Parents Charged With Neglect After Child Suffocates - Alcohol found in Girl's system

Blondie

EOG Master
Parents Charged With Neglect After Child Suffocates

Alcohol Found In Girl's System, Bottle

INDIANAPOLIS --
The parents of a 7-month-old girl who died in March were charged with felony neglect after toxicology tests revealed that the girl had ingested alcohol, police said.Faith Reed died of suffocation in an upstairs bedroom of a duplex in the 1800 block of Morris Street when she fell off a bare mattress and got wrapped up in a garbage bag, 6News' Tanya Spencer reported.

Police said Reed also had alcohol in her system and in her baby bottle.The child's parents, Kathryn Turner and William Reed, told police they had been drug addicts. Each was jailed on $100,000 bond."Please -- I think she's dead. Please hurry," Turner told a 911 dispatcher on the day the child died. "She was sleeping upstairs, and I went to go check on her and she had a plastic bag."An autopsy revealed that the baby had been dead for some time before her 4-year-old sister found her unresponsive, police said.Doctors said Faith Reed's diaper had not been changed for up to 12 hours and that conditions in the west-side duplex where the child lived were filthy.

"The child said something to the effect of 'sissy falls off the bed a lot,'" said Indianapolis Metro police Lt. Jeff Duhamell. "It's just traumatic and I can't imagine a 4-year-old, how she's doing now. To see her little sister ? with a bag around her head and not breathing has to be pretty traumatic."Detectives said there was feces in the bathtub and mold growing on dishes scattered throughout the home.Dirty diapers, cigarette butts and unidentified pills were found lying on the floor on which the child slept, according to police. Officers said there was so much trash that the room's floor couldn't be seen.The landlord, who didn't want to be identified, gave 6News several pictures from inside the home that she said were taken at the time of the baby's death."The trash wasn't going out. The kids were filthy. They were always crying," the landlord said.Child Protective Services had investigated the conditions in the home twice before, Spencer reported. The child was born with cocaine and marijuana in her system, police said."I knew those kids were in danger weeks before this happened. I made a call to CPS. It was supposed to be being monitored. It's obvious that wasn't happening," the landlord said.Police said they are not sure what kind of alcohol was in the baby's system, but they did take a bottle of tequila from the home for evidence.The couple's 4- and 2-year-old daughters are staying with family members. Reed and Turner are expected in court on Tuesday.<!--stopindex-->
Copyright 2008 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Parents Charged With Neglect After Child Suffocates - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

texansfan

EOG Master
Re: Parents Charged With Neglect After Child Suffocates - Alcohol found in Girl's system

"Child Protective Services had investigated the conditions in the home twice before" WTF? What were they waiting for exactly?

Blondie

EOG Master
Re: Parents Charged With Neglect After Child Suffocates - Alcohol found in Girl's system

CPS is a joke in many places. Around here there never seems to be enough evidence for those that REALLY need to be removed from the home... until it is too late.

texansfan

EOG Master

I realize that CPS can't be everywhere and save every child but there seems to be more than enough evidence to show those kids were in danger.

Blondie

EOG Master

I agree...

It really is a shame, as a mother of four it breaks my heart to see this...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

The tears you hear being shed are those from Parents in China who LOVED their kid and treated him/her like the most important person in their lives - and lost their kid in the Quake last week - and now have to read about NUMNUTS like this and how they treated THEIR KID!

yeah, life is fair......NOT!

Blondie

EOG Master

Very true Winky. Life is not fair, and no amount of justice can ever be implemented on these parents....

cassiusclay

EOG Master

this part was funny, sorry

when she fell off a bare mattress and got wrapped up in a garbage bag, 6News' Tanya Spencer reported.

who in there right mind would ever believe that? these people should be neutered.