly, Spagnolo relented, grabbing his putter and whacking the ball down the left side of the hole. Then-PGA Tour commissioner Deane Beman, on hand to witness the festivities, dubbed the strip, "Angelo's Alley." It took a total of 63 strokes for Spagnolo to reach the green and three more putts to complete his single-hole score of 66, which led to a final tally of 257, "winning" the title of America's Worst Avid Golfer.
Chances are, at some point during this week's Players Championship, a tournament contender will fall victim to his own Angelo Spagnolo moment, though to a much lesser extent, of course. As with Sean O'Hair in last year's final round, an unseemly swing at an untimely juncture will lead to a precipitous fall from the leaderboard.
Spagnolo, for one, will feel said player's pain from his living room and offer his deepest sympathies. "Anytime I see that, it just breaks my heart," he says. "I don't get any kind of pleasure from that. If anything, it should underscore the difficulty of that hole."
Jason Sobel covers golf for ESPN.com. He can be reached at Jason.Sobel@espn3.com<mailto:jason.sobel@espn3.com></mailto:jason.sobel@espn3.com>.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

decent day today, weather was beautiful but play was slow. the course is only 4834 yds and has a rating of 63. my neighbor can play well and he did today. neighbor 82, clay 90. i shot a 49 on the front and a 41 on the back but this course is extremely forgiving and wide open. i'll take the first round of the year 90 and hit the driving range this week. it was great to play with a good golfer, made me play better. worst and best hole of the day: par 4 277 yds, i drove the green and then 3 putted. today i was driving for show but not putting for dough....

Had to follow the steam Clay...

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1226763 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid">05-31-08, 08:19 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #3 (permalink) <INPUT id=plist_1226763 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; PADDING-TOP: 0px" type=checkbox value=0 name=plist[1226763] inlineModID="inlineMod"> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Jimmy Hoffa<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1226763", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1226763 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: I am playing golf tomorrow at 7:30 am est.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Clay +115
Neighbor -107 (and steaming)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

munson15

I want winners...

I shot 86 at our home course, but my partner developed a bad case of the shanks and we lost the match 3-down. Opponent's better player had a 78. Hope it was as nice where you played, weather was perfect with just enough wind to make you think about club selection.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

I shot 86 at our home course, but my partner developed a bad case of the shanks and we lost the match 3-down. Opponent's better player had a 78. Hope it was as nice where you played, weather was perfect with just enough wind to make you think about club selection.
south of philly, great weather. i was rusty, using a wedge when i should have been using a 9, normal stuff. it took about 10 holes to shake the dust off....

munson15

I want winners...

I shot 86 at our home course, but my partner developed a bad case of the shanks :eek: and we lost the match 3-down. Opponent's better player had a 78.

munson15

I want winners...

south of philly, great weather. i was rusty, using a wedge when i should have been using a 9, normal stuff. it took about 10 holes to shake the dust off....
First round in a while can work either way. Sometimes you play really well because your mind is clear of any extraneous thoughts. Other times, the rust is too much to overcome because you have no feel for the swing and what you're trying to get the ball to do.

munson15

I want winners...

BTW, I think it would be fun if a bunch of us talked about our weekend rounds on a regular basis. Always nice to hear what the boys are up to on the links.:cheers

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I used to love to play early when I was younger, but now my body is just too stiff and sore in the early AM to play. Living in the PDT zone, I'll watch the golf on TV today and then go play. It's hot in the summer but I'll pretty much have the whole course to myself and that last hour of daylight, when it cools off just a tad, is the best time of the day.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

I used to love to play early when I was younger, but now my body is just too stiff and sore in the early AM to play. Living in the PDT zone, I'll watch the golf on TV today and then go play. It's hot in the summer but I'll pretty much have the whole course to myself and that last hour of daylight, when it cools off just a tad, is the best time of the day.

the course i played today used to be owned by ron jaworski back in the day. when he owned it, it was horrific to play on but they would let us play the front 4 over and over again. my buddies and i would show up at 5 and play until dark, i personally agree and think it is the best time to play.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Had to follow the steam Clay...

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1226763 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid">05-31-08, 08:19 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right>#3 (permalink) <INPUT id=plist_1226763 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 5px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; PADDING-TOP: 0px" type=checkbox value=0 name=plist[1226763] inlineModID="inlineMod"> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Jimmy Hoffa<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1226763", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1226763 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: I am playing golf tomorrow at 7:30 am est.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Clay +115
Neighbor -107 (and steaming)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
another winning wager hoffa!