We all hear the bad beat stories. How about your best win?

"7"

EOG Member
I mean a win that you should not have got. One that you had no business winning or had written off completely only to win it.

For me, it was the play-in game last season between Colorado & San Diego. I had a really big wager on the Rocks and was sweating the whole game. It goes extras and that little runt Hairston hits a 2-run homer in the top half of the inning. Trevor Hoffmann comes in and I got up and turned the TV off, said a myriad of curse words, pounded a beer and went to sleep.

I wake up the next morning to see that I actually won the bet and Matt Holliday's face was bloody. I think he was out at the plate after watching the replays on ESPN 25 times the next day but, I'll still take the money.

I actually used the money from that big win to launch a very successful college betting season for me.

How about you all?

cassiusclay

EOG Master
Re: We all hear the bad beat stories. How about your best win?

can't remember the college football game but it was in the mid 90's...giving 12, game went to overtime, i left work, by the time i got home my phone was ringing off the hook, i chalked it up as a loss but my team scored 1st in ot and made the extra point, fumble recovery for a td made it 13....you can't make that shit up. wish i could remember the game...it was late in the ncaa season.

Had the Colts a few years back in that MNF game against the Bucs the year after Tampa won the Super Bowl I believe

Came back from 35-14 down with like 5 minutes left to force OT

Then got that bogus leaping call on the FG attempt to give V-Jack another chance, which he nailed

Hit spread and ML

Had the Colts a few years back in that MNF game against the Bucs the year after Tampa won the Super Bowl I believe

Came back from 35-14 down with like 5 minutes left to force OT

Then got that bogus leaping call on the FG attempt to give V-Jack another chance, which he nailed

Hit spread and ML

That was a great one! I remember that game. Holy cow.

I had the over in a college hoops game a few years back. Cincy/N. Iowa I think. Anyway, it was one of those games where, halfway through the first half you know its going under. It wasnt on TV so I was kinda watching on Yahoo while doing other stuff on the computer. It goes to double OT and barely gets over in the last few seconds.

Hilarious.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I had the money line in the Colts amazing comeback, but even better was a MNF Pitt/Jax, lets say I was on the taking end of Pitt + and a parlay Pitt+ ov. I was going to get my ass handed to me, even though Jax moved the ball up and down the field they kept dropping passes in the end zone, settling for figgies. I was deader than dead. Pitt was lining up for a fg, I think to win last play of the game. I was practically in surrender mode, as I should have been because make or miss, I am still dead. My oldest son, who was young at the time says, come on Dad, don't you beleive in miracles? Jax block the fg, it bounces behind the line, defender picks it up on one perfect bounce and runs down the sideline to score the covering TD. Cowler even stuck his leg out like he wanted to trip the guy. I beleived in miracles after that. All action lost on that can't even put odds on it play. Also was on right side music city miracle.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

2 come to mind

I had the Bills -3 in that playoff game with Houston and while i got a push and not a win from it - when you are down 35-3 and don't lose your money you consider it a win

Jan 2, 1992. a friend and i were in vegas to see fullerton get creamed by UNLV. but while at the Stardust we saw the line for UCSB @ Pacific and saw it was PICK. we knew that was a bad line because UCSB was gonna kill them. so we bet A LOT more than normal because it was a LOCK!

so we are at the game when we hear Pacific UP 9 or 10 @ 1/2-time. we hear Pacific is STILL up 9 with 10 to go but never get a score after that - and we are dying!

so after the game i head over to the other side by the announcers and i see Ross Porter - he did the game for UNLV on TV. so i ask if he has a final score knowing it will be bad news and i just lost more money than i could afford to lose

he tells me Ray Kelly hit a shot with 2 seconds to go to give Santa Barbara a 1 point win. i yell over to my friend ont he other side of the court and triumphantly raise both hands over my head and we both go NUTS. we were like 2 school girls who got to see Hannah Montana in concert

we lost by 30-something but acted as if we won by that much. so i go back to the Stardust to cash my tickets and collect my money. i made a bet across the street at the Riviera and went to go cash that, too. while there is see a ticket laying on the floor

UCSB -1.5

here it is some 16+ years later and i NEVER forgot the UCSB ticket laying on the floor and it taught me to get the best number possible or don't bet the game

so a few weeks later UCSB comes to Titan Gym and after the game we wait and see Ray Kelly and thank him - telling him why we are so grateful. he was with his mother who asked what his share was. we told her if he was gonna stay in town (it was a Sat and they drove back after the game) we would have treated him to something

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

Indians' comeback one for the history books
Indians become third team in history to win after down by a dozen

Monday, August 6, 2001

By JOHN HICKEY
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians spent the better part of the past three days getting a lesson in how many ways the Mariners can hurt a team.

The Mariners got a lesson last night in how important it is not to take the Indians -- or the inevitability of victory -- too lightly.

Seattle bolted to 12-0 and 14-2 leads, seemingly in complete control after 6 1/2 innings. After wins Friday and Saturday, the Mariners just had to wait for the requisite 27 outs to be filed to take Game 3 of the four-game series.

It didn't happen. History did happen.

Jolbert Cabrera singled off Jose Paniagua with one out in the bottom of the 11th inning, giving Cleveland a 15-14 victory and completing one of the greatest comebacks in baseball history. All but two of the Indians' runs came from the seventh inning on.

"It was a fluke, a freak thing," Bret Boone said.

Boone got most of the night off, then entered the game as a pinch hitter in the top of the 11th, striking out against eventual winning pitcher John Rocker.

"You never see a game like this," Boone said. "Never. No matter how good your offense is, you don't come back from 12 down. But they did it. It was ugly, but they got the job done."

The five runs that tied the game came with two outs against three of the Mariners' top relievers -- Norm Charlton, Jeff Nelson and Kazuhiro Sasaki, including Omar Vizquel's game-tying bases-loaded triple off Sasaki.

"I'll bet you money that doesn't happen again," said Charlton, who pitched the Mariners out of a jam in the eighth inning -- and into a jam in the ninth. "With the exception of Arthur (Rhodes), the relievers didn't throw well."

No team has ever come back from 13 runs down to win a game. Two teams had come back from 12 runs down, however. The Indians became the third team to scratch their names into the record books next to the 1911 Detroit Tigers and the 1925 Philadelphia A's.

"It's crazy," starting pitcher Aaron Sele said. "It's one of those games that gets away from you."

Manager Lou Piniella had another idea.

"What they did is almost impossible to do," Piniella said.

After considering it for a moment, he broke into a laugh. "But they did it. What can I say?"

Paniagua, the seventh pitcher used by Piniella as he went through his entire bullpen, got the first out of the 11th. Nothing went right for Paniagua from that point on. Kenny Lofton singled. Vizquel singled. And Cabrera, a late entry into the game playing only because the game was as good as over in the sixth inning, singled to left. Mark McLemore's throw to the plate couldn't outrun Lofton.

It was perhaps the worst performance of the year for the best bullpen in the majors. In 3 2/3 innings, John Halama, Charlton, Nelson, Sasaki, Rhodes and Paniagua allowed 15 hits and 10 runs.

To give those numbers some perspective, in games between July 6-Aug. 4, the bullpen gave up only eight runs total.

"No question it was uncharacteristic for us," Piniella said. "When there were two out (in the ninth, Seattle still leading by five), I thought we'd put it away."

But that's not the way it happened.

Three homers in the seventh and eighth innings helped the Indians get back in the game. But the greatest part of the comeback was yet to come.

Charlton got two outs, but also put two men on base. Nelson didn't get anyone out, walking Wil Cordero and giving up a full-count, bases-loaded single to Einar Diaz that scored the inning's first two runs.

That brought on Sasaki. If the Mariners thought that bringing in their closer was the answer, they were to learn quickly it was not. Lofton singled to left, reloading the bases. Enter Vizquel.

Only about one-quarter of the sellout crowd of 42,494 was on hand at Jacobs Field when Sasaki and Vizquel met.

The former Mariner had a terrific at-bat. Down 1-2 in the count, he took a pair of balls to run the count full, then fouled off two pitches to stay alive. The eighth pitch from Sasaki was one Vizquel could handle. He rifled it into the right-field corner. Charles Gipson had trouble digging the ball out, and by the time he got the throw back in, Vizquel was on third and the game was tied.

"To come up with five runs with two outs, it's just one of those things that happens," Piniella said. "What can I say?"

The Mariners haven't had a loss as crushing as this one all season. Who has, for that matter? The question now is how well the Mariners come back.

Boone, for one, has no doubt that, as ugly as this game looked, it's just one pimple on an otherwise unblemished face.

"It stinks, but what can you do?" Boone said. "It's over. And if we do what we've done all year, come back from tough losses, we'll be all right.

"When we walk in the clubhouse tomorrow, this one will be behind us."

INDIANS 15, MARINERS 14

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

bills down big vs houston in a p/o game ,came backand won.and got me out of a bad week
mia oak mnf ,needed mia -3.5 bad and won in ot by 6 on a surprise pass ,end of the endzone catch. many -10 cbb and cover in ot

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

bills down big vs houston in a p/o game ,came backand won.and got me out of a bad week
mia oak mnf ,needed mia -3.5 bad and won in ot by 6 on a surprise pass ,end of the endzone catch. many -10 cbb and cover in ot

FRANK REICH

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

yup, i was bummed out drunk on the coach face in the pillow and it was like i was reborn ,could not f/n believe it

michael777

EOG Dedicated

about 20 years ago i bet a $50 perfecta at the old detroit race course,the teller punched it wrong,i said cancel it,he said are you sure?.i said fuck it,i will keep it,got back a little over $2200

shooterman

EOG Veteran

Super Bowl XXV between Giants and Bills. I already had the biggest bet of my life in (Giants +6.5 for 5K) but I also was playing a decent middle on the game total. I believe I had the numbers 38 through 40 for 2K aside or 2.5K a side and when Norwood went wide right I started doing the big middle score jig. Scott Norwood was an awesome placekicker and I could not believe someone as good as him would actually screw up when I needed it.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Super Bowl XXV between Giants and Bills. I already had the biggest bet of my life in (Giants +6.5 for 5K) but I also was playing a decent middle on the game total. I believe I had the numbers 38 through 40 for 2K aside or 2.5K a side and when Norwood went wide right I started doing the big middle score jig. Scott Norwood was an awesome placekicker and I could not believe someone as good as him would actually screw up when I needed it.

i had the giants +220ish on the M/l. was working at a LA TV station in the sports dept watching the game with all else there - and we all were in vegas a few days before and all had bets on NYG M/L. when Norwood missed the FG we went nuts - we won like $50 which for us at the time might as well have been $5,000. the sports anchor that day asked us why we were so happy and when we told him he was not happy to hear it and said we shouldn't be gambling because it affects our impartiality. honest

shooterman

EOG Veteran

I take it the sports anchor was a little full of himself? God I just hate tight ass Pilgrims. Too bad the Mayflower didn't go down in a storm so some of the good ole gambling Brits could have settled this country instead...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I take it the sports anchor was a little full of himself? God I just hate tight ass Pilgrims. Too bad the Mayflower didn't go down in a storm so some of the good ole gambling Brits could have settled this country instead...

nah - just the opposite really and we have been good friends for 25+ years. he is straight laced and just opposed to what we did. he is a great guy and a great friend and while i disagree with his stance i respect it and him

EJLuv99

EOG Enthusiast

Jets big comeback win over Dolphins on mnf about 8 or 9 years ago .
Watched it with friends at a sports bar . Was totaly unexpected and pretty sweet to get the win , was for a measly $100 .

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Churchill downs, played a WPS, Ex B, Tri B and then realized the cost was more than I wanted. It was about a $200 ticket. I watched one of my ponies come from dead last at the 3rd turn, he got up and when the dust settled, he was in the money & I hit every wager and collected about $700 after making a wager for more $ than I wanted to bet and what I considered a mistake. Bless his soul, my grandfather was so happy. He cashed the ticket just to see the payoff himself. Made for a great day at the track. That comes to mind.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

can't remember the college football game but it was in the mid 90's...giving 12, game went to overtime, i left work, by the time i got home my phone was ringing off the hook, i chalked it up as a loss but my team scored 1st in ot and made the extra point, fumble recovery for a td made it 13....you can't make that shit up. wish i could remember the game...it was late in the ncaa season.

Cassius I think I know the game you were talking about. I believe it was USC and Oregon State because I had the same action along with the over!

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Dale Jr's win at Richmond last year @ 30+/1 was a nice score.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Jets big comeback win over Dolphins on mnf about 8 or 9 years ago .
Watched it with friends at a sports bar . Was totaly unexpected and pretty sweet to get the win , was for a measly $100 .

uggggggggggggggggggh

we do Team QB in our fantasy football league. we had NYJ and some other team and sat Vinny and played the other one and we lost by a few because the other one didn't do much and Vinny went nuts!

EJLuv99

EOG Enthusiast

uggggggggggggggggggh

we do Team QB in our fantasy football league. we had NYJ and some other team and sat Vinny and played the other one and we lost by a few because the other one didn't do much and Vinny went nuts!

First year I played fant football was in a 6 person head to head leauge I drafted Vinny , was 1999 I think . He got hurt in the 1st game of the year I if I remember right was out for the year , was pretty bad luck . I also drafted Manning to Harrison connection and S. Davis rb for the Skins , these moves were before everyone knew they would be great . Finished 2nd , deciding game came down to the last day of the season and I lost . Was to my Dad so was all good , he won the leauge . My family are die hard fant players (live scoring head to head and all) . Is like a religion to them for baseball and football .